Upgrading to larger SD card, new install basically, but now getting black screen after license creation and Nintendo logo. Please help

Mognar

Noob Account
Sep 15, 2019
US
Hi,

I upgraded to a larger SD card. During the original setup, I chose the hidden emunand partition and had no problems following the guide. This time, I want to use folders instead for ease of copying/backing up the entire card, but I'm running into this blackscreen issue. I've searched the forums and tried quite a bit, but nothing has resolved the issue. I've reformatted the card several times as well. So I'm hoping someone out here would be able to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Here's my setup/steps.

I'm using the SX OS Pro Dongle
My OFW is 8.0.1, but that shouldn't matter.
I'm using SX 2.9.2 (originally I used 2.5.3)
I did not backup my nand as I have the one I originally backed up a few months ago.
Formatted the card ExFAT
Created my Emunand as files (originally, used hidden partition)
I can boot into SX OS and go into options, choose boot custom fw, etc...
When I choose boot custom FW, it prompts me to create the license file, which I do. Then when I try to boot in the CFW, I see the Nintendo logo and then the screen goes black. That's it. I haven't been able to get into the CFW at all.
I tried using the the generated license file, the one that I already activated, etc... but nothing has gotten past the black screen.

The only differences between this installation and my original is the version of SX OS used and the way the Emunand was setup... files vs. hidden partition.
I've tried using the 2.5.3 SX OS, but then I never saw the Nintendo logo after the license file creation.

I'm going nuts here... any help would be greatly appreciated.

The only option I can think of now, is to try and create the Emunand with a hidden partition as that worked originally... but I really would rather have it as an accessible file for backup purposes.

Thanks so much in advance for your assistance!

Mog

Electroz

Noob Account
May 6, 2019
NL, Canada
What brand and size of SD card is the new one? There are a lot of cheap fakes going around that could cause this. If it's a brand name card purchased from a reputable store, try formatting it again and starting from scratch.

Mognar

Noob Account
Sep 15, 2019
US
I'm using a 512gb Samsung EVO from a reputable seller. I always try and use quality cards. I just formatted the card yet again and i'm in the process of creating the Emunand. I'll update in an hour or so and post the results. It's just frustrating that the first time I performed the process, it went flawlessly :) And now this odd issue.

If it doesn't work this time, I may try with the hidden partition again and see if that works... that's the main difference that I see between this run and the original.
On a side note, I'm at work now and don't have the cradle to charge the switch. Can remove the dongle and plug a USB-C cable into the bottom while it's creating the Emunand? Hoping so, otherwise I'll only get two, maybe 3 attempts before the battery is too low.

Thanks!
Well... formatted the card and created a new emunand and same results. After creating the license key, see the Nintendo logo and then black screen. Trying yet again with the hidden partition option as that worked previously... will update later.

Last edited:

Mognar

Noob Account
Sep 15, 2019
US
Wanted to post an update in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

Basically, no matter what I did, I could not use ExFAT and get SX OS to boot into the CFW. Black screen every time...

I checked my old card in which I used the hidden partition option and saw that the card was formatted at FAT32... so, I formatted as Fat32 and everything worked fine after that. One difference that I noted was that the time to create the Emunand increased dramatically with Fat32. An hour or so using hidding partition/ExFat, close to 3 hours using Fat32 on a 512GB card.

Reactions: mrpajax

imprezgc8

Majora's Mask
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Top Poster Of Month
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
Sounds like your Switch does not have the exFAT driver. How did you update to 8.0.1?

Skeeter

Noob Account
Nov 24, 2019
USA
Any update on this having same issue.

I'm at 9.0.1 with ChoiDujourNXv102. ofw is 5.0.2.

Previous setup exfat sandisk 256 worked fine sxos2.9.2. Now nada with Sandisk 512. I've had a good write/verify with h2testw also list disk/clean all/active and such. Tried reinstall emunand many times.

Tried different sandisk 512 tonight. Still black screen after nintendo logo.

Any help appreciated.

Skeeter

Noob Account
Nov 24, 2019
USA
Upgraded SanDisk 512GB SDXC on low cfw w/out exfat support SX Pro

Its late, im tired. Doing this by memory. Any suggestions please post in SX Forums.

-Format SD to Full Exfat with SD Card Formatter from SanDisk.
-Format SD to Quick Fat32 with guiformat.
-Place boot & license in root of SD.
-Load SX and boot into rcm.
-Install Emunand "Not Hidden" Files.
-Boot into cfw.
-NOW - Shutdown.
-Take SD out, put in PC.
-Create 2 folders. "switch" & "firmware" in root of your SD.
-Copy/Extract ChoiDujourNXv102 to switch folder on SD.
-Extract 9.0.1 fw into firmware folder on SD.
-Put SD back in switch and boot cfw.
-Run ChoiDujour and install 9.0.1 fw.
-Shutdown/Restart.
-Shutdown.
-Put SD in PC and copy the whole SD to PC.
-Reboot into CFW.
-Format SD in switch.
-Shutdown switch. Will get boot.dat error.
-Put SD in PC and copy your SD Files (Everything you just copied to PC) back to SD.
-Enjoy!

I hope this helps someone.

Mighty_Richman

Jan 8, 2019
Germany
Have the same problem Samsung 512 evo pro...so maybe its just the card...my problem is SXOS isn't booting up because it won't read the boot.dat file...

Skeeter

Noob Account
Nov 24, 2019
USA
Have the same problem Samsung 512 evo pro...so maybe its just the card...my problem is SXOS isn't booting up because it won't read the boot.dat file...
To test my card I used h2testw_1.4. Be prepared it will take quite awhile to run.

I would try of course a new boot.dat. Did you try redownloading the sxos? It is possible to get a corrupt dl.

THeyKilledKenny

Noob Account
Jan 19, 2019
italy
Upgraded SanDisk 512GB SDXC on low cfw w/out exfat support SX Pro

Its late, im tired. Doing this by memory. Any suggestions please post in SX Forums.

-Format SD to Full Exfat with SD Card Formatter from SanDisk.
-Format SD to Quick Fat32 with guiformat.
-Place boot & license in root of SD.
-Load SX and boot into rcm.
-Install Emunand "Not Hidden" Files.
-Boot into cfw.
-NOW - Shutdown.
-Take SD out, put in PC.
-Create 2 folders. "switch" & "firmware" in root of your SD.
-Copy/Extract ChoiDujourNXv102 to switch folder on SD.
-Extract 9.0.1 fw into firmware folder on SD.
-Put SD back in switch and boot cfw.
-Run ChoiDujour and install 9.0.1 fw.
-Shutdown/Restart.
-Shutdown.
-Put SD in PC and copy the whole SD to PC.
-Reboot into CFW.
-Format SD in switch.
-Shutdown switch. Will get boot.dat error.
-Put SD in PC and copy your SD Files (Everything you just copied to PC) back to SD.
-Enjoy!

I hope this helps someone.
Where you wrote "Shutdown/Restart" after "Run ChoiDuJour and install 9.0.1 fw", is the switch able to boot (restart) in cfw Emunand?
If yes, why after that you want to "Format the SD in switch"?
You are deleting the boot.dat (sxos cfw) with that operation, you don't need to do that.

Bye!

Skeeter

Noob Account
Nov 24, 2019
USA
Where you wrote "Shutdown/Restart" after "Run ChoiDuJour and install 9.0.1 fw", is the switch able to boot (restart) in cfw Emunand?
If yes, why after that you want to "Format the SD in switch"?
You are deleting the boot.dat (sxos cfw) with that operation, you don't need to do that.

Bye!
yes the switch will boot into cfw after you update 9.0.1.
yes you then format SD in switch to exfat
yes that will delete everything on card but that why I said to copy your card to pc so then you copy back everything to SD then you will have 9.0.1 on an exfat card for your cfw switch.

Your installing 9.0.1 on an fat32 card so you can then format the card in exfat. Keep in mind this is for ppl on low ofw. This is a method that worked for me. I'm on 5.0.2 ofw.

Thx!