GENERAL Why Can't I Upload Pictures?????

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
Due to the fact that a number of you own technology with absolutely no idea on how to use it, it's become necessary to write a noob guide on how to crop and resize images you take before trying to upload them to our site.

There is a 1MB limit per picture.

For reference, a 1MB JPG is HUGE, especially for the level of detail we need.

So without further ado, I present to you Martin C's image guide.

Requirements:

1. A PC (or Mac running Windows).
2. A Camera (or camera phone, or anything you click which takes digital pictures).
3. Irfanview (free image manipulation software).

1. Download the latest copy of Irfanview. You don't need the plug-ins. If you're needing to follow this guide to crop/resize images, it'll be over your head anyway.

2. Install IrfanView. You don't need to associate any extensions, however you'll find that 'Images only' is extremely useful.

3. Open your image in irfanview. If you associated irfanview with images, you only need to double-click the picture:

Looks harmless enough. Whoa - hold on.

Look at the bottom status bar.

2592 x 1936

That's HUGE.

We'll deal with that in a sec, but lets CROP the image to include what we're interested in.

4. Use your cursor and create a frame around the area of importance. Press CTRL-Y (or Edit / Crop selection) to crop the image based on the frame you just drew.

It should look like this:

So we've gotten rid of everything else which is unimportant.

That size still says 1712 x 1372 though.

5. Want to know what that means? View the image in its original size - CTRL-H (or View / Original Size) :

I've cropped the screenshot so only the left side is showing, but you get the jist. It's still huge.

So, we want to RESIZE the image to make it more acceptable.

Press CTRL-R (or Image / Resize/Resample). I would suggest starting with 1024 x 768 from the right-hand options, and see whether you can view the whole image on your desktop without having to scroll it (it'll keep your aspect ratio by default, so don't worry about it squashing/stretching the image):

For reference, the original image was 1.85MB.

Without losing any of the detail we're looking for, we've reduced this to 300kb.

6. Press S (or File / Save As...) to save the newly edited image. Choose a new name based on the pic in question.

I hope this puts an end to people uploading 4MB images of complete nonsense.....:rolleyes2:

Fisticuffs

VIP Member
Mar 14, 2011
Arizona, US
I hope this puts an end to people uploading 4MB images of complete nonsense.....:rolleyes2:
Hope in one hand and you know the rest....:tongue: Nice job on the tut. :cool:

Edit: Now just waiting on the one for wiping the backside :D

Last edited:

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2011
Tampa,FL
I know how much space the pictures can take on the TX server, so I usually try to just upload them to postimage or another service

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
I know how much space the pictures can take on the TX server, so I usually try to just upload them to postimage or another service
These sites are flooded with ads. If you want to avoid uploading to the TX server, get a dropbox account.

Stingerxxx

Noob Account
Nov 30, 2011
Indiana
Thanks MartinC, I havent posted any images yet, but at least when i do i wont look to foolish by sending a huge ef'ing file.

Support Our Sponsors