SX Pro just quit working...

bfollowell

Aug 27, 2019
Evansville, IN
I had SX Pro 2.8 running with emuNAND fine on my 8.10. Switch last week. I worked the weekend, spent all day today working around the house today, went up tonight to play with my Switch but, of course, it was dead. I charged it, charged my SX Pro dongle and went through the regular boot process, but I can't get any further than the initial SX Pro screen with the option to boot CFW, boot original FW, Options. The screen is just frozen there though. Neither JoyCon seems to work at all, though they work fine when booting into original FW, and I can't select anything. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before? Does anyone have any idea what may have happened or what I may try?

Thanks.

bfollowell

Aug 27, 2019
Evansville, IN
Thanks for your reply. And, while I don't want to say you're wrong, I certainly wasn't doing that when it was booting fine last week. Also, just because I needed to try something, I gave it a try. It doesn't work. If I press both buttons like I'm supposed to, then let go the volume + button, after the SX splash screen, the screen turns black and I get nothing.

bfollowell

Aug 27, 2019
Evansville, IN
Nope, I'm in airplane mode, and stealth mode when I'm using CFW. Like I said, the Switch hadn't been on in days and the battery was dead. This was its behavior as soon as I charged it, powered it up and tried to boot into CFW the first time. But I'm still at FW 8.1.0.

I have no earthly idea what could've happened, but I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my SD card. I think I'm going to format another one and give it a try, just to rule it out.

EDIT:
Well, it isn't my SD card. I formatted a 64GB card to FAT32 and put boot.dat and license.dat on it and tried to boot into SD OS and it exhibits the same bahavior. The only difference is that this one obviously doesn't say emuNANA enabled. The screen is still frozen though, and there doesn't seem to be any input from either joycon. Pressing any buttons or stick does absolutely nothing. It's completely dead in the water as far as SX OS is concerned.

Last edited:

lordrahl72

Dec 18, 2011
Boot it up in stock firmware then go to system settings and check to see what version you are on.

I know you said it didnt install an update, but curious as to what version you are on.

bfollowell

Aug 27, 2019
Evansville, IN
Current Version 8.1.0

I also started to wonder if I'd used the joycons to select options on the SX OS menu screen or if I'd just touched the icons on the screen. So, I just touched the Options icon and I went into Options. I went back to the main screen thinking I'd figured it out. So, I touched the Boot CFW icon and the screen goes black, it sits there for about 5 seconds, then reboots into OFW.

The thing that kills me is that it was working perfectly when I put it away last Thursday night. The only issue is that between then and last morning, the battery died. What difference could that possibly make? I charged everything up and now it won't boot properly with CFW. It's all very strange.

lordrahl72

Dec 18, 2011
Definitely strange that it would just stop working. It doesn't sound like its the SXPro adapter or the jig as those are doing what it supposed to or you wouldn't be able to boot into the SXOS menu.

Could be SD card corrupted. Did you try to reformat it and then put a fresh copy of the boot.dat file on it?

bfollowell

Aug 27, 2019
Evansville, IN
I didn't try to reformat my main card, but like I mentioned a couple of posts ago, I did try a brand new Sandisk SD card. I formatted it to FAT32 and copied my boot.dat and license.dat files over to it. Other than not saying emuNAND enabled, it acts exactly the same as the card I was using last week.

optantic

VIP Member
May 2, 2010
Current Version 8.1.0

I also started to wonder if I'd used the joycons to select options on the SX OS menu screen or if I'd just touched the icons on the screen. So, I just touched the Options icon and I went into Options. I went back to the main screen thinking I'd figured it out. So, I touched the Boot CFW icon and the screen goes black, it sits there for about 5 seconds, then reboots into OFW.

The thing that kills me is that it was working perfectly when I put it away last Thursday night. The only issue is that between then and last morning, the battery died. What difference could that possibly make? I charged everything up and now it won't boot properly with CFW. It's all very strange.
it should not boot to ofw if you chose boot cfw
check the ablum to verify that you are in sx os or not after you chose boot cfw

Last edited:
Reactions: imprezgc8

bfollowell

Aug 27, 2019
Evansville, IN
I just tried again, and everything worked perfectly this time.

I waited for it to boot fully, and, when it came up, it showed the two games I have installed on the Home screen, or whatever it's called. I think everything has been working perfectly all along. I just got it into my head that the boot was almost immediate after selecting Boot CFW, but it goes through a longer, typical boot sequence that first time. When it took so long, I had myself convinced it was booting into OFW.

Chalk it up to my inexperience with the Switch in general and with my SX OS setup specifically.

Thanks to everyone for your time this morning. I'm sorry to have wasted it needlessly.

And speaking of wasting time, I have a jungle gym to start staining and I want to get started before this afternoon's oppressive heat and humidity get too bad.

Thanks again!

black1stallion2

Sep 16, 2018
2 ways to fix this firstly hold the power button for 15 seconds make sure it's completely off and has some charge.
1. Install latest version of tegrarcmgui click install drivers in settings tab, enable auto inject then on main tab click SXOS and plug in your switch and press power button it's will boot normally
2. Plug your pro dongle into something else with a powered type c port, I personally have used a Samsung galaxy S8 and S9 Plus. Wait a few seconds until green light is at maximum brightness then insert into the powered off switch and press power button
2 ways to fix this firstly hold the power button for 15 seconds make sure it's completely off and has some charge.
1. Install latest version of tegrarcmgui click install drivers in settings tab, enable auto inject then on main tab click SXOS and plug in your switch and press power button it's will boot normally
2. Plug your pro dongle into something else with a powered type c port, I personally have used a Samsung galaxy S8 and S9 Plus. Wait a few seconds until green light is at maximum brightness then insert into the powered off switch and press power button
one of the main issues with the pro dongle is the capacitor running out of power and the switch does not provide power to the dongle when it is powered off, I suspect this is your problem, I've had this issue, I mainly use Tegrarcmgui now, If i ever need to use the dongle I stick it in my phone for a few seconds allowing the capacitor to charge

Last edited:

bfollowell

Aug 27, 2019
Evansville, IN

one of the main issues with the pro dongle is the capacitor running out of power and the switch does not provide power to the dongle when it is powered off, I suspect this is your problem, I've had this issue, I mainly use Tegrarcmgui now, If i ever need to use the dongle I stick it in my phone for a few seconds allowing the capacitor to charge
Everything was working fine. I just had myself convinced it was booting into OFW and wasn't waiting long enough for it to boot properly. Once I charged my Switch, and my dongle, which I knew I'd have to do, everything was fine. I just convinced myself that it wasn't. I just need more experience with the Switch and my SX Pro setup.

Everything was, and is good.

Thanks.