Switch Multi Input Board POC - AutoRCM Flat Battery Fix

Jul 3, 2018
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Hey guys, I know a lot of you have had issues with your switch batteries accidentally running flat while in AutoRCM mode and i have been reading them and thinking of a way to help you all while keeping it as cheap and easy to setup as possible and i think I've done it so i really hope you like it and forgive my terrible phone camera xD

(Tested with my Switch and was able to get into the SX OS menu to uninstall AutoRCM with a battery level of 1%)

Rough Idea of Things You Will Need:
Micro USB Breakout Board - Link
24pin USB 3.1 Type C Male & Female Plug & Socket - Link
Wire
Solder And Soldering Iron
Glue or Hot Glue Gun
Small Piece of Perf Board (Something To Stick The Boards To For Strength)

Proof of Concept:
Switch Multi Input Board

Wiring Guide:
USB Type C Male Plug Side 1

USB Type C Male Plug Side 2

USB Type C Female Socket

NOTE:
During testing i discovered it doesn't like to inject the payload at the same time as charging if you have the micro usb D+ and D- connected so i would recommend not soldering the D+ and D- to the micro sd board and just to the usb c plug and socket, This does mean you won't be able to inject a payload through the micro usb port but you will be able to charge your switch through it.

In this design i only soldered to the one side of the USB Type C Female Socket this would mean my board will only work one way around but i did this to make it quick and easy to make and i didn't want to spend to much time on it, In fact this took me 5 minutes to make so feel free to take it further.

Once you have the parts from wherever you chose to buy them from and have soldered the wires in place just give it a quick test by first trying to charge your switch using a micro usb cable and see if the switch shows that it's charging then unplug it and try to charge it using the boards usb c socket.
Now i suggest you try to connect your switch to the pc using the boards usb c socket and see if you can send a payload over and if that is successful you know your wiring is correct and you can glue the boards onto a small piece of perf board ensuring you use the side without copper on for soldering to just so you don't short anything with it.

Finished Board:

Front

Back

Again remember this isn't something you're gonna start using everyday, The whole point of this board is if you use AutoRCM and at some point your switches battery gets to low to power on and under those circumstances your switch requires you to charge it but when you try to charge it your switch will just goto a black screen because of AutoRCM and is waiting for you to insert the dongle.
Which at that point you can't because you're charging your switch so under those circumstances now you can insert the board you just made and connect the sx pro dongle and then a micro usb cable and plug it into your pc for example to provide the switch with 5v to charge which isn't much but it will allow it to power up and because the dongle is also connected it will launch the payload, When you get to that point you would simply unplug the dongle and goto the options menu on the sx os and uninstall AutoRCM (even if it's just temporary) and boot into OFW and once you have done that give it a few minutes and unplug the board and insert the official charger to charge it the rest of the way and the job is done xD

I really hope you guys like my simple proof of concept multi input board for the switch and let me know below if you try to make something like this yourself and maybe do a better job than me xD just make sure to take more than 5 minutes to build it :)

Charging And Payload Injection:

So What Am I Actually Looking At?

This is the schematic i ended up with, Enjoy.

One last thing, If anyone knows why it wasn't working with the wires also connected to the micro usb's d+ and d- let me know thanks because i just didn't have any time to look into it :)

Last edited:

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Top Poster Of Month
Dec 2, 2010
Re: Switch Multi Input Board POC (AutoRCM Flat Battery Fix?)

This is something I would like to see as part of the Pro Dongle. Like a Pro v2. It would be nice to see a usb-c port on the side of the dongle to accept and pass through power. Or a small charging adapter to fit between the Dongle and the Switch.

Nice job RazorX2018.

Jul 3, 2018

This is something I would like to see as part of the Pro Dongle. Like a Pro v2. It would be nice to see a usb-c port on the side of the dongle to accept and pass through power. Or a small charging adapter to fit between the Dongle and the Switch.

Nice job RazorX2018.
thanks xD
and as you suggested i put together a little schematic of what i ended up with.

Jul 3, 2018

Just to let you guys know i tested AutoRCM last night, I installed it when my battery was on 60% i think and i powered off the console correctly and i've just switched it on for the first time now and the battery is on 1% so something like this is definitely needed if you're gonna use AutoRCM.

Luckily with the board i made above i was easily able to get into the SX OS menu to uninstall AutoRCM and then i simply unplugged it and plugged my Switch into it's proper charger cable so it get's a better charge and my Switch came on straight away.

Last edited:

daveglo

Noob Account
Aug 10, 2018
OK... New here so sorry if this has already been said.
I cannot sort the power drain issue, but i have found a solution to charging the battery if it runs dry.
If you put the dongle in and press power after the splash screen for Team executer comes on, quickly add your charger, you will now get the top left charge icon but with the lightning/charging icon. now just leave it.
i have just run into this issue for stupidly not researching this issue and left my switch undocked last night with only 14% charge. got home from work and couldnt boot or charge it, so just tried this and mine is now charging and is all good.
hope this helps someone out as i was dreading having to either convince someone to let me pop open their switch or buy another one.

Aug 15, 2018
Not to rain on the parade or anything but it's simpler and probably cheaper to just buy a Type-C to USB splitter, and then get two USB to Type-C adapters. No mess and the wait for parts is the same. $4.68 is what I paid for my setup, I'm sure someone could find something cheaper but I was lazy at the time.

koreanano

Noob Account
Jul 29, 2018
i kind of dont understand why people are having issues with battery getting flat. I have been on autoRCM since day one, and my switch can be put on sleep mode from e.g. 80% over an entire week and it will be enough charge to charge over USB again.. but great work! nice to see a fix.

Dec 14, 2012
Or, instead of building anything, I have ran my battery dead many times in AutoRCM, and if I plug it into a computer, and send hekate, I can change to the actual charger before booting anything, and let it charge there, or let it charge in any firmware or linux. Long story short, it wont charge the battery on USB power until something boots, but it will still receive power to turn on the console, and will charge once a payload has booted.

Support Our Sponsors