[TuT]How to replace the original 2.5" Xbox360 HDD with a bigger HDD(Jtag/RGH Only)

[TuT]How to replace the original 2.5" Xbox360 HDD with a bigger HDD(Jtag/RGH Only)

Seems like many new Jtaggers/RGHers don't know how easy and simple it is to replace an original 20GB/120GB etc Xbox360 HDD with bigger ones. Although many people would say that external USB HDD does the same thing, but doing this instead isn't bad, plus it costs less and I personally prefer to do this instead of keeping an external HDD connected all the time to my Xbox360 ;)

OK, so here's a list of the items you will need:

1. Any original Xbox360 HDD. The size doesn't matter.

2. TORX #6 screwdriver & TORX #10 screwdriver

3. A nice 2.5" laptop HDD with SATA interface. I personally use this one: WD Scorpio Blue 500GB

========================

What you have to do:

1. Have a look at this video to know how to open and close the Xbox360 HDD: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6qV3EiuaHI"]How to Open and Close the Xbox360 HDD[/ame]

2. Open up the original Xbox360 HDD you have, and replace the one already present in it with one you bought and close the case.

3. Now connect the HDD with your Jtagged/RGH console. It should recognize it without any problem. Just go to the Memory Tab under the Setting Menu and format the HDD from there.

Simple, right? It's very easy once you start to do it.

========================

Now one additional thing that you'll need to do is to install the official Xbox360 System Update corresponding with the version of hacked Dashboard you have on your console i.e. If you're on 13604 version of hacked Dashboard, you'll install the 13604 version of the official Xbox360 System Update. What this will do is that it will bring all the avatars etc back and you'll also be able to use Kinect, which you can't unless you have applied the official update.

NOTE: If you've DashLaunch installed, then you'll probably have to rename the "$SystemUpdate" folder to "$$ystemUpdate" in order for it to get recognized and get installed on your Jtag/RGH Xbox360.

========================

Many of us want to play original Xbox1 games on the Xbox360. Many of us don't. So, if you're one of those who like to play Xbox1 games using your newly formatted HDD, you need to do the following:

1. Get HDD Compatibility Partition Fixer v1. Just search for the file
"hdd_compat_partition_fixer_v1.zip" and you will find it easily ;)

2. Copy the above downloaded program to your Xbox360 and run it using XeXMenu. Then restart your console if doesn't restart by itself.

3a. Download this: Default.zip, extract it and run it on your console, it should copy the necessary files to run Xbox1 games on your Xbox360.

3b. After this, if you want to, you can download the hacked Xbox1 emulator files and copy it to Partition 2 (HddX in XeXMenu) if you also want to play games not supported by the official Xbox1 compatibility update.

NOTE: You'll also need to have DashLaunch patches installed on your Jtag/RGH in order to play Xbox1 games.

--------------------------------------------------
Hopefully you will find this Mini-Tutorial useful
:p

- M AzeeM K

Last edited:

jfelding

VIP Member
Feb 9, 2010
Denmark
Re: [TuT]How to replace the original 2.5" Xbox360 HDD with a bigger HDD(Jtag Only)

Seems like many new Jtaggers don't know how easy and simple it to replace an original 20GB/120GB etc Xbox360 HDD with bigger ones. Although many people would say that external USB HDD does the same thing, but doing this instead isn't bad, plus it costs less and I personally prefer to do this instead of keeping an external HDD connected all the time to my Xbox360 ;)

OK, so here's a list of the items you will need:

1. Any original Xbox360 HDD. The size doesn't matter.

2. TORX #6 screwdriver & TORX #10 screwdriver

3. A nice 2.5" laptop HDD with SATA interface. I personally use this one: WD Scorpio Blue 500GB

========================

What you have to do:

1. Have a look at this video to know how to open and close the Xbox360 HDD: How to Open and Close the Xbox360 HDD

2. Open up the original Xbox360 HDD you have, and replace the one already present in it with one you bought and close the case.

3. Now connect the HDD with your Jtagged console. It should recognize it without any problem. Just go to the Memory Tab under the Setting Menu and format the HDD from there.

Simple, right? It's very easy once you start to do it.

Hopefully you will find this Mini-Tutorial useful
:p
Nice little tutorial! I bet many will find it useful, great to be able to post a link to it for people that dosn't research. Sticky this! :D

Hackerjac

VIP Member
Jun 2, 2010
Denmark
Re: [TuT]How to replace the original 2.5" Xbox360 HDD with a bigger HDD(Jtag Only)

nice one m8, pretty and simpel
But maybe you should add how to make Partition 2 for thoose that want the xbox 1 emu installed

nice one m8, pretty and simpel
But maybe you should add how to make Partition 2 for thoose that want the xbox 1 emu installed
Actually, this is only the down side of it. I will see if I can add something regarding this in the tutorial because making Partition 2 is a little more complicated than it seems :rolleyes:

steven007

Noob Account
May 10, 2010

thanks m8 i got a new sata drive coming this will be great if i can do a partition 2

rocket8080

BANNED
Jul 9, 2010
uk, Oxfordshire

Ive been reading about HDD compatibilty partition fixer v1 and looks fairly easy to use. From what I read you put the files onto the root of the hdd and run the xex with any loader, this will create partition 2 on the hdd,( from what ive read it will wipe the hdd completely before doing this.) Reboot the console and it will ask for a system update, apply the 9199 update to install the missing files. Ive not done this yet but will have a go later as im not at home at the moment. hope this is of some help.

edit: Apply the update which is relevant to the dash. I said earlier the 9199 update as thats what dash Im using.

Last edited:

Well, I have added the Xbox1 compatibility section to this tutorial. Hopefully you will find it useful ;)

ruph

Noob Account
Jan 29, 2005
North Vancouver
Last edited:

Any drive suggestions that are bigger than 500gb? The 1TB 2.5 available now are thicker so they wont fit but i was wondering if this 750 would;

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=54088&vpn=WD7500BPVT&manufacture=Western%20Digital%20WD

also, would there be any noticeable difference in speed between 7200 and 5400 rpms for games? don't want to waste extra cash if not.
I am using a 5,400 rpm HDD and everything works fine without any problem. Although, if you really want your Xbox360 to be real fast, get an SSD :D.

As for the size, I already mentioned that the drive should not be thicker than the one originally present in HDD case. The height of the HDD that fits the Xbox360 HDD case is 9.5mm. Anything with more height than this will not fit the case. For example, some 2.5" HDDs currently coming have a height of 12.5mm, and if you bought one of these, it obviously won't fit the in the HDD case. Therefore, keep an eye out for it.

And by the way, the HDD to which you have given the link to has a height of 12.5mm. Therefore, don't buy it ;)

Get this instead: Seagate Momentus 750GB 2.5" HDD - 7200RPM, SATA-300, 16MB Cache

Last edited:

ruph

Noob Account
Jan 29, 2005
North Vancouver

excellent find and good price as well. i think i'll place an order for that drive now.:D i hope they come out with a standard sized 1TB soon.

excellent find and good price as well. i think i'll place an order for that drive now.:D i hope they come out with a standard sized 1TB soon.
No Problem :cool:

I also wish that they release some 1TB HDDs soon which can fit in the Xbox360 HDD case ;)

Truskillzz69

VIP Member
Aug 3, 2010

If I wanted to use a 3.5(don't have any spare 2.5's) can I just use the adapter piece from the hdd case and hook it up? Will that work instead of soldering new wires to my board? I have 3, 500gb drives and 2, 1tb drives all sata drives

If I wanted to use a 3.5(don't have any spare 2.5's) can I just use the adapter piece from the hdd case and hook it up? Will that work instead of soldering new wires to my board? I have 3, 500gb drives and 2, 1tb drives all sata drives
Simple Answer: No, it won't work.

If you want a detailed answer, reply back and I will explain it ;)

Truskillzz69

VIP Member
Aug 3, 2010

thanks. but na dont need a detailed answer :p i assume power differences

thanks. but na dont need a detailed answer :p i assume power differences
OK. As you wish ;)

But maybe I would like too ;)

Would you be so kind :D

Greetz

Seb
Its simple. Power difference. The amount of voltage required for a 2.5" HDD is not sufficient for a 3.5" HDD. Therefore, even if you connect the 3.5" HDD via the SATA switch that is present in the Xbox360 HDD case, it won't work.

jorgesalas831

VIP Member
Aug 2, 2010
California

Good post and tut it is really helpful for all the people new to jtaggin

Support Our Sponsors