Tried everything, no flash controller.

kisuka

Noob Account
Oct 17, 2010
I bought a refurbished xenon on ebay which has an old dashboard (is jtaggable).

I bought Nand-X, I tried soldering the QSBs to the correct places but when I tried to read the nand I got "could not detect a flash controller".

I tried reading it on both Windows XP and Windows 7 (both 32 bit). I have the drivers installed on both and both computers detect the usb.

I tried resoldering the QSBs multiple times and nothing worked, got the same error. At one point I tried switching the 'white' wire from J1D2 to the other QSB and the computer detected it and started dumping but it kept giving error 0 and some other stuff so I assumed that wasn't correct and stopped it. When I tried redoing it, it didn't detect it.

Eventually I broke the J1D2 QSBs when trying to remove it so I tried switching to the pin heads. I couldn't fully get in the J1D2 pin because one of the holes could not be desoldered (the solder would just not melt).

So I cut the pin heads and tried soldering the wires directly, I still am getting the "could not detect a flash controller" error on both computers.

12 hours later with multiple attempts and still no nand dump.

The Xbox 360 still powers on and fully works, but I still can't dump the nand.

Below are pictures of the current soldering job (with the direct wires):
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/2207/cimg0461n.jpg
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/727/cimg0462o.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2010
White wire? There is no white wire on the J1D2 point, you are either referring to the orange or most probably the yellow one!!!!

On the 2nd picture there seem to be some excessive soldering at the bottom of the board where J1D2 is. Try removing some of the extra soldering and also it would be a good idea to test with a multimeter if there is cross talk between any of the 5 points/wires of J1D2. You can also try soldering the wires from below the board.

Out of interest, as you bought this from eBay, when you opened it was there any sign that an attempt has been made before to read the NAND or Jtag the console?

kisuka

Noob Account
Oct 17, 2010
Sorry, meant the red, orange, yellow wires (QSB wires).

I will try your suggestions in a bit and reply with results.

As far as I can tell no attempts have been made before.

Jun 4, 2010
Alright, a shot in the dark but worth a try. De-solder the yellow wire and solder it to a ground area (copper bit) after you have given it a good clean.

KillerFurby

Noob Account
Oct 11, 2010
I feel your pain man. Long story short: I spent an entire three-day weekend trying everything to get the stupid thing to work after I messed up a Xellous flash. Still getting flash controller error, despite always checking every solder point for continuity with a multimeter. By the way Xmods, I told you about this in IRC the other night and you said to short out the NAND. Eventually got it to turn on (multiple times) without power brick turning red. Still not working...

kisuka

Noob Account
Oct 17, 2010
Is it possible that the points could be damaged but the Xbox still works?

Because I would think that if the points where you have to solder are damaged the xbox would show RROD. Or am I mistaken?

Xmods

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2002
Is it possible that the points could be damaged but the Xbox still works?

Because I would think that if the points where you have to solder are damaged the xbox would show RROD. Or am I mistaken?
if the pads are blown the xbox will function fine but you will not be able to dump the nand i have a tread with how to rebuild just about ever point their is on the motherboard

http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55120

Xmods

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2002
I feel your pain man. Long story short: I spent an entire three-day weekend trying everything to get the stupid thing to work after I messed up a Xellous flash. Still getting flash controller error, despite always checking every solder point for continuity with a multimeter. By the way Xmods, I told you about this in IRC the other night and you said to short out the NAND. Eventually got it to turn on (multiple times) without power brick turning red. Still not working...

start a topic of you own or link me to one you have and i'll try and help you out also