Unfriendly jasper, issues with booting... 10+minutes or none at all

ultimate360

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2013
MN, USA
Ok, I have hit a challange for me today.. Anyways, here is the mandatory template:

TX Product(s) used: CoolRunner REV C
Console Type: Jasper
NAND size: 16MB
Dashboard version: 16747
CB version: 6754
Screenshot of NAND details from J-Runner: (photo 1)
updflash.bin log (if applicable): View attachment 27441

Description of problem: A jasper MW2 edition came into my shop today, so I went through my standard Jasper RGH process and got XELL and keys, extracts, ect. Then I built and flashed the XEbuild image, went to boot it and it boots. Problem is: it will only boot maybe 2 of 10 boots, and take at least 5 or 10 minutes if it boots at all... I started with the standard setup using RGH2 CR config with 1-2, JP open, CAP closed, File B, and rst wire going along the back of the mobo in front of fans, this was when I first discovered this boot trouble. So then I thought it wasn't a problem and swapped the rst wiring with WNYconsoles' "jasper trick" (which usually solves problems like this easily), but that didn't help at all, not one second better. I went through all of the CR settings and timings with no luck there as well. So here I sit with a Jasper that doesn't want to be friends with me and would rather boot after 10 minutes or not at all.. I've ran short of ideas, tried new CR's too, same results. Could really use some suggestions if you know any, Thanks guys :)

Was the console working before you started: Yes

Do you get a green debug light appear on the RGH chip every 4-5 seconds: Yes

How long is the light on for each time: A couple seconds, as it's been since the CR came out.

Works on stock?: Yes

IMAGES HERE: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s5hgbqp5cbloois/AACOzIlQeesi3Vt_H-BtYCcTa (they were too big to upload here, sorry.)

john mathews

VIP Member
Jan 3, 2014
peoria illinois
hey all my jasper boots under 30sec s with 1-2 bridge cap bridged timing file a and cpu rst wire over the top of fan shroud I use the blue wire that comes with pht wire package and I know all xbox aren't the same

Last edited:

ultimate360

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2013
MN, USA
hey all my jasper boots under 30sec s with 3-2 bridge cap bridged timing file a and cpu rst wire over the top of fan shroud I use the blue wire that comes with pht wire package and I know all xbox aren't the same
Yeah, they all usually work just fine that way for me too, but this particular one is being a super pain for some reason. This is so far, the most stubborn console i've ever had enter the door of my shop... And i've been at this for 4 years, lol

ultimate360

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2013
MN, USA
have u tried resistors and caps if so wait for cr4:biggrin:
Yes I have, almost every combo possible, even tried a CR3 lite to play with rst cleaner. I might just need to wait for CR4, I will be very impressed if it can hammer this this out. It's very bad

jligg

VIP Member
Mar 16, 2011
Cincinnati Ohio
Try using knyar wire straight from chip under fan shroud straight to r8c2..cut it to fit..ive always got great boot times with that method even on stubborn ones

ultimate360

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2013
MN, USA
Try using knyar wire straight from chip under fan shroud straight to r8c2..cut it to fit..ive always got great boot times with that method even on stubborn ones
That helped, it still won't boot more than half of the time though. But that did drop the time about 2 minutes suprisingly, (still takes about 4-8 minutes when it actually does decide to boot, lol) Thanks

nofeloniesyet

VIP Member
Jan 16, 2011
Nowhere
That helped, it still won't boot more than half of the time though. But that did drop the time about 2 minutes suprisingly, (still takes about 4-8 minutes when it actually does decide to boot, lol) Thanks
tryed removing c8 and setting switch to slim? also sometimes i find using kynar wire for cpu rst (cut to length) works on stubborn boards.

ultimate360

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2013
MN, USA
tryed removing c8 and setting switch to slim? also sometimes i find using kynar wire for cpu rst (cut to length) works on stubborn boards.

Just tried that, now she boots in about 2 to 3 minutes. Might be as good as this one is going to get, lol

ultimate360

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2013
MN, USA
I WIN!

I found a crazy, yet effective rst wire location, check out the photo lol

Photo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fzxqd5pwxqjzblu/1405567196793.jpg

anyway it is booting now in around 3 to 5 cycles with CR3 Lite with the following settings:

LK1 Closed
LK2 Open
LK3 OPen
LK4 Open

S2:
4 and 7 ON

cpu_rst cable:
used the slim cable and placed it over the drive and fan shroud.

Who woulda thunk? :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Menethoran

Menethoran

VIP Member
Sep 1, 2012
Reading, PA
Absolutely amazing. i got my Jasper to boot Xell and got the key, then fought for 2 days of differing configurations just trying to get it to boot to dash after RGH2. The wiring solution provided here is the only thing that worked. (Im booting in about 2 minutes consistently, occasionally instaboot)... just fine tuning now. MUCH appreciated!

Reactions: ultimate360