LITEON 0225 SPUTNICK360 Unlock Tutorial for DG-16D4S MXIC memchips (soldering and trace cuts)

THIS METHOD DOES NOT WORK WITH WINBOND !

UPDATE: Myself and others on IRC can confirm this hack works with MXIC memchips, no luck with Winbond

Alright, so let me preface with anyone who tries this does so at
their own risk and that I'm just repeating information here.
However, sekil claims to have succeed with this and c4eva
claimed it was promising and that the JungleFlasher team were
looking into it. Also, at this point its better to just wait for the new
JF version, as it will support this hack in a much tidier fashion
than the Sputnik tool.

What You'll Need
Locked dg-16d4s with mxic memchip
Latest version of JF
Sputnik unlock tool (http://hackfaq.net/download/Unlock_16d4s.rar)
English version can be found here ( http://www.rigid360.co.uk/ccount/click.php?id=9 ) credit to wartog
(5 or) 10 - 20 ohm resistors
You'll need to cut and repair a trace, be prepared

Steps (credit to ichigoxxx)
1. Connect theDVD to a SATA port on the PC X360USB does not work
2. Turn on the DVD (I did with CK3Pro ) this must already have the cut trace
3. Open JungleFlasher v0.1.85Beta (257)
4. MTK Tab Flash32
5. Press Enter / Device ID, you get a message stating that you disconnect the DVD for 1 second, press YES
6. Power Off the DVD
7. Place PROBE III (can be a homemade) at the point that even MPX01
8. Turn on the DVD (should recognize the way "vendor"), but if it doesnt gives you "vendor" power cycle again the DVD. Do not forget to have PROBE III on MPX01.
9. You can take the Probe 3 out of the MPX01 point
10. Ready! follow the instructions of the Sputnik program

Sputnik Tool Translations (credit to tingedace):
Ошибка - порт привода указан не верно = Error - The specified drive port is not valid

Привод разлочен = The drive is unlocked

Привод залочен = The drive is locked

Ошибка - привод не в вендоре = Error - The drive is not in Vendor Mode

1) Cut the track [cut red line shown here http://i26.fastpic.ru/big/2011/0720/f8/82f89a86e2c02e3c8dcd23f34bf48bf8.jpg ]
and prepare for the resistor to ground (without connecting it to the point)this is the first thing u should do)
2.Put the DVD in intro mode using the device vendor id JF (works with the cut trace).
3) Open the program by the Sputniks and put the port number where you connected the DVD in the box.
4) Connect the resistor
5) Click on "unlock" by giving read status should change to 0x0
6) Go to JF and click "erase"
7) ready to write the firmware

Finally, thanks to the community for supporting, sharing, and helping build this stop-gap tutorial. I know it's been rough looking for awhile :p
Special thanks to Boryan and sekil for developing the hack, the IRC community at #fw and #c4e for testing and doing a ton of work figuring out the process
And of course very big thank you to Team Xecuter and Team Jungle for all the work they do for the community and supporting the sputnik hack

You can find me hanging around on IRC as rett, but honestly I stopped being the best advised person on this hack about 12 hours after it came out. Just ask around the usual places if you need help

Remember to press the THANKS button or leave some REP if you felt this post was useful

Last edited:

M007P

Nov 25, 2010
Serbia
Re: Russian 0225 Unlock Tutorial for MXIC memchips (No Kit)

im going to find resistor, later :)
change name to 0272 still in testing for 0225...

Last edited:

jaycboy

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2011
UK/Barnsley

Check your drive is not winbound 1st with jungle flasher it only works with MXIC confirmed working by me and the guys in the IRC but i have tried 8 drives and only 1 was MXIC and worked others were winbound and did not.........

M007P

Nov 25, 2010
Serbia

im not noob, i know what i have :)

Sending Device ID request to port 0x0000

Manufacturer ID: 0xC2

Device ID: 0x11

Flash Name: MXIC(MX25L2005)

Flash Size: 262144 bytes

Resistor ranges from 10 to 20 ohms for MXIC / Maxtronic and from 5 to 20 for Winbond (here we must act very carefully) - ideally, you need a variable resistor. Later described how to understand exactly what is needed.

Last edited:

jaycboy

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2011
UK/Barnsley

Hope they find a winbound solution soon :) i have many ;)

sudburymods

Feb 1, 2011

I will be trying this also, does not look too complicated anyways, and better then replacing the PCB's

For anybody having to do many 9504, another option was to get a TX PCB use that to update to the new dash, then flash LT+ 1.9 to the origianl PCB. Then it should stay unlocked.

Anybody know if LT+ 1.9 will lock the drive, or is it something that is done once during the update like blowing the fuse on the mainboard to prevent jtagging.

That is also something I will be trying.

spookyman166

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2011
NZ

I have personally scanned soruce code and Threat Experted this bitch. Its pretty legit. No malwarey type things. I can not vouch for the link on this page, but the version i have of unlocking tool is clean.

f**king russians did it. Winbound wont be far off.

GhostFace606

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2011
TanonymousX

I think I see the new Tx probe and J.F already!I have high hopes in this no matter who the founder of this great finding is!This is what it's all about teams coming together and unite as one till a solution is found!

Last edited:

FlashDrive360

VIP Member
May 17, 2011

I think I see the new Tx probe and J.F already!I have high hopes in this no matter who the founder of this great finding!This is what it's all about teams coming together a unite as one till a solution is found!
TX unlock probe

spookyman166

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2011
NZ

I reackon TX need to give credit in their newest probe. Should be called something like "Comrade Probe" or "TX Russia" lol

Just some credit. I bet the boys at jungle are now hard at work decompiling/going through the decompiled/given soruce code.

kainy

Aug 15, 2010

The Russians added info about the Winbound chip. For it the voltage must come down to 1V.

After this, the voltage drops to 2.4v - but not enough (remember, for Maxtronic need at least 1.9v - for Winbond also to 1c! - Very difficult to find the right resistance) so that makes it easy to switch:

Resistor ranges from 10 to 20 ohms for MXIC / Maxtronic and from 5 to 20 for Winbond (here we must act very carefully) - ideally, you need a variable resistor. Later described how to understand exactly what is needed.

spookyman166

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2011
NZ

OK, so just get a voltage regulator. But the line and feed it 1v. or get a 1.5v battery and attach a small resistor to it.

Can anyone confirm that this works on 0225 drives

kal0000

VIP Member
Jan 21, 2011
CHESTER

Sweet lets hope more comes from this.. TX will update us im sure

motoxrider365

Jun 9, 2011
Springfield, VA

No sh*t man those russians! Looked into this, sounds cool, may try on my old 0225 today! This is neat!

Marlec

Apr 11, 2010
Netherlands

This is superb news, i am sure TX, C4 & JF will come up with a new probe soon. Wouldnt surprise me if there not drawing one up right now. We know how clever they are :cool:

The next few weeks will prove very interesting ;)

GhostFace606

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2011
TanonymousX

I think I see the new Tx probe and J.F already!I have high hopes in this no matter who the founder of this great finding is!This is what it's all about teams coming together and unite as one till a solution is found!
This is superb news, i am sure TX, C4 & JF will come up with a new probe soon. Wouldnt surprise me if there not drawing one up right now. We know how clever they are :cool:

The next few weeks will prove very interesting ;)
That was my whole point of view!

m4rky8oy

Feb 19, 2010
UK

hopefully there might be a way of using an existing probe :)