Trouble w/ LiteOn 74850c Firmware Update

EXCellR8

Noob Account
Sep 18, 2010
Hello fellow modders, I was looking for a little help flashing my LiteOn drive... so I will first state exactly what I have for hardware and what I'm trying to accomplish.

I bought a second-hand Xbox 360 elite with a LiteOn 74850c installed. It turns out that the previous user had the drive flashed with ixtreme 1.51 firmware. I want to flash the drive to LT 1.1 but it's not working very well at all. I've managed to extract the key OK after some work, but now I can't get the drive to erase and flash.

I picked up the CK3 Lite and Probe V2 (which turns out i didn't even need :rolleyes:) and I'm using an older SATA-I chipset. The chipset is the Silicon 3112A on an Abit NF7-S 2.0 motherboard. After spoofing the key in JungleFlasher, when I go to erase the drive, it returns with status 0x50 and then goes into 0x51. Of course JungleFlasher then states that the erase failed and I can't do much else. I need 0x72 correct?

--

I've been pouring over many flashing threads and tutorials but I cannot seem to get a few things answered... seems the little things are always left out.

1. Does the disk tray need to be half-open throughout the entire erase/flash procedure? -is the CK3 supposed to be ON of OFF?

2. Does the CK3 eject button need to be pressed or depressed?

3. Do i need to flash the drive to the stock firmware before going to LT 1.1?

Thanks in advance for any assistance, cheers! :D

BGAMods

VIP Member
Jan 20, 2010
UK
bgamods.co.uk
all you need to do is load your firmware which youve already done. then liteon erase and power cycle on the 2nd set of dots on the log. if this fails then just click intro and it should hit vendor mode. the tray only needs to be half open when extracting the key therefore tray position makes no difference to what youre trying to do.

EXCellR8

Noob Account
Sep 18, 2010
thanks

ok thanks i will try that now and post back with the results. i probably should have added that i was power cycling but the tutorial i was following instructed me to do it really quickly and i wasn't sure about the tray. i got sort of lost halfway through so thanks again for the input.

EXCellR8

Noob Account
Sep 18, 2010
still not working

i tried the erase command again and it didn't work; i just got this:

Sending Lite-On-Erase request to port 0xA000
Drive returned Status 0x50
Device Intro failed!
Sending Vendor Intro to port 0xA000
Status 0x51
i did a quick power cycle on the second line of dots and still got the 0x51. i also tried hitting the info button but that didn't do anything either, it just kept adding dots for 4 straight lines...

EXCellR8

Noob Account
Sep 18, 2010
okay, so after many failed attempts i think i finally came to the conclusion that my chipset isn't letting this happen. so, i just went ahead and bought a VIA 6421A card for $10 and I will go that route. this sort of turned out to be quite the pain in the *** but whatever, at least I know the VIA chipset is compatible. everything else with the drive itself checks out fine, but it just won't go into vendor mode.

i should have the card later this week, so i will post back with the results. in the mean time does anyone know of anyone who has had more luck with the Silicon Image 3112A chipset?

BGAMods

VIP Member
Jan 20, 2010
UK
bgamods.co.uk
hope it works for you mate. let us know how you get on. remember to install, then delete the via drivers. if you dont itll freeze your computer when doing a liteon erase or writing to a liteon.

incoltswetrust

Apr 4, 2010
ya if u got your key you are good, via card helps out a lot, my on board sata worked fine but sometimes froze jf and crashed the pc. after i got via 6421 everything is smooth.

EXCellR8

Noob Account
Sep 18, 2010
thanks

alright thanks for the additional info guys, i should be able to get this done with the VIA card. one last thing though--after i uninstall the drivers i can't restart the computer right, or it will just reinstall them? i don't remember if the JF tutorial states this or not. either way i will probably just uninstall them and go straight to JF to erase/write the drive. hopefully it doesn't freeze me up...

EXCellR8

Noob Account
Sep 18, 2010
Success!!

Okay so my VIA card (which is a lot nicer than i anticipated) was delivered earlier today and I got it installed. Uninstalling the drivers was giving me a bit of trouble but i finally managed to get rid of them. I opened up JF and ran through the procedure once more after finding the drive and verifying my firmware once more. The drive erased no problem and verified OK after the Target FW was written. I tested it out and it worked just fine :cool:

So, I guess I'm all set now... thanks for the help and I will make sure TX is the first place I go for additional information. Cheers!!