RGH Soldering equipments for RGH

OSxSnowleopard

Jan 24, 2014
Hello guys,
I have recently bought a brandnew x360 e 4gig model, after selling my old jasper(rgh2). and I would like tto rgh it myself. So I'm going to shop some soldering equipments soon. But after reading many guides, I still have few queries.-)

1. I might not be able to find hakko, weller ect brands(not sure | 50/50 chance). Please suggest what should i look into before picking up 15w soldering iron(mini-max tip size ect?). I don't want to spend way too much because I don't have much else to do with it after finishing thergh.-)
2. There are few types of tip cleaners like wet sponge, brass wool ect, which one to get.
3. Here sizes are mostly written in mm. So, Rosin core solder 0.032" = approx. 0.8mm(?) and is it ok to use 63/37 instead of 60/40(if not available).
4. Desoldering Braid(solder wick). Any suggestion which size should I get.
5. Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol is not easily available(medical use only). But I have articlean. Will it work as flux cleaner(2nd bottle | purifier).

Thanks.

Taijigamer2

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2013
England
Hi, where abouts are u from? A lot of that stuff can be mail ordered from eBay or thebgastore.com. I'm sure u'll receive many answers from the guys (and girls) on this site but here's what I've found.

1. A low watt soldering iron with fine tip should suffice but its better and safer to use a variable watt ESD iron, aoyue, weller or hakko are good.
2. A copper wool tip cleaner is better than a wet sponge as the sudden temp cooling from the wet sponge gradually shortens the life of the tip.
3. 0.8 mm is a good size for Xbox soldering, anything between 0.5 and 1.0mm is good.
4. Not sure if size matters but I always use between 3mm and 5mm wick.
5. U definately want some sort of iso alcohol, either 70% rubbing alcohol or better. Cleans the board up nice.

good luck with your mods.

Reactions: OSxSnowleopard

OSxSnowleopard

Jan 24, 2014
Thanks Taijigamer2.-) I'm from India and I always shop from amazon(us) and hardly use ebay(trust issue).-P But mostly avoid electronic items from US because the power standard in US is 120v 60Hz and here it's 230v 50Hz. Thanks gain you have answered all of myqueries, nothing much else left to ask.-P Only reason I'm trying to install rgh my self is because console modding shops doesn't offer tx chips here. They only rgh using ****** chips and I don't want to install cheap glitch chips just to save few bucks. Even though I never had ,heard or seen any issue with ****** chips here and they take max 40mins to install it, where I'm going to take a whole day I guess.-P

Reactions: Taijigamer2

OSxSnowleopard

Jan 24, 2014
Hey guys sup.-)I'm continuing my further querries here instead of making anew thread. I need to finalise glitch components for my x360e 4gb(corona v6). So far I can understand that I need basically threecompulsory items for corona v6:-
1. Xecuter Corona 4GB RW QSB V4. (For taking and re writing hacked xbox NAND image).
2. TX postfix adapter v2. (No idea what it does).-)
3. CR4 XL. (Glitch chip). (Releasing soon).-)
Under xbox rgh hardware suggestion thread(s), there is one more qsb mentioned called jr(j-runner?) v2 qsb. I'm still not completely clear about its use. But still fairly understand that it contains rater functionality to fine tune glitch chip to get better boot time(?). Do I have to use this jr v2 qsb or is it optionl?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Taijigamer2

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2013
England
Sounds like your almost ready. Be sure to practice soldering on a dead board or other pcb before tackling this hack if u haven't got prior soldering experience.

1. V6 has a 4gb NAND instead of 16mb so yes u will need the 4gb NAND kit.
2. The postout points on the v6 have been removed so u will need a post fix adapter which slaps straight on the CPU.
3. The cr4xl is definately a good choice as it has been thoroughly tested with stubborn corona boards and gives great boot times.

the jr-programmer v2 is not a qsb but a circuit board which allows read/write of 16mb NAND over the spi in the southbridge. It also allows the use of postout logging and rater for fine tuning but as u have a 4gh NAND and the cr4 doesn't use full post, u won't need it. The cr4 has been designed to require very little tuning if any (as far as I'm led to believe) we are all eagerly awaiting this new toy. Good luck with your mods.

Last edited:

OSxSnowleopard

Jan 24, 2014
Thanks for replying fast Taijigamer2 and correcting me on jr-programmer v2.-) yes I think I need to practice and improve my soldering skill before touching the x360s motherboard. Right now I have +6yr oldNokia cell phone(still working though ), Onida VHS/VCR and cheap internet modem(given by ISP). Also can you please suggest which site is more reliable to shop tx products(internationally). I found xconsole.com completely out of stock on almost everything, while modsupplier.com still has postfix v2 adapter(only).
I think I will rgh it after my gold membership(2months left) expires(won't subscribe further after this). Playing halo till then. I hope something will come up like rgh for xone soon. It's launching here on 23rd sep. I'll be using it mostly as a bluray move player(it looks like one anyways).
tc.

Last edited:

Taijigamer2

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2013
England
Definately recommend using old pcbs as practice. If u've got a corona v6, that console will be mint with a cr4 successfully installed. I would definately recommend modsuplier for international orders, they always seem to have the best range and stock (except at the moment)and competitive international shipping rates. i think ck3.co.uk might ship intenationally, dont know about their shipping though. Don't get from Xconsoles though as their shipping is ludicrous. Looking forward to some Xbone homebrew aswell :)

Good luck.

OSxSnowleopard

Jan 24, 2014
I'm playing with weller sp25nkus iron(soldered old non working cell phone jammer with a new battery). I wanted to go with 15w-20w but i couldn't find any good 15w iron. They say low watt irons are low on demand. So i picked 25w weller over 10w-15w cheap $5-$8 M.I.C.-) But the tip(MT1,2, & 3) doesn't loots like a pencil or fine tip. Please suggest if i have to buy another tip for xbox soldering purpose.

OSxSnowleopard

Jan 24, 2014
Do i need to bridge r2c6 and r2c7? Is it must for tx corona rw kit? and there is some sort of paint covering both as well as many other point. How should i remove it? Scratch it or solder right above it? Thanks.
(pic below):

Attachments

Jul 19, 2014
Sunny Florida
Have a gander at this: http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96752&p=697506

The pads are not covered with paint. That would be a thin layer of copper oxidation, which is why flux is so important. Put a little dot of flux on every pad you are to bridge. Then, place your iron on the pad and add solder until you have enough to attach your wires/components to. This is a standard step called tinning.

[video=youtube;I_NU2ruzyc4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4[/video]

Jul 19, 2014
Sunny Florida
No problem. :)

Practice on some old boards first until you get the feel for your tools. Look at the tutorials- read, re-read, and read them again! Watch video tutorials. Work everything out in your mind before you begin. Take your time, and if you get flustered, take a break. You can do this.

Good luck to you!