RGH Sry, but another "unglitchable" Falcon RGH2

hackbart

Noob Account
Sep 13, 2012
Hi, i have a falcon 14719 with rgh2 that wont glitch, no matter what i do.

ive done several rgh1 on falcons, jaspers and one trinity before.

an the past weeks i spent several dozens of hours (no joke) and tried almost every combination of ALL timing files, almost all reset cleaner switches, different D point routes, different cables (rg174/blue wire/double shielded->packed with CR rev C/grounded/ungrounded) and phat/slim switch setting, c15/cap/10ohm setting.

the first hours when i started trying, the box booted after about 30 mins(i didnt recognise the time it booted) with the original packed double shielded cable, cpu reset cleaner on 2,2/560 and timing file falconrgh2,
so i was able to get the cpu key and create a hacked dashboard image.

that was one of the first trys, so i was happy "its just a tuning thing", just to test the continuity of the glitch i rebooted the box (with the same setup) to wait for the next boot, but it never booted again.

so, i have flashed the nandbackup and the box boots regular.

after that i flashed ecc again and started to try almost all possible combination, let it glitch for about 10 minutes, then tried another combination, always let it glitch over night whilst hoping the time will bring me suprise ;-P

the green light, depends on the timing file, will light up 1-2 seconds, then stay off for 3-6 seconds, so i know its sending its impulse.

i have searched through dozens of threads and posts, trying all recommended "working" setups, but no luck.
normally i find a solution on my own, but this time it seems to look like im stuck.

what are my options now?

ive seen that martin c has the "golden thumb of glitching" and helped many many guys out there getting their consoles to glitch. so if you, martin c or anyone can please give a hint whats the deal for me, how i could move on, i would really appreciate it.

thank you

pics (i think it should be no soldering issue, i soldered many devices up to smartphones until now, and the solder points look almost like the original ones(i just havent removed the flux yet):
http://imageshack.us/g/856/img20121012215838.jpg/

ps: i would vote for a database, where you can put in all your rgh/console info/cable routings/cable lenghts/switch settings/cap/res/timing file/boot times info so anyone who has problems can work his way from the "working most for falcon, etc." to the alternative settings.

Joo C

VIP Member
Dec 2, 2011
South Africa
I've had some success with RGH2 on Falcons and my take on the matter is, the console boots up fast if you have unplugged the power and reconnected it. My guess is that the caps are not being discharged as the cr remains on permanent power. I've moved my power to a swithed 3.3v - check out this post of mine - may work...may not - either way, what have you got to lose? http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91085

sherlock

Troll Eating Dogs
Reactions: madhacker83

hackbart

Noob Account
Sep 13, 2012
This is my cable routing:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/145/falconback.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/38/falcontop.jpg/
The yellow point C wire is routed under the x-clamps, going directly to the mainboard border, and to the top of the board at the position of the fan power connector.

None of the wires is taped or glued to the board.

At the moment, the blue D wire is routed just all the way up over the fan shroud plastic side, then just out of the metal case to minimize interference, and enters the metal case just straight to the coolrunner.

E and F wires have been cutted as short as possible, going straight to the coolrunner.

The other wires are just in original lenght, going straight to the cpld.

Thanks
PS: I am using a 100 Ohm Pot in D line right now, because its recommended for rgh2 & falcon in a german forum.

@Ubergeek: I know, 90% of all "unglitchable" boxes here on the forum can be blamed on weak soldering skills/no background knowlegde/using rgh1 diags on rgh2, etc... But supposing that I am not one of
the noobs that are doing basic things wrong, you have any usefull hints what to try whilst rgh2 a falcon? Thanks

Last edited:

hackbart

Noob Account
Sep 13, 2012
I have already uploaded some pics of the soldering, the additional pics showing the wiring.
If checked all soldering points for continuity, all are fine. The coolrunner dbg led lights up for 1-2 seconds every 5 secs.

Is it a good or a bad sign if the fans break out of the spin-up-peaks(reboots) of 5 seconds?
With specific timings the box sometimes stops rebooting/the fans are spinning up and stay at this rev or the fans are reving up/down randomly. Could that be a sign that I am getting near a glitch, or the exact opposite?

darkweezil

Jan 29, 2011
South Usa
Ive found that in a few instances I just used the alternate solder points and the glitch times would improve drastically. Not all systems are the same though,but thought I would offer my findings. :)

hackbart

Noob Account
Sep 13, 2012
Hi guys,

Ive made new, hopefully better pics of all soldering points and both sides of them:

http://imageshack.us/g/1/9827562/

That was the best i could get out of this cam, I hope that its good enough for you guys.

If the console stops rebooting (fan noise), its it a good or bad sign that I am close ;-P ?

thanks

hackbart

@darkweezil: havent seen the alternate solder points you mentioned yet, you mean to solder them from the backside or are there any real alternate points?

hackbart

Noob Account
Sep 13, 2012
You have E and F round the wrong way if those images are current.
Lol, thanks martin.
Shame on me, just rewired/resoldered everything today, and switched it by mistake.
But I know it was right before.

Maybe you have some advise for me?
what point to start off testing?
I think it should be best to try:
c15 open
cap open (doesnt matter anyway, am I right?)
jumper 2-3
double shielded low loss cable, grounded
3,3k/470pf
10cm blue wire from res/cap-combo to coolrunner?
what timing files should I try first, and in what order?

Is the 100Ohm potentiometer a good idea (while testing in 5-10Ohm steps), or can I dump it in the waste?
If yes, it can/should I try it together with the reset cleaner?

Thanks

hackbart

hackbart

Noob Account
Sep 13, 2012
I had another idea:
The box booted xell at one of the first tries (my luck!),
so i have the cpu key and a 14719 nanddump.
Is it possible to create a hacked rgh1 image out
of the cpu key and the stock nand dump?
Because I dont need dual nand/online support,
it would be also great for the boot times.

Thanks

hackbart

Dicko316

VIP Member
Dec 13, 2010
North East/UK
I had another idea:
The box booted xell at one of the first tries (my luck!),
so i have the cpu key and a 14719 nanddump.
Is it possible to create a hacked rgh1 image out
of the cpu key and the stock nand dump?
Because I dont need dual nand/online support,
it would be also great for the boot times.

Thanks

hackbart
NO.

RGH2 on a CR3 is pretty much default setup. As in it comes setup for RGH2 with little modifications.

All you need to do is close LK1 (disable crystal), and switch S2 - 1&5 to ON.(Bypass)

That should get it glitching, but if it doesn't glitch, play around with the CPU_RESET wire, so change - length/type/location/routing then there are also the S2 switches to play with too.

Sometimes also disableing the 10ohm resistor at LK2 works too, so last resort close that point.

hackbart

Noob Account
Sep 13, 2012
Ok, Ill think about buying a CR3, but so many guys out
there had success with the CR2/RGH2 on falcons. You can
read everywhere that falcons are real bastards in case
of RGH2, but it seems that almost everyone gets it to
glitch, but with bad boot times (i read about 1-15
mins in some cases) but why my console wont even glitch
one time?

Is there a real recommendation for which cable to use?
The most users had best success with the blue D point
cable from CR2 rev B, but I only have rev C with the
double shielded low loss cable. So is it better to use the
shielded cable(grounded) or one of the blue wires in the
slim package?

Thanks for your help, guys

hackbart