Use a seagate hard drive as internal drive for XBOX 360 SLIM

catthehat

Noob Account
Mar 29, 2017
Hi guys,
I have an XBOX 360 SLIM 4 GB edition and used a USB External hard drive until I bought this EA game which says it can't install the game on a USB drive. :rolleyes2:

So I formatted my 2.5 seagate drive (FAT32) and insert it in the internal hard drive of xbox 360
But it does not recognize it in storage

I searched for 3 days and I can't figure out how to get this working :facepalm:
anyone used a seagate drive as internal hd for xbox before? can you please suggest a way to get it working?

Joo C

VIP Member
Dec 2, 2011
South Africa
Formatting a non-proprietary drive and merely inserting it into the hard drive bay will only work on RGH/Jtagged consoles. If you want for it to work you will need to use a program such as HDDHacker depending on the size (I think there is a 500gb limitation) in order for it to recognize. I also dont understand how you were NOT able to use the drive as an external by formatting it using your xbox - this should have made the space available unless you're on an outdated dashboard.

catthehat

Noob Account
Mar 29, 2017
Hi Joo,
I also dont understand how you were NOT able to use the drive as an external by formatting it using your xbox - this should have made the space available unless you're on an outdated dashboard.
I did use the drive as external hard drive but the EA game says this:

The above-required and below-additional installations can only be installed on internal Xbox 360 hard disk drives only, and cannot be installed to USB drives, or other alternative storage devices.
so I was not able to install the game and I decided to format it using FAT32 hoping it will be used as internal drive.

When searching I did came across the HDDHackr tool but it only supports WD hard drives and mine is a Seagate.

Joo C

VIP Member
Dec 2, 2011
South Africa
Try formatting the external hdd in the xbox again! You may have originally formatted it using an older dash hence the space limitation. I recall MS releasing full external drive access after a specific dashboard released in 2015.

catthehat

Noob Account
Mar 29, 2017
Try formatting the external hdd in the xbox again! You may have originally formatted it using an older dash hence the space limitation. I recall MS releasing full external drive access after a specific dashboard released in 2015.
I formatted the drive in the XBOX dashboard and then inserted it in the internal hard drive spot and when going to storage it couldnt detect it
I just buy the hard drive, this is ridiculous, EA and this limitation