Technical Modding Terms

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Top Poster Of Month
Jul 7, 2010
Colne, Lancashire (UK)
Info
This thread aims to explain some of the common terms you will see people talk about on the forum.

Please note that this is not a support thread - we expect you to search for the information you require before posting for help.

I will try to explain them in layman's terms so that things don't get confusing.

JTAG/RGH - the two different exploits for the XBOX 360 to run homebrew/unsigned code (read Martin's roadmap to learn about compatible dashboard/CB versions).

NAND - this is where the XBOX 360's dashboard/kernel and other important data such as the Key Vault, SMC, SMC Config and bootloaders are stored.

Dashboard/Kernel - this is your XBOX 360's operating system. The main part of the kernel is stored on the NAND and component data (Avatars/Kinect) is stored on a memory unit (internal, USB stick or a hard drive).

CPU Key - this key is used to decrypt a console's NAND so that you can view data like the drive type and drive key. You need the CPU key to build new JTAG/RGH NAND images for your console.

XeLL - a type of "loader" which - when booted - will display your console's CPU key (see the CPU Key and JTAG/RGH definitions).

DashLaunch - this is essential for any JTAG/RGH console. It contains some required kernel patches and it also lets you set various options.

FSD (FreeStyle Dash) - a custom dashboard for JTAG/RGH XBOX 360 consoles. I recommend this to anyone with a JTAG/RGH console because it has many great features such as XEX launching, GOD container launching, a Title Update downloader and more. There is also an online feature include with FSD known as "FSD LiNK" which lets you play games with other players from around the world, but it only supports games that have the system link option.

Aurora - this is the newest homebrew dashboard from Team Phoenix. It has many of FSD's features and is updated regularly. This is my personal dashboard preference and I know lots of other JTAG/RGH users have it set as their default dashboard too.

POST Output - this lets you see what your console is doing during the boot process. It can be very useful when you are trying to fine-tune a console for the best glitch times. You need compatible hardware for this such as a CR3 Pro, R-JTAG, CR4 or your can make your own POST monitor.

RATER - this uses the XBOX 360's POST output and logs the number of glitch cycles a console takes to glitch before booting and it will give you a score based on the result.

COM/UART - mainly used for debugging, but you can also use COM/UART with XeLL to get the CPU key.

J-Runner - an application you can use to build hacked (JTAG/RGH) NAND images. You will also find the RATER feature in J-Runner.

XeBuild UPDSERV - a great feature that lets you update your JTAG/RGH console over the LAN (network). All you need to do is run UPDSERV on your console and click a button in J-Runner.

FTP - this stands for File Transfer Protocol. It lets you transfer files to and from your XBOX 360 over the network.

Glitch Chip - a "mod" chip which is required for RGH. The best glitch chip out there is the Xecuter CR4 XL. It supports phat and slim motherboards.

Dual NAND - this should be self explanatory. It simply means "two NANDs" on the same console. The most common dual NAND set up is retail (XBL) and RGH running on the same console.

JungleFlasher - an application you can use to read and flash the firmware on XBOX 360 DVD-ROM drives.

Firmware - this is what you write to the XBOX 360 DVD-ROM drive so that you can backup your original game discs. You need to use LT+ or LTU firmware depending on the type of drive you have (the JungleFlasher PDF is a great place to start).

Drive Key - the DVD-ROM drive in your console is paired to your console. If the drive key on the drive doesn't match the drive key stored on the console, your console will not play any games (you will see the infamous "Play DVD" error).

If you think that something could be changed or added to this thread, leave a post and I will make the necessary changes/additions (admins and mods can do this if they wish, but please make a note of any changes you make).

Last edited:

Vermy

Sep 17, 2011
America
What does "CB" stand for? What is it's purpose in the nand? Why can certain "CB's" from a certain board be used on others?

Nintendo

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2014
Spain
What does "CB" stand for? What is it's purpose in the nand? Why can certain "CB's" from a certain board be used on others?
The CB is a bootloader, spliced in two , CB_A and CB_B, it's the second one on the bootchain. The first bootloader is called '1BL' and it decrypts and loads CB_A, and then CB_A loads CB_B.

I won't explain it more in depth since I am not an expert on the inner functioning of the Xbox, but here you'll find a lot of useful info: http://free60.org/wiki/Boot_Process

Reactions: Vermy