Soldering Equipment & Advice

skeebo_max

Noob Account
Feb 4, 2011
Tip for Canadians! I had a hard time finding flux. Everyone at the Source would just say that it's in the solder and not to worry about it Well, this made it near impossible to get a proper dump for me (I had no prior experience with soldering)

Flux at Canadian Tire. That tube where you can't see the label is the flux. Make sure you get the one that says"Not for Plumbing". The solder is not useful for this application.

Use this solder from the Source. It's really thin stuff. I used this iron from the Source set at 15w. Get some de-soldering braid and follow the tutorials. I could not believe how easy it was compared to what I was trying originally.

faz2k2000

Nov 4, 2011
Bangladesh
I am a "do my own things type", so decided to do my RGH all by myself and started to learn soldering. This is a quick peek what i did at my first try without flux

What do you think guys? Thanks

Chickenfloss

Apr 27, 2011

k3pt!

Noob Account
Dec 6, 2011
Glazgov, Schotland.
rosin flux is generally okay to leave on a board, especially when it comes to chip installs with tiny via points being used and the possibility of traces being messed up by a heavy hand.

Anything with 80% or above alcohol should be enough, use a cotton bud and swab the area lightly and it'll take any unwanted flux off the board.

as for equiptment advice - Antex CS18 with a 1mm flat point tip - had it since my old ps2 modding days and it's still going strong.

J3rk My Turk3y

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2010
Manchester

J3rk My Turk3y

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2010
Manchester
I have been on your site mate will be ordering some goodies when i finished what i have :)

Reactions: BGAMods

H3rmaN

Dec 4, 2011
NE Scotland
as for equiptment advice - Antex CS18 with a 1mm flat point tip - had it since my old ps2 modding days and it's still going strong.
Dunno if it's just me, but all the Antex irons I have ever used have failed in a very short period of time (1-2 months), so I have given up on them now and stick to Weller irons now and have never had a problem.

That ipa is very expensive. I pay £5/litre.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk
I was thinking just that myself! I got 1L of IPA for £6.50 delivered, and I can get Chemwick for almost half the price of that stuff Maplins sell, and I prefer it to Goot Wick (but Goot Wick does work well).

That's one reason I am not too keen on Maplins, it's overpriced, so I only go there if I really need to. Otherwise I order online and as long as I order before 8pm it will be delivered by 5pm the next day if it's in stock, oh and delivery is free too because I have a business account. :)

H3rmaN

Dec 4, 2011
NE Scotland
lol, I'm the opposite, I find Chemwick to work very well, better than gootwick for my needs, but goot wick still did the job fine, I just find Chemwick does it better. Each to their own tho, whatever works for you.

J3rk My Turk3y

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2010
Manchester
I agree H3rman maplin is overpriced but if you need it on the day you can just walk right in. Thats the only reason i use them alot as i hate waiting for the postman.

JonesyIV

Sep 19, 2009
Thanks for this post - i've done a little soldering in the past but i'm going to get some more practice before I attempt the RGH.

Just one question - for such work is there a recommended tip size for the iron? I've got a 25W Antex iron which had a 3mm tip fitted. However, this is badly oxidised as i've not done any work for a while and I figure it might be a little on the large size.

Looking at replacements I can see they come in sizes ranging from 0.5mm and up. Can someone please suggest which might be the optimum size for the kind of work i'm looking at? The solder points for the RGH seem quite small so i'm thinking a 0.5mm tip might be preferrable. Alternatively I can readily get hold of a 2.3mm tip and as they sell them in multi-packs it works out a cheaper option, but would such a tip be too big?

I'll also be using the same iron to fit the QSB's needed for me to dump my NAND.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

coolkiddj12

VIP Member
Jun 12, 2011
Thanks for the tip Ukconsolesrepair, ill be using your advice