SX OS full ram access for homebrew/emulators - request

Gustavus

Noob Account
May 8, 2020
UK
Currently there is no option on SX OS menu screen to enable full ram access for homebrew apps such as emulators,

Currently on "SX OS menu" if we load emulators from the album, many homebrew apps such as emulators crash because it dosent allow us to have full ram access.

There are work arounds at the moment, but they are not ideal. The only solution is we have to hold down the "R" button and then launch an nsp file (after profile selection) which then redirects us to the HB menu, its only then we can load emulators with full ram.

I am requesting an option for SX OS menu to enable full ram access from the SX OS main menu itself, so with the push of a button or a toggle in the options the menu will give us full ram acess from the moment we load an emulator from album.

This would be a very nice feature for the "SX OS team" to implement for us because we have a paid product.

Reactions: KhenemetHeru

imprezgc8

Bannnnnn-Kai!
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
SX has had the title override option since the very early version. You need to hold R over an installed title just like you can configure Atmosphere to do or you can create your own nsp forwarders with nro2nsp to point to a specific homebrew nro

Gustavus

Noob Account
May 8, 2020
UK
SX has had the title override option since the very early version. You need to hold R over an installed title just like you can configure Atmosphere to do or you can create your own nsp forwarders with nro2nsp to point to a specific homebrew nro
I'm not sure how you do that tbh, as I'm not familiar with using atmosphere. I only use the SX OS. I dont have any titles actually installed, as I run everything via XCI because of using the SX OS.

What I was thinking would be something much more user friendly, and easier to see and use.

An option built into the "SX OS menu" itself that does this for you. Something you can toggle in the options screen on "SX OS" settings which enables full ram access.

A very user friendly option built into the SX OS User interface is really needed. as I dont think many people really know or are clear about the "full ram access" issue.

Last edited:

is33d34dp30pl3

Apr 19, 2020
United states
I'm not sure how you do that tbh, as I'm not familiar with using atmosphere. I only use the SX OS. I dont have any titles actually installed, as I run everything via XCI because of using the SX OS.

What I was thinking would be something much more user friendly, and easier to see and use.

An option built into the "SX OS menu" itself that does this for you. Something you can toggle in the options screen on "SX OS" settings which enables full ram access.

A very user friendly option built into the SX OS User interface is really needed. as I dont think many people really know or are clear about the "full ram access" issue.
If the homebrew app you want to run has an nsp version then install that if you dont want to have to use titlle override. I dont think it would be currently possible to do what you request. My understanding is that an application can run in one of two modes title mode and applet mode. Applet mode is used by the gallery, settings app and eshop. hb menu by default has the same permissions as the gallery app when not run in title override mode. they have restricted memory access but can be launched while a title is launched allowing for you to access them while in game which is required to use sx os's cheats function, acess eshop, gallery settings etc. Giving the homebrew menu or sxos's hb menu title access by default would require it to be installed as an nsp or have an nsp that autoloads the hb menu in title mode. (which may or may not be possible) untill that happens youll have to use title override.

Last edited:

Zuluuk

Noob Account
Jun 13, 2019
Here
I tried to use the nro2nsp redirect and it still crashes, I think the SX os isn't working correctly with homebrew. It is very unstable.

Using SX 3.0 10.0.3 firmware and retroarch 1.8.7.

SveinParty

Noob Account
Oct 21, 2019
Norway
I tried to use the nro2nsp redirect and it still crashes, I think the SX os isn't working correctly with homebrew. It is very unstable.

Using SX 3.0 10.0.3 firmware and retroarch 1.8.7.
I have been using Retroarch on SX OS without issues using SX installer.
it is described in the SX OS manual (page 21).

This is how you do it:

1. First get the latest stable retroarch build here (includes all cores) for nintendo switch. Extract the file and put the "switch" and "retroarch" folder on your sd root.
2. Go to SX Portal and download the latest SX installer here, extract the file and put the "switch" folder on sd root.
3. Create these specifically named directories for you roms: (you just have to make one for each console system you need).

sdmc:/roms/nes/
sdmc:/roms/snes/
sdmc:/roms/n64/
sdmc:/roms/nds/
sdmc:/roms/gb/
sdmc:/roms/gba/
sdmc:/roms/sms/
sdmc:/roms/sg/
sdmc:/roms/scd/
sdmc:/roms/sgg/
sdmc:/roms/sdc/
sdmc:/roms/sg1000/
sdmc:/roms/psp/
sdmc:/roms/psx/
4. Launch SX installer on your switch. It will automatically install a nsp forwarder to SX installer. Now all the roms should be listed in each console category. If not make sure "sdmc:/roms" is added as a location in file browser.
5. Launch a rom, and it will forward the rom to its core in Retroarch and start it! :)(y)

Reactions: Palinkat