Static shock!

SubYeoman

Noob Account
Jan 3, 2011
Hello all,

I originally posted this problem in the X3 forums but recently realized I actually have a 2.6 chip… my apologies.
As you can tell, I am not very familiar with the modding process but I’m trying to learn as much as possible in order to get this thing fixed. The mod was installed for me a couple of years ago by a guy I was stationed with in the Navy at the time, and now he is long gone and I’m left not really knowing what to do. I’ve had no issues and never really needed to know anything about its inner workings until now.

When I tried to turn it on I was charged with some static electricity and when I touched the power button it created a shock. Ever since then, it always stays on whenever it is plugged in and if you push the power button it turns off for a half-second and then it turns itself right back on. However, the main problem is that it doesn’t boot to the mod anymore.

I took my fried Xbox to a PC repair shop which had an employee who said he was familiar with Xbox mods (although I don't think he had any experience with hard mods). After looking at it he told me he thought I needed to order a new chip, which I did. Then he had it for almost 2 months and finally told me he couldn't fix it. He gave it back to me along with another Xbox he had laying around for parts, which he fixed up and softmodded for me. I guess at least part of it is from my old Xbox because it still has the same problem of always being powered on and the ring still flashes red and green, although aside from that it works OK.

Now the main problem is that although I now have a (somewhat) working modded Xbox, it's no longer hooked up to my 250G hard drive with all my emulators and games on it so it doesn't do me much good. I’m so frustrated with all the problems that I was considering buying another used Xbox and starting over trying to hard mod it from scratch using the extra chip I now have. However, I think that is way over my head and I don’t want to waste my time and money to ultimately screw it up anyway.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do? THanks in advance for any help you can give.

SubYeoman

Noob Account
Jan 3, 2011
OK, I looked up what a jtag was and I think that is probably what I'm trying to do. All I know is that I have this xecuter 2.6 mod chip and a 250G hard drive and I want to make it all work like it used to. If I have to buy another used Xbox and start from scratch then so be it.

SubYeoman

Noob Account
Jan 3, 2011
OK, so in my desperation I went on ebay and found another classic Xbox that was hardmodded witht the Xecuter chip. I bought it thinking that since it was the same, I could just swap the HDs and essentially I would have my old Xbox back with my old roms, save games, etc. However, it didn't really work as I planned.

It boots up fine, and I still get the "rox my box" message on the boot screen. After boot, it goes to the normal screen I would have expected with the same skin and menu as I had before the shock. However, nothing else seems to be there. A couple of the menu options (Media Center, etc.) are red, and the cursor jumps over them as you navigate through the menu (as if not available). The “self-installed emulators” option is still selectable, which is where I would normally go and a list of about 20 different emulators would pop up. But now, the menu is empty. Nothing has been done to the old HD, so I’m assuming it’s all still there, but I’m not sure why it isn’t popping up.

I thought that maybe the HD was damaged, but if that was the case, why would it know to boot up with the same skin and options that I had before the shock? It seems more likely that maybe the folder tree is different and it isn't looking in the right place for them or something? Hell, I don't know.

Does anyone have an idea of what I (a clueless newbie) could to do to make this right?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!