LITEON 83850 v1 Unrecognizable Disc Error

thaliagoo

Noob Account
Dec 16, 2011
I've had my flashed Xbox 360 for a little over 2 years, rarely ever played with it. It is a Lite-On 838 v1. It has always worked fine and played all my games. The last time I played with it was probably a year ago. Today, all my backup discs gave unrecognizable disc errors but DVDs play fine. I initially thought that the dashboard was accidently updated, returning it to stock firmware so I re-flashed it, successfully. But the unrecognized disc error is still there. I'm trying to figure out the source of the problem.

Could it be
a) bad laser? I rarely played with my xbox and I even cleaned the laser (it was pristine) today to no avail
b) bad discs? They were burned with "Amazon" brand DVD+DL. No games have worked thus far.

I would appreciate any pointers in the right direction.

thaliagoo

Noob Account
Dec 16, 2011
I could try that, once I buy more DVD+DL. But I put the old discs into my computer and it is reading correctly (at least I am able to play a movie that tells me to put the disc in the Xbox).

thaliagoo

Noob Account
Dec 16, 2011
These are all old games (Guitar Hero 5, Assassin's Creed, ect)... :-(

Edit: I'm on an old dashboard, 2.0.9199.0

Last edited:

piromaniac

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Molex tower
that would most likely be down to a poor laser, you can replace them or buy a complete new drive..

thaliagoo

Noob Account
Dec 16, 2011
I'm on dashboard 2.0.9199.0 and I tried 2 FW, LT+ 1.1 and iXtreme LT 1.1

Neither new FW worked although it all went smoothly in Jungle Flasher

thaliagoo

Noob Account
Dec 16, 2011
YES, original games do work. I will try to burn some fresh DVD+R DL to see if I get any success.

Last edited:

thaliagoo

Noob Account
Dec 16, 2011
Problem Solved: all the discs were crap. Burned a new game and it works.

I guess I now know better than to buy the cheap stuff...