System running SXOS batteries died, updated and now nothing

AnubisNul

Noob Account
Jul 14, 2019
US
So my system had remained neglected for a time (I was having issues with corruption and games not working), which led to the batteries dying. While charging I downloaded the Bata SXOS boot file and updated my system once charged. I was able to get autoRCM back up, but now when I select to boot into the custom firmware the Nintendo logo pops for a moment and then I just get a black screen. Any suggestions?

imprezgc8

Majora's Mask
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
How did you update to 8.1 and what is your SD formatted?

AnubisNul

Noob Account
Jul 14, 2019
US
Small update:

I was able to get atmosphere to boot, but still unable to get the latest SXOS up...so I guess if we can we may want to migrate this thread to the Beta software section.

imprezgc8

Majora's Mask
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
I'd have to say corruption. Try redownloading the SX boot.dat file.

imprezgc8

Majora's Mask
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
Have you reformatted? I'd suggest fat32 if you are not already using that. If atmo boots then SX should so something is wrong with the files or SD.

AnubisNul

Noob Account
Jul 14, 2019
US
So I tried putting the software on a different MicroSD card, this one 32gb, which I formatted. it worked. So I'm now doing a deep format of the first SD card and going to see if that works.
Ok, so I think I may have isolated the problem.

I'm able to boot into SXOS without the license file, but once that is added (either from a backup or redownloaded) I have the problem that I originally described. I even went through the website to get the license file, same results.

Something in my license file is causing the issue it would appear...Any suggestions on how we can fix that?

Last edited:

ronopotomus

Noob Account
Jul 11, 2019
Dayton
I actually have the same issue but my switch will not even boot now. I was loading SXOS and got the logo. I believe my battery died and now it will not boot at all??? Are there any other people who have had this issue and could offer a fix? I do have my nand backed up but I had only installed the SXOS, backed up my nand and placed a backup copy of Octopath Traveler. I put it into sleep mode and that was the last time it was working. I hooked up the charging port to my tv and nothing so I don't think the screen is out.

Last edited:

rockrdr

Noob Account
Feb 2, 2019
USA
Mine does the same thing the battery dies quick, I have to plug it into a charger for a few hours than put the SX usb in and boot. but I cant have my switch plugged all the time so thats a problem.

ronopotomus

Noob Account
Jul 11, 2019
Dayton
I just made a return on my switch. It was bricked or something. No reponses here though. I'm a little surprised because back in the 360 days these guys were the best and their customer service was amazing. Things change but anyway.... Thanks for the hack.

krunkin

Noob Account
Jul 23, 2019
US
So I tried putting the software on a different MicroSD card, this one 32gb, which I formatted. it worked. So I'm now doing a deep format of the first SD card and going to see if that works.
Ok, so I think I may have isolated the problem.

I'm able to boot into SXOS without the license file, but once that is added (either from a backup or redownloaded) I have the problem that I originally described. I even went through the website to get the license file, same results.

Something in my license file is causing the issue it would appear...Any suggestions on how we can fix that?
I had the same problem when I initially set up SX OS on my switch FW v8.0.1. It turned out I wasn't using the latest SX OS, which for the newer FW needs to be the beta versions. For 8.1 you should be using SX OS v2.8 beta.

AnubisNul

Noob Account
Jul 14, 2019
US
Ok, so I got it working, but not how I would Like. I got it working on my 128gb card, but when I copied the files from that to my freshly formatted 256gb card (that I was using before with no issue) it still won't boot. It gets past the SXOS screen shows the Nintendo logo and then just black screen.

so what could be causing the issue?