Troubleshooting NAND-X / JRP Connection Problems

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
This guide could belong in either RGH or JTAG as it applies to both.

It's not a conclusive guide, but a good starter for 10 if you can't read/write to the NAND ('not found error message').

Look at the images below. With the PSU connected and the console OFF, you should get the following readings from each point as directed. If you get something drastically different, you probably have an issue somewhere and explains WHY you can't detect the NAND.

The points are from a Xenon board, however these points are the same for ALL consoles.

Set your meter to volts first off and make sure they all read as below. Put the black probe on a ground point then to each of the points indicated.

Next , for the two 0v points set the meter to ohms. They should read as below. If you have a bridge or short, you'll soon know about it.

Ok - first update:

Watch for J1D2.1 (point 1 in the pics) being less than 1v (i.e 0.05v and a resistance less than 2k). This point goes DIRECTLY to the southbridge.

The only solution to this may be a reflow of the southbridge itself. However these points may also report back as 0v if you've flashed the wrong (or corrupted) SMC.bin to your console. You can test this by performing the bad-flash recovery.

Update #2:

"No USB Controller Found" can be caused if the STBY_CLK line is damaged, or R3B15 has 'blown' (resistor should be 34Ohms, but will be much higher if damaged). If your SMC is corrupt, you will also get this error, so worth noting if you don't know the history.

Update #3:

Getting this when reading/writing?

Writing
Error: 0 Programming block 0
Error: 0 Programming block 8
Error: 0 Programming block 10
Error: 0 Programming block 18
Error: 0 Programming block 20
Error: 0 Programming block 28
Error: 0 Programming block 30
Error: 0 Programming block 38
Error: 0 Programming block 40

Check the value of R1P7 (RB point on DemoN etc). It should be 2.3k.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by a moderator:

afsilver

VIP Member
May 23, 2010
Haugesund, Norway
www.google.com
Re: Troubleshooting NAND-x connection problems

this goes right in my bookmarked list! always where i have issues!

i've found tho that using highpowerd units on the same circuit (subwoofers, strong lights and amps) also causes alot of errors when reading the nand, every time my subwoofer "stroke" while reading nand i suddenly got alot of errors like "error 0/1000/250 reading block xxx" and "incompatible arm fw for this version of nandpro"

turned of everything but the nesecery appliances and nand read without errors!

Reactions: XL3THAL VIP3RX

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com

this goes right in my bookmarked list! always where i have issues!

i've found tho that using highpowerd units on the same circuit (subwoofers, strong lights and amps) also causes alot of errors when reading the nand, every time my subwoofer "stroke" while reading nand i suddenly got alot of errors like "error 0/1000/250 reading block xxx" and "incompatible arm fw for this version of nandpro"

turned of everything but the nesecery appliances and nand read without errors!
Yep, I experience this too. I turned off my soldering iron mid-read and got a load of read errors. One to watch out for..

Reactions: xbox360

marshamods

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2010
ohio

Yep, I experience this too. I turned off my soldering iron mid-read and got a load of read errors. One to watch out for..
Wondering the reason of that. I have done alittle experimenting and have not had any error will powering on and off devices.

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com

What's strange is that it's all plugged into a surge protector so it should stop this. I have the NAND-x close to my soldering iron so wonder if it was picking up from that.

danielos80

Nov 21, 2010
Poland

Hi guys, I need your help. Since yesterday i'm fighting with nand dump. I'm having a "looking for interface" message. I double checked all of my solder points. They alle seems to be fine, I used qsb.
I measure the points with martin c diagram and my readings are:
1: 1V
2: 3,22V
3: 1,2V
4: 3,2V (no ohm)
5: 0V ( no ohm)
6: 3V

I don't know why but they are not equal to martin c measures, maybe because I have qsb installed, or maybe because this is zephyr motherboard.
Please help, any sugestions will be good.

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com

Pin 4 should be 0 and since it's next to pin 2, I would get a meter and check for a short between 2 and 4. I reckon it's bridged.

All SPI points are the same on all board, so it doesn't matter what one you have. They should be pretty close to the above numbers.

aclark20

Sep 6, 2011

What's strange is that it's all plugged into a surge protector so it should stop this. I have the NAND-x close to my soldering iron so wonder if it was picking up from that.
An appliance kicking on won't cause a surge, it'll cause a sag... the opposite. You'd need a "sag protector" (ie. a UPS) to fix the power quality issues. Or just an outlet that's on a different circuit than the appliance.

Rogerioalk

Noob Account
Mar 30, 2011
Minas Gerais - Brazil

This guide could belong in either RGH or JTAG as it applies to both.

It's not a conclusive guide, but a good starter for 10 if you can't read/write to the NAND ('not found error message').

Look at the images below. With the PSU connected and the console OFF, you should get the following readings from each point as directed. If you get something drastically different, you probably have an issue somewhere and explains WHY you can't detect the NAND.

The points are from a Xenon board, however these points are the same for ALL consoles.

Set your meter to volts first off and make sure they all read as below. Put the black probe on a ground point then to each of the points indicated.

Next , for the two 0v points set the meter to ohms. They should read as below. If you have a bridge or short, you'll soon know about it.

Ok - first update:

Watch for J1D2.1 (point 1 in the pics) being less than 1v (i.e 0.05v and a resistance less than 2k). This point goes DIRECTLY to the southbridge. The only solution to this may be a reflow of the southbridge itself, as it's obviously shorting against another point.

Hope this helps someone.
The pin 5 and 6 are inverted!

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com

they are according to the pinouts, yes.

I'll adjust the image so it matches - thanks!

EDIT - sorted!

Last edited:

doolcan

Noob Account
Dec 23, 2011

Hi I have been fighting with a jasper 16 for the last several day prepping for a rgh. I have the dreaded " Could not detect a flash controller!" I have jtagged several 360s and never had an issue. I have re-soldered it probably 10 times.. Top of board, bottom. ground on usb ect... I get a blink on the controller when attempting a read. After days of searching I stumbled across this thread and I attempted the point readings. I have no meter experience but I get absolutely no readings on points 1 and 3. Not even a flicker. Everything else matches what has been posted. Just wondering if you think it is the southbridge problem you mentioned, Im just a idiot and don't know how to use a meter.., or my nand-x is toast? I have attached a pic of my soldering just incase you see something I dont. Pardon the flux glaze but after this many attempts you can never be too careful.
ps the xbox was virgin. retail nand. boots fine still

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com

If you're taking readings, ensure the PSU is connected and the NAND-x isn't. The wires can be there however.

To take readings, you put the black probe on a ground point and the red probe on each of the points mentioned.

doolcan

Noob Account
Dec 23, 2011

Yeah thats what I did. Points 1 and 3 nothing. 3.37v on #2 and 40 ohms on the dot on #4. 3.56v on #5 6.26k on #6

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com

Those points go right to the southbridge so either that's bad on those points (and needs a reflow) or you have broken the traces to the southbridge - very unlikely, looking at the image.

doolcan

Noob Account
Dec 23, 2011

Thanks man I appreciate the help. I think I'm going to cut my losses on this one and give up since it boots and plays fine still at this point. I'll have to go look around after Christmas for a better candidate and try again. I thought for sure my nandx was shot. At least thats not the case. Thanks again.

Krafter

VIP Member
Apr 17, 2011
Indiana

A very nice troubleshooting guide. This might just come in handy someday. :)

doolcan

Noob Account
Dec 23, 2011

An update.... Well I tracked down a zephyr and attempted it. Different psu too. I upgraded the nand-x to 3.0 and it seems i sucessfully flashed the coolrunner. Again it would not detect the nand. The nand-x is apparently the issue. Seems they have a pretty short lifespan from what ive read in here :( Thanks again for the help.

update broke down and installed xp on a old junk pc with an lpt port. zephyr is dumping fine as i type. imagine jasper will be the same. time for a new nandx. thanks again martin c. I have some more things in my troubleshooting arsenal.

Last edited:

Support Our Sponsors