Switch doesn't boot past Nintendo logo

Kromara

Noob Account
Dec 1, 2018
My switch can boot into SX OS, but when attempting to boot into OFW or CFW, it goes to the Nintendo logo and then black screen. I haven't used the Switch much this year, so I'm pretty certain it is not on v10.0 or higher, but I'm definitely sure that it is NOT on 10.2.0.

I have installed SX OS v3.0.5 Beta based on recommendations from other posts that I've seen here, but still no change.

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Top Poster Of Month
Jul 7, 2010
At Home
Put SX OS 3.0.4 boot.dat on your SD card, boot in to SX OS, tap "Boot Original FW" (you can also use the "Genuine Boot" option), update to OFW 10.2, replace boot.dat with SX OS 3.0.5 and then update emuNAND to 10.2 offline with ChoiDujourNX.

Following this procedure should hopefully let you update sysNAND and emuNAND to 10.2 and things should start working fine again.

Kromara

Noob Account
Dec 1, 2018
I erased my entire SD Card, including EmuNAND partition to start a fresh SD install. Only things on the SD Card currently are the SX OS 3.0.4 .dat file and the license.dat file.

Still, there's no response after the Nintendo logo.

EDIT: I have a full backup of the SD Card aside from the EmuNAND partition..

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Top Poster Of Month
Jul 7, 2010
At Home
I erased my entire SD Card, including EmuNAND partition to start a fresh SD install. Only things on the SD Card currently are the SX OS 3.0.4 .dat file and the license.dat file.

Still, there's no response after the Nintendo logo.
Did you format the SD card to FAT32?

Power the Switch down completely (hold the power button for 15-20 seconds) and then hold VOL+ and press POWER to boot in to SX OS recovery.

If you are using an SX Pro dongle (I will assume you are since you posted in the SX Pro support section), try booting with the jig attached.

Once you get back in to SX OS recovery, try creating emuNAND again and then put license.dat on the SD card next to boot.dat which should let you boot back in to CFW.

Last edited:

Kromara

Noob Account
Dec 1, 2018
I formatted with the default Windows formatter and it only offered exFAT or NTFS. I chose exFAT, although I suppose I could another to format it in some other manner. It is a 200GB SD card, btw.

I am using an SX Pro dongle, yes. I'm assuming you mean boot into SX OS and then remove it before booting into CFW/OFW?

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Top Poster Of Month
Jul 7, 2010
At Home
I formatted with the default Windows formatter and it only offered exFAT or NTFS. I chose exFAT, although I suppose I could another to format it in some other manner. It is a 200GB SD card, btw.

I am using an SX Pro dongle, yes. I'm assuming you mean boot into SX OS and then remove it before booting into CFW/OFW?
You should use GUI Format to format the SD card to FAT32.

Once you boot in to SX OS recovery, you can create emuNAND again and then (hopefully) boot in to CFW once you have put license.dat next to boot.dat on the SD card.

If CFW boots successfully, you should then be able to boot in to OFW (sysNAND) and update it to 10.2 (you need to replace boot.dat with SX OS 3.0.5 for 10.2).

Kromara

Noob Account
Dec 1, 2018
You should use GUI Format to format the SD card to FAT32.

Once you boot in to SX OS recovery, you can create emuNAND again and then (hopefully) boot in to CFW once you have put license.dat next to boot.dat on the SD card.

If CFW boots successfully, you should then be able to boot in to OFW (sysNAND) and update it to 10.2 (you need to replace boot.dat with SX OS 3.0.5 for 10.2).
I'll format into FAT32 with GUI format and then attempt to make a new CFW. I'll be back as soon as that finishes.

Returning after emuNAND:

FAT32 formated with GUI Format
Booted into SX OS 3.0.4 Beta
Created emuNAND on a fresh SD card
Attempted to boot into emuNAND
Nintendo Logo
Black screen

Everything is done and still having the same issue.

Last edited:

livinitwarrior

May 23, 2020
Georgia
I'll format into FAT32 with GUI format and then attempt to make a new CFW. I'll be back as soon as that finishes.

Returning after emuNAND:

FAT32 formated with GUI Format
Booted into SX OS 3.0.4 Beta
Created emuNAND on a fresh SD card
Attempted to boot into emuNAND
Nintendo Logo
Black screen

Everything is done and still having the same issue.
Remove your license file and see if that works

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Top Poster Of Month
Jul 7, 2010
At Home
Are you using the SX Pro dongle or did you install a chip in your Switch?

If you installed an SX Core chip, check that you didn't remove the two capacitors shown in the image below.

If they are no longer there, you need to replace them.

Fix.jpg

Last edited:

Kromara

Noob Account
Dec 1, 2018
Are you using the SX Pro dongle or did you install a chip in your Switch?

If you installed an SX Core chip, check that you didn't remove the two capacitors shown in the image below.

If they are no longer there, you need to replace them.

View attachment 16995
I certainly didn't install any chip inside the system I haven't opened this system at all yet. I can open it and inspect closer if necessary.