VIRUS WARNING**DO NOT DOWNLOAD "Blue Hyperbole (Gadget424)" skin

Captain_Blam

Jul 23, 2005
VIRUS WARNING**DO NOT DOWNLOAD "Blue Hyperbole (Gadget424)" skin

I know there are a lot of posts on this, but none of them mention the skin name or what it does, in the title of the post. So many, such as my self, wind up downloading the thing.

It is a virus, and if you try to delete it while your network is connected to the internet, it will download a copy of itself. The virus is written in assembler/mach.lang...so it replicates itself very, very fast.

So make sure you disconnect your internet, or at least block all firewall ports before attempting to remove it, otherwise it will just load another copy of itself.

elshaddi

Noob Account
Mar 11, 2005
Dear chicken little,

First off, .zip files are designed to not execute code upon launching. Unless of course, we are talking about a self-extracting .exe file, but we aren't. Secondly, the files inside of this zip folder are: .bmp , .ttf , and .ini.

I've personally never heard of a .bmp file carrying a virus. Now, the .jpg files can, but that bug was plugged a while ago, but again, not the case here. .ttf are true type fonts, which also can't contain a virus either! That leaves us with the .ini file. I beg you, please don't make me spell that one out.

According to Microsoft, files ending with the extensions shown in the list below can contain executable code, and contain a virus.

.ade Microsoft Access project

.adp MS Access project

.bas MS Visual Basic class module

.bat Batch file

.chm Compiled HTML Help file

.cmd Windows NT Command script

.com MS-DOS program

.cpl Control Panel extension

.crt Security certificate

.exe Program

.hlp Help file

.hta HTML program

.inf Setup Information

.ins Internet Naming Service

.isp Internet Communication settings

.js JScript file

.jse Jscript Encoded Script file

.lnk Shortcut

.mdb MS Access program

.mde MS Access MDE database

.msc MS Common Console document

.msi Windows Installer package

.msp Windows Installer patch

.mst MS Visual Test source files

.pcd Photo CD image, Visual compiled script

.pif Shortcut to MS-DOS program

.reg Registration entries

So, sorry to thrwart your spamming efforts, but the final answer is: No chicken little, the sky is not falling, and that file does not contain any viruses.

Have a great day :)

Elshaddi

Reactions: ureterral

elshaddi

Noob Account
Mar 11, 2005
Oh, and yes, I do know there are many other obvious virus-containing files:
vbs
vb
scr
but i didn't feel the need to mention :)

KoshVorlon

May 12, 2005
elshaddi said:
Dear chicken little,

First off, .zip files are designed to not execute code upon launching. Unless of course, we are talking about a self-extracting .exe file, but we aren't. Secondly, the files inside of this zip folder are: .bmp , .ttf , and .ini.

I've personally never heard of a .bmp file carrying a virus. Now, the .jpg files can, but that bug was plugged a while ago, but again, not the case here. .ttf are true type fonts, which also can't contain a virus either! That leaves us with the .ini file. I beg you, please don't make me spell that one out.

According to Microsoft, files ending with the extensions shown in the list below can contain executable code, and contain a virus.

[ SNIP]

According to Microsoft, Windows ME is a good , stable OS, Linux is on the way out and the XBoX wasn't supposed to be crackable.

Do you belive everything Micrososft says ?

zephus

May 15, 2005
I can back all that elshaddai says about what extensions can contain virus code. Microsoft wouldn't need to explain that to us.

g$$$

VIP Member
Apr 21, 2005
IN
In the spirit of things, is there any confirmation of viruses in our little xbox hacking community ie. destruction of data , and if so, what, when and where?

Catalyst

VIP Member
Mar 16, 2005
San Antonio
g$$$ said:
In the spirit of things, is there any confirmation of viruses in our little xbox hacking community ie. destruction of data , and if so, what, when and where?
I've never come across anything... and I think I've used most of the software out there.

ureterral

VIP Member
Dec 8, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
www.fase.me
I rememer when some people where releasing modified versions of Slayers Evox Auto Installer 2.5 that formatted your hard drive when you hit any option.
Man that was funny watching people come into various channels havin a good ol winge.
Ahh the good ol days.

gbear

Noob Account
Aug 5, 2005
That is not even cool in the least. People that did that should have had there balls smashed.

EMAXX620

Oct 4, 2004
Michigan
gbear said:
That is not even cool in the least. People that did that should have had there balls smashed.

LMAO thats great

dhcalva

Noob Account
Aug 9, 2005
gbear said:
They should have their houses burned and their mother's beat. :p

baztheman

Dec 28, 2005
lets just hope it dont go down the sat tv community way,ive been a die hard sat tv viewer (yea yea not all p*rn channels LOL ) and flash updates for cams with time bomb code that kill your cam is a common thing these days

and when you think you can pay £70 for a cam and download a new file to update it can turn it into a ice scraper it totaly p1$$es people off

atleast on here we have a more common intrest in helping each other out...baz

Captain_Blam

Jul 23, 2005
ureterral said:
Yeay the world is safe once again... until someone else decides to attempt at ruffling some feathers.
Next time you may want to consider backing up your claims Captain_Blam.
Download that skin and install it on your xbox if you think I'm wrong!!!

Lost_Child_of_Mu

Noob Account
Dec 10, 2005
OH DEAR! Wish i read this b4 i downloaded it, i just installed an x3 cs chip in a 1.1 box, all was going well untill i started to browse skins via the x3 config options, i downloaded the blue hyperbollocks skin and now its rendered my x chip useless, the skin shows up fine but the options overlap each other and no matter what buttons i press i cant do anything.
I tried replacing the hard drive thinking the skins are stored on there but to my shock and horror etc they are stored on the chip itself.
PLEASE PLEASE i beg of you for some help here, what can i do to get rid of the downloaded skins, or reset the chip to defaults?
Am i the only person thats had this problem?
Flashing the bios doesnt seem to be an option cos i've got a crappy thompson drive that doesnt want to know about cd-r's and wont play my auto installer disk (worked fine on different box with same drive). I dont know the ftp details but i've tried 192.168.0.1-20 but nothing works.
Im in a right sorry state of affairs here and would appreciate some real help.
Thanks