Soldering Equipment & Advice

Xecuter

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 6, 2002
Asia
team-xecuter.com
sorry noobie question but alcohol? like? hmm i'm just tempted to try with out flux :( im sure i can wait one more day lol just trying to get my soldering up to standards,, lol been taking things apart all day, so isn't there a subatute instead of flux? was speakin to someone they used to just use wd40 on everythin they soldered but i'm going back a good 15 year(this CB/Rig radio days)
I suggest you ignore any of the advice you have been given here as thats what you are gonna do anyway. And then naturally don't use the forums for support to solve your 360 destruction.

johnsondabeaut

Noob Account
Jun 11, 2010
why you trying to flame me down i said i can wait one more day... and guess what still didnt do anything, waiting apon my lift to go to maplins to buy the no clean flux pen and more solder as the one i have is abit bigger then the one suggested to use.

anyways i simple asked alcohol like because i was gonna buy the flux but not the no clean one.. but might as well spend the extra few quid i would spent on the alcohol to get the pen no clean flux....
i'm on this forum to learn not to be a d!ck to those who know less knowlegd than me...

anyways thank you Xmods and Modmonster for reply

johnsondabeaut

Noob Account
Jun 11, 2010
That is why i asked about the wd40 i wouldn't of used it untill i asked someone off one of the forum i go to..
maybe i read your post wrong but i'm sorry if i took it the wrong way, how i read it, your telling me to ignore any advise here as i would do anyways, if someone gives me advise id listen to them, i'm not that much of a noob to actully go do the oppersite to someone who got exp and knowledge of what they are doing... but i've apologised(*if that is how it spelt)

anyways got a question if anyone would like to answer.. i went to maplin got lost as got gaven the wrong directions when i got there they ran out of flux, i ended up gettin some solder with flux in it, would that work or would i still need to buy flux ?

Last edited:
That is why i asked about the wd40 i wouldn't of used it untill i asked someone off one of the forum i go to..
maybe i read your post wrong but i'm sorry if i took it the wrong way, how i read it, your telling me to ignore any advise here as i would do anyways, if someone gives me advise id listen to them, i'm not that much of a noob to actully go do the oppersite to someone who got exp and knowledge of what they are doing... but i've apologised(*if that is how it spelt)

anyways got a question if anyone would like to answer.. i went to maplin got lost as got gaven the wrong directions when i got there they ran out of flux, i ended up gettin some solder with flux in it, would that work or would i still need to buy flux ?
Although it is said to use flux separately, but if you have a little bit of experience in soldering, then the flux cored solder should be fine for you.

It is just recommended to use flux separately because it can be applied to the points easily and helps especially those people in soldering to these small points who are not experienced with soldering.

johnsondabeaut

Noob Account
Jun 11, 2010
i personally use separate flux as well but thats just me. is there nowhere else you could get it from?
you would think so living in london but no :( i walked an easy 8-10 miles up and down high streets, even went in tv repair shops but they get theres online.. well looks like its fleabay for me.. thank you for your replys everybody... :D

Last edited:

johnsondabeaut

Noob Account
Jun 11, 2010
well i ordered it over 2 weeks ago have had arguments with the seller cause she told me i was lying and so what ahah it only got delievered to my old address :( so someone is bringing it up today for me yay... )

Xmods

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2002
that will work fine for basic soldering just clean with a q tip and alcohol when your done with your work

[email protected]

Noob Account
Aug 21, 2005
gnutellafan here. sorry, posting via friends account

Anyway, after reading this guide my soldering really has turned around:

1. Clean your solder tip will. If its old/oxidized/black, then get a new tip. Clean the tip with rubbing alcohol, clean with flux and tin liberally (spread solder over the tip).

2. Invest in the fiberglass abrasive pen. Lightly brush the older points. You will need to brush a bit more on the DB1F1 point (but still lightly)

3. Clean all points with rubbing alcohol. I used a cue tip

4. Apply a small amount of flux to all points. I used a cue tip, twisted to a tight point, to dab just enough on each point.

5. Use a small diameter solder. I used this
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062717
and was very happy

6. remember the solder flows towards the heat. If the surface is well prepared the solder will be attracted to the solder point and the heat. Try to hold the solder on the opposite side of the point as the iron.

7. VERY IMPORTANT! Clean all solder points again with rubbing alcohol to remove any residual flux.

Last edited by a moderator:

kiewee123

Noob Account
Jul 18, 2009
Can someone explain how to actually use the flux pen? I bought the one you recommended, from Maplin, but it has no instruction and I can find barely any information on how to actually use it correctly and when to apply it.

Thanks in advance,
K

MasterCyc

VIP Member
Jul 1, 2010
Northern Ireland
flux pen is easy to use all you do is where you are going to solder make sure its dust free and clean
push down on the flux pen then solder where you fluxed
simple ;)

kiewee123

Noob Account
Jul 18, 2009
flux pen is easy to use all you do is where you are going to solder make sure its dust free and clean
push down on the flux pen then solder where you fluxed
simple ;)
Great, cheers mate. Thought so, but not having used one before wanted to make sure!

Is it alright if I blob it a little, or should I be aiming for the exact place I want the solder to 'land'?

Thanks
K

jfelding

VIP Member
Feb 9, 2010
Denmark
Can someone explain how to actually use the flux pen? I bought the one you recommended, from Maplin, but it has no instruction and I can find barely any information on how to actually use it correctly and when to apply it.

Thanks in advance,
K
Just apply it to where you are soldering. If you are using the quick-solder pads, you should apply flux to both the board's points and the points on the xbox. Then you just start soldering, and the joints will be much easier to make!
I dont know the exact pen your using, but with mine, i have to push the tip of the pen against the place im applying flux to. That makes the tip be wet, so that you can actually apply it.

Hope it helps! :)

deadcold94

Noob Account
Jul 19, 2010
hello,

i live in canada and radio shack is not doing international shipping so i was wondering if anyone could help me find the products listed or very similar ones that will ship to canada

jorgesalas831

VIP Member
Aug 2, 2010
California
Very good post will help out a lot to the new people thinking about doing internal modding overall

Support Our Sponsors