LITEON 74850 Some games work and some don't,totally confused :(

evertonman67

BANNED
Mar 16, 2011
Milton Keynes.UK
OK here's the story lol i replaced a laser on my sons Lite-On 7 series 360 drive with a brand new one i bought off Ebay.Made sure the anti-static blob was totally removed before fitting it in the drive,also took an Ohms reading as well and is showing 4.25 ohms which to me sounds perfect.
I then reassembled the drive and put it back in the machine ( the drive is currently flashed with the latest LT+ 3.0 firmware and the console is upto date on it's dashboard ).
Now the problem is,is some of my games work ( BOTH originals & backups ) and some don't,even disks that are quite badly scratched will read and play but some games with not a single mark on them just refuse to play,these games just keep throwing up " Disk Unreadable,please clean with a soft cloth " error.I have tested these games in my own 360 and they work perfect.
I've tried 3x brand new lasers in this drive and yet some games just refuse to work.
Any ideas please guys ? i've lubricated the spindle motor and re-greased the laser rails but i'm fresh outta ideas :(

xzanox

VIP Member
Nov 1, 2011
Netherlands, 1336
Can be also that the spindle motor or the worm motor is on its way out... Just greasing the worm motor won't help that much if the worm motor is already on its way to die.

You're saying you've tried 3 different lasers, resulting me to think its not an laser issue.

Had repaired several drives throwing up your description of the same kind of problem. Some of them had a bad worm motor, only few a bad spindle motor. But you can check and see a lot if you play a disc with the drive all opened up.

The fact that some "scratched" disc play and some perfect fine ones don't, let me believe that you have to check/replace the worm motor, I don't think it will be your spindle motor actually.

Reactions: evertonman67

evertonman67

BANNED
Mar 16, 2011
Milton Keynes.UK
Just wondering if i can use a worm motor from a philips BenQ drive and put it in a philips LiteOn drive ( seeing as how i have a spare BenQ laying around that's good for parts ) ?

Taijigamer2

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2013
England
Philips liteon and benq are fairly interchangeable exept for spindle motor ( as one is ribbon cable and the other is direct solder). I once put a liteon pcb in a benq housing only had to swap spindle motors along with the pcb. Good luck.

Reactions: evertonman67