FALCON Successful CR4 R-Jtag+ and my experience

fixit709

Nov 4, 2014
Hello everyone,

I am writing this to document my first or i should say second attempt at r-jtag.

My first one went horribly wrong as i felt like a kid in a candy store and wanted to rush home and throw my hands in the air and say i did it. Well didnt happen like that. More like i went all hulk and wanted to smash everything. Well i didnt. So i decided to try my luck again. Reordered new qsbs and new cr4s. I had 2 falcons laying around.

1st falcon was on dash 9199 so i tried to update it. Would not update.
2nd falcon updated just fine. Proceed to disassemble it. Noticed that it was severely crustefied. Tried to clean with 90% alcohol to remove the liquid damage. Guess some of the oxidation briged some connection after a little cleanning. The system RROD on me. So moved back to the first one.

A small tip here. When a mobo is several grimmed up. Can just put it in the dishwasher. This not recommended, but does work
After bath let air dry and blow out water from under the chips. Im slot tech and this is what we do for a quick fix. Use at your own risk. Ultra sonic cleaner is the preferred method but larger units are expensive.

The washed mobo looks brand new and buts perfectly now.

Now on to the the 1st console again. I attempted many times to update out of dash 9199 with no luck. So i decided to r-jtag anyways. Well everytime i went to write the ECC the console would never boot. So i figured which was probably mentioned and didnt noticed it has to be at a certain dash. So i wrote back stock nand and the console booted. Proceed to try to update again no luck. BY THE WAY IF YOU DONT KNOW. THE DVD DRIVE HAS TO HOOKED UP TO INSTALL UPDATE! Found out hard way. Ok so now drive is hooked up and started with the lastest update. Had to go down to 747 before it would take the update. Maybe there is a problem going from 9199 to 767 (which i think is the latest). So update complete. Wrote all the files and it all worked perfectly per UBERS GUIDE.

I just wanted to take the time to thank all the people here at Xecuters for there help. With out yall my house would look like the hulk ran through it.

I hope some of my experience with my installs help some one out there.

Attachments

ultimate360

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2013
MN, USA
Re: successful R-jtag and my experience

Haha, a mobo in the dishwasher, that's new :)

Sounds like you had an interesting experience, glad you got success though :)

john mathews

VIP Member
Jan 3, 2014
peoria illinois

Hello everyone,

I am writing this to document my first or i should say second attempt at r-jtag.

My first one went horribly wrong as i felt like a kid in a candy store and wanted to rush home and throw my hands in the air and say i did it. Well didnt happen like that. More like i went all hulk and wanted to smash everything. Well i didnt. So i decided to try my luck again. Reordered new qsbs and new cr4s. I had 2 falcons laying around.

1st falcon was on dash 9199 so i tried to update it. Would not update.
2nd falcon updated just fine. Proceed to disassemble it. Noticed that it was severely crustefied. Tried to clean with 90% alcohol to remove the liquid damage. Guess some of the oxidation briged some connection after a little cleanning. The system RROD on me. So moved back to the first one.

A small tip here. When a mobo is several grimmed up. Can just put it in the dishwasher. This not recommended, but does work
After bath let air dry and blow out water from under the chips. Im slot tech and this is what we do for a quick fix. Use at your own risk. Ultra sonic cleaner is the preferred method but larger units are expensive.

The washed mobo looks brand new and buts perfectly now.

Now on to the the 1st console again. I attempted many times to update out of dash 9199 with no luck. So i decided to r-jtag anyways. Well everytime i went to write the ECC the console would never boot. So i figured which was probably mentioned and didnt noticed it has to be at a certain dash. So i wrote back stock nand and the console booted. Proceed to try to update again no luck. BY THE WAY IF YOU DONT KNOW. THE DVD DRIVE HAS TO HOOKED UP TO INSTALL UPDATE! Found out hard way. Ok so now drive is hooked up and started with the lastest update. Had to go down to 747 before it would take the update. Maybe there is a problem going from 9199 to 767 (which i think is the latest). So update complete. Wrote all the files and it all worked perfectly per UBERS GUIDE.

I just wanted to take the time to thank all the people here at Xecuters for there help. With out yall my house would look like the hulk ran through it.

I hope some of my experience with my installs help some one out there.
so if i have a mb with grime that want come off just throw it in the diswasher:facepalm:

Antalpromille

VIP Member
Aug 4, 2011
Borås, sweden

Wow, the dish washer is not a good idea. I hope you ran it with water only at least, the dish washer soap has ingredients that makes metal oxidize fast.

fixit709

Nov 4, 2014

I have done this on several occasions. I have to deal with mobo all the time with coke syrup and all kinds of liquid on them. As long as the liquid didnt fry the mobo. I never had one that didnt boot after washing it. Never any oxidation or problems for it. Never said it was the best. But when you have one that is completely caked with grim there not much you can do.

fixit709

Nov 4, 2014

Here are some pics of the cleaned mobo. Just wished i took a before pic just to show how bad it was. As any person who works on console knows that some really gross ones come across your lap.

Attachments

Krafter

VIP Member
Apr 17, 2011
Indiana

lol. A dishwasher. I guess I don't see why it wouldn't work but I think I would feel more comfortable by giving it a nice alcohol bath afterwords to cleanup any leftover soap and lime residue.

Taijigamer2

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2013
England

Lol, I think I will stick to compressed air and ipa. At least put it on a low temp oven bake to evaporate all that water :rolleyes:

darkweezil

Jan 29, 2011
South Usa

I knew a dude that used to use the dishwasher method on pc motherboards to clean them.
He said it worked 100% as long as you dry the boards out really well.
I was always to afraid to try it. haha

Cadibiagio

VIP Member
Mar 11, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada, eh!

Nice install! That dishwasher trick is awesome haha (too scared to try it though). I'd probably just place it in isopropyl diluted with distilled water then carefully scrub it clean.

Oh and it likely wasn't updating without the DVD drive because the dash you were on was before the newer stock firmwares got flashed to the DVD drive to support XGD3 (on dash 13146). So if there wasn't a drive connected the update couldn't flash the drive and failed.

sirredz

Apr 17, 2011
Ontario

I've given 10+ Xenon boards a bath right under the hot water in the bathtub. It is critical (obviously) to dry out completely. I had a few attempts booting (while still wet) and it acted weird, waited 24 hours after taking a heat gun lightly over the entire board and voila!

And I agree with the OP... Some of these boards are disgusting...

Never thought to use the dishwasher bet it worked great!

CptKlink

May 2, 2014
The Dishwasher idea is safe even using liquid dishwashing soap. Just don't let the dishwasher get to its drying cycle. Before it get to the cycle take the board out of the dishwasher and rinse it off with water really good and and dry off as much as you can with a towel or paper towel and let dry for the recommended amount of time in the sun is a full 24 hours in sun light. I do it all the time with PC motherboards, Video cards, Sound Cards, pretty much everything except for the power supply of course. And make sure to take out any type of battery the board might have before you do any of this but of course the xbox motherboard doesn't have a CMOS battery.

reaper57

Dec 5, 2014
Wow, everybody seems terrified of the idea of a pcb in water! :D Water doesn't damage electronics on it's own. If the system is on and water comes in contact with the pcb it can cause a short, but if it's off the worst thing that it can do is leave some minerals and salts behind, which can cause a short, it's also not very good for caps, but as long as you dry it fast so that most of the minerals don't get the chance to stick onto the motherboard. It's useful when you are dealing with water damage.
But yeah, a ultrasonic bath is better. I use it on phone, tablet and other small pcbs, but the big stuff that don't fit, I use the sink or not so often the dishwasher.