Step-By-Step Emunand Guide?

Blueribbon

Noob Account
Dec 12, 2018
Hi,

I am on 5.1 and I have dumped my sysnand to a micro SD. I would like to stay on this for the time being, but use emunand at 6.1. I have seen the guide for updating banned switches to 6.1, but I cant see a decent emunand guide anywhere, despite emunand being mentioned many times throughout the forums.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks.

Blueribbon

Noob Account
Dec 12, 2018
Thanks for the reply. Could you at least give me some pointers?

Do I need more than what the SX PRO comes with? Do I need to use a dump of my own sysnand to make emunand? I am kinda lost here.

Blueribbon

Noob Account
Dec 12, 2018
I am creating an emunand as we speak.

I booted up my console while holding vol+ to get to boot loader, clicked options, then clicked emunand, and made my selection. Now it's working away.
Does this mean it uses the same firmware version as the original on the system?

Blueribbon

Noob Account
Dec 12, 2018
It does initially, You can then change that in the future as and when needed, Use choirdujourNX to do updates to either sysnand or emunand in the future to prevent fuse burning

Ok great, that was the part I was missing. And how do I choose to boot to Sysnand or Emunand? I am worried if use choirdujourNX I might target sysnand by mistake. Is there an easy way to tell which nand I am using?

slamride

Nov 28, 2018
Ok great, that was the part I was missing. And how do I choose to boot to Sysnand or Emunand? I am worried if use choirdujourNX I might target sysnand by mistake. Is there an easy way to tell which nand I am using?
It will show in album tab after booting. Top right says emunand where it say SX.

I set the white theme on my sysnand and uninstalled all the games at first.(Not needed but makes it quick to see if I am in sysnand) I use black theme on emunand that way I can tell on boot without having to go to album.

Blueribbon

Noob Account
Dec 12, 2018
Thanks a lot guys....these seem like dumb questions now, but I am so scared of burning fuses or going to too late a firmware.

Appreciate the help!

HappyBee

Noob Account
Dec 1, 2018
Does updating fw on emunand and leave ofw on a lower version couses fuse burn? And will sleep still Work if i dont use auto rcm?

Cheers

Superxeno

Nov 22, 2018
Just update ofw legal way and use emunand on sd..moment you get banned f**k it..Your luck is overr and do whateverr..Thats how i thhink atleast..i keep enjoy online till the day i get banned.once im banned wont even use emunand anymore.

mike4001

Nov 22, 2018
Just update ofw legal way and use emunand on sd..moment you get banned f**k it..Your luck is overr and do whateverr..Thats how i thhink atleast..i keep enjoy online till the day i get banned.once im banned wont even use emunand anymore.
If there is a cold-boot solution one day it might be good to stick with a low-version OFW.

So I will keep using Emunand and leave my SYSNAND alone.

Bloodlust

Jun 22, 2018
It does initially, You can then change that in the future as and when needed, Use choirdujourNX to do updates to either sysnand or emunand in the future to prevent fuse burning
If updating emunand using choirdujourNX I assume the autoRCM option can be disabled right? Since RCM mode is obviously triggered when you boot sx OS to access emunand. On a side note, even if I enable autorcm in choirdujourNX when updating the firmware in emunand, it should still boot up normally in sx OS right?

Last edited:

imprezgc8

Bannnnnn-Kai!
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
If updating emunand using choirdujourNX I assume the autoRCM option can be disabled right? Since RCM mode is obviously triggered when you boot sx OS to access emunand. On a side note, even if I enable autorcm in choirdujourNX when updating the firmware in emunand, it should still boot up normally in sx OS right?
It will not boot automatically to the SX bootloader if you do not have autorcm on. You will need to make sure to use your jig and press power and the + button or it will boot to official firmware. Even with autorcm you still need to press power and + button to boot to the SX bootloader.

xs4all

Nov 28, 2018
Using the new EmuNAND where it creates a hidden partition on the SD CARD, what if you want to upgrade to a larger SD CARD later down the track.

Not sure if this is possible or not, but can the hidden partition be cloned (with software) in some way to the new SD CARD?

Or do we have the bite the bullet and create a new EmuNAND and start everything from scratch?

Bloodlust

Jun 22, 2018
It will not boot automatically to the SX bootloader if you do not have autorcm on. You will need to make sure to use your jig and press power and the + button or it will boot to official firmware. Even with autorcm you still need to press power and + button to boot to the SX bootloader.
Hi, I am aware that to boot up to sx os cfw it's necessary to have the jig + vol up + power all the time. And since accessing emunand is only possible after cfw is loaded I am assuming that the autoRCM option can be disabled in
ChoiDujourNX when I am updating to 6.2 using it am I correct?

I am also planning to keep my ofw in 5.1 but someone commented that their emunand can't boot up after using ChoiDujourNX to update to 6.2 regardless of whether the autoRCM option was enabled or disabled with 5.1 as their ofw

imprezgc8

Bannnnnn-Kai!
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
Hi, I am aware that to boot up to sx os cfw it's necessary to have the jig + vol up + power all the time. And since accessing emunand is only possible after cfw is loaded I am assuming that the autoRCM option can be disabled in
ChoiDujourNX when I am updating to 6.2 using it am I correct?

I am also planning to keep my ofw in 5.1 but someone commented that their emunand can't boot up after using ChoiDujourNX to update to 6.2 regardless of whether the autoRCM option was enabled or disabled with 5.1 as their ofw
Before doing anything make sure you have a nand backup and save that to a few places. Once you have that you can create an emunand. It is advised to use autorcm if you are trying to preserve your fuses. If not then you can turn it off. Once you have the emunand created, make sure it is enabled and boot to that. Run ChoijudourNX to upgrade. That will only upgrade your emunand. You will need to source the firmware file thought There is a post here for upgrading banned systems offline that has a link. You should make sure to run the md5 checker to verify the file. The people who are having issues are doing something wrong, have corruption on their SD cards or the file they are using is corrupt. Plenty of people have done exactly this with no issues.

Bloodlust

Jun 22, 2018
Before doing anything make sure you have a nand backup and save that to a few places. Once you have that you can create an emunand. It is advised to use autorcm if you are trying to preserve your fuses. If not then you can turn it off. Once you have the emunand created, make sure it is enabled and boot to that. Run ChoijudourNX to upgrade. That will only upgrade your emunand. You will need to source the firmware file thought There is a post here for upgrading banned systems offline that has a link. You should make sure to run the md5 checker to verify the file. The people who are having issues are doing something wrong, have corruption on their SD cards or the file they are using is corrupt. Plenty of people have done exactly this with no issues.
Once again, I still don't understand why autorcm has to be enabled for updating a emunand partition with ChoijudourNX when I'm not doing it in the sysnand. Could you elaborate? AFAIK, fuses are only burnt when I don't have an option to update my sysnand (horizon) firmware officially online and using ChoijudourNX to do it with autorcm enabled.

Jefff

Noob Account
Dec 7, 2018
The ability to migrate emunand information is something that has been discussed. A solution for this should be available some time in the future.
I just received my SX Pro, but my 'definitive' SD card won't arrive before one month at least.
It looks like it's not yet possible to migrate a emunand which is on a hidden partition ?
What if I create it using "files on the SD Card" ?
Will I be able to just copy files to the new SD ?

Another question... How do you backup your emunand ?

ozzieSXOS

Dec 17, 2018
Once again, I still don't understand why autorcm has to be enabled for updating a emunand partition with ChoijudourNX when I'm not doing it in the sysnand. Could you elaborate? AFAIK, fuses are only burnt when I don't have an option to update my sysnand (horizon) firmware officially online and using ChoijudourNX to do it with autorcm enabled.

If your sysnand is unchanged and only Emunand is updated, eg sysnand 4.1 Emunand 6.2, don't need autorcm, your fuses will never burn.

For your fuses to burn you have to boot into OFW, but Emunand is completely seperate from OFW so that will never happen. Just use jig and dongle, if you boot into OFW by mistake nothing will happen.

Autorcm is only for CFW that lives on sysnand.

I just received my SX Pro, but my 'definitive' SD card won't arrive before one month at least.
It looks like it's not yet possible to migrate a emunand which is on a hidden partition ?
What if I create it using "files on the SD Card" ?
Will I be able to just copy files to the new SD ?

Another question... How do you backup your emunand ?
I don't think you back up Emunand, there isn't much point. If there is a problem you just wipe it and make a new one.

Last edited:

Jefff

Noob Account
Dec 7, 2018
I don't think you back up Emunand, there isn't much point. If there is a problem you just wipe it and make a new one.
Thank you for your answer.
What about the game saves...? Where are they stored ?
I'm afraid that if I wipe the emunand, I lose everything.