Troubleshooting NAND-X / JRP Connection Problems

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
Re: Troubleshooting NAND-x connection problems

If the .ecc file is on the nand and the 3.3v, GND, STBY_CLOCK or CPU_RST wire is not connected to the CoolRunner or other Glitch device correctly you will get this error

"USB INTERFACE NOT FOUND"
I'm not 100% convinced about this. The NAND-x needs to talk to the NAND via the southbridge so SPI connection is the only thing needed. The SMC written (and how it's written) to the NAND is the most important factor as get this wrong and it's a corrupt SMC = Southbridge can't communicate. If this is the case, the console won't even boot. I've had plenty of RGH repairs come my way where the CR wasn't even fitted and ecc was in place and I was still able to read/write to the NAND.

showstopper

Noob Account
Nov 30, 2011

Not sure whether to start a new thread or not but...

OK so I am trying to flash my nand (Jasper 16MB using wire install on nand-x) and they all dump with "Error 250 @ block 19". The problem is that they never compare without differences. I have dumped it lots and they all have the block 19 but I never get the "No differences found" message. My multimeter is broke so I have ordered another but I just want to see what people's thoughts are. Reading around it seems to suggest soldering problem.

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com

Not sure whether to start a new thread or not but...

OK so I am trying to flash my nand (Jasper 16MB using wire install on nand-x) and they all dump with "Error 250 @ block 19". The problem is that they never compare without differences. I have dumped it lots and they all have the block 19 but I never get the "No differences found" message. My multimeter is broke so I have ordered another but I just want to see what people's thoughts are. Reading around it seems to suggest soldering problem.
If you have a problem you want help with, start a new thread. Simples.

Antalpromille

VIP Member
Aug 4, 2011
Borås, sweden

Hi everyone!
does this apply to the slims to? i have a slim trinity that have other issues (haven tryed reading the nand as its updated to latest dash) and im trying to rule out what could cause the problems. pin 1 & 3 measures 30-40 mv (up to 80mv if i heat it a little) and have no resistance againg ground.

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com

Hi everyone!
does this apply to the slims to? i have a slim trinity that have other issues (haven tryed reading the nand as its updated to latest dash) and im trying to rule out what could cause the problems. pin 1 & 3 measures 30-40 mv (up to 80mv if i heat it a little) and have no resistance againg ground.
Yes, 1 and 3 need to have around 1v still, but I think on slims it's closer to 1.5v.

Antalpromille

VIP Member
Aug 4, 2011
Borås, sweden
Yes, 1 and 3 need to have around 1v still, but I think on slims it's closer to 1.5v.
Well then its very wrong in my case. Is it ok if i pm you some questions? Dont want to disturb this good thread.

frazzeld

VIP Member
Jun 21, 2007
UK

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com

The worst part is the post immediately before his is from me, advising someone else to start a new thread.

Massive fail - no wonder you can't read your NAND.

tijsva

Noob Account
Feb 27, 2013

I'm trying to read my nand for the first time, and I'm using a jr-programmer (v1) on a phat (falcon) xbox. The dvd-drive was clean when I bought it and I'm trying to recover the dvd-key from the motherboard.

These are my soldering points (which I have re-done 3 times to figure out if the soldering was bad (which I think is'nt):

I've used my multimeter to figure out the read-outs:
1) 0v
2) 3,3v
3) 0v
4) 40 Ohms
5) 3v
6) 5,56 kOhm

According to the guide this would mean I need to reflow the Southbridge or a wrong SMC.bin file was flashed. The xbox never had any soldering done to it so the only thing I can come up with is the Southbridge reflow. However, I'm wondering if this would be the solution since the xbox boots up fine.

The only message jr-programmer returns is:
Flash Config: 0x00000000
Can not Continue

Spaz2203

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2011
Connecticut
team-xecuter.com

id say its your soldering
after you tin the wire cut it down so its short, and solder the wires so they go straight down not off to the side....

also just in case......is your xbox plugged into a power supply but NOT turned on? if not thats your problem

tijsva

Noob Account
Feb 27, 2013

I've measured the soldering points at the end of the wiring as well as at the motherboard side, none seem to have read-outs. The console boots fine, also the powerbrick is connected. Can something else such as the jr-programmer firmware be the problem? It is 1.04 IIRC.

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com

1 and 3 are SPI read/write. They should have at least 1v on them even with nothing connected to them.

That alone should answer your question.

tijsva

Noob Account
Feb 27, 2013

1 and 3 are SPI read/write. They should have at least 1v on them even with nothing connected to them.

That alone should answer your question.
Thanks, will try to clean those two points up and try again. To be continued.. ;)

tijsva

Noob Account
Feb 27, 2013

Thanks, will try to clean those two points up and try again. To be continued.. ;)
Flashing the correct firmware for my jr-programmer seemed to be the issue, and faulty multimeter messed up my readings (currently reading 0,28v on point 1 and 3). Reading the nand succesfully now, thanks a lot!

Krafter

VIP Member
Apr 17, 2011
Indiana

I was getting a flash config of 0x00000000 on a Trinity. Using this guide I found that I had 0 volts on point 1. After further inspection, I found a damaged trace on the bottom side of the board on that point. Did a quick repair job and all is good now.

Thanks Martin C. :)

Tapatalk misspelled it. Knot me.

Reactions: Martin C

chris2122

VIP Member
Mar 11, 2011
Sunderland

What about slim consoles? the points are J2C1 and J2C3, what readings should crop up from those? I'm assuming the test points are the same?

Support Our Sponsors