Why isn't my TX SX Pro Dongle Working?

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 2, 2010
WHY ISN'T MY PRO DONGLE WORKING?

Info
Firstly, you need to follow THIS GUIDE to be sure your switch is "hackable"

Once you determine it is - then proceed.

There are a few reasons why the TX SX Pro dongle doesn't work as you expected.

If you are having trouble please follow these steps.

#1.
Make sure your TX SX Pro dongle has a charge.
The recommended way to charge the dongle is to ONLY use the supplied micro USB cable and plug into a USB port on your PC.
The dongle only takes 5-10 seconds to charge.
The LED light on the Pro dongle should light up Green.

If the LED light does not turn green quickly unplug and replug the usb cable from the PC and wait 5-10 seconds.
If the LED is still not lit up, then your pro dongle may be defective. Contact your reseller with questions.

#2.
Use a freshly formatted Micro SD card and place a new copy of boot.dat onto the root of the card.
If you already have an activated license, you can copy license.dat to the card as well.

#3.
Next you need to make sure your switch is turned COMPLETELY OFF. If you have enabled AutoRCM in the past, it may be difficult to know if your switch is off.
The easiest way is to push the power button one time. Then wait for 10 seconds, then PRESS AND HOLD POWER FOR 15 SECONDS
Your Switch should be completely turned off now.
Insert the jig and the Pro Dongle into the switch
Hold the Vol+ button down and Press the Power button

You should be greeted with the SX OS BootLoader Screen

#4.
When this screen shows up, this means your Pro Dongle is working fine. If not, then proceed to Step 5.
If you had issues booting up your switch previously, it could be that AutoRCM is enabled.
When AutoRCM is enabled YOU MUST HAVE THE PRO DONGLE INSERTED EVERY TIME YOU TURN YOUR SWITCH ON! (You could also send payloads from an external source such as PC, cell phone, etc...)
Touch the Options button.
If you wish to disable AutoRCM, then tap the Uninstall AutoRCM button. This way, your switch will boot to the stock OS every time, UNLESS you insert the jig and dongle and hold vol+ when you power up

#5.
If your switch is not booting, then this could mean one of two things.
1. The battery is dead in your Nintendo Switch.
2. The Pro dongle is not working
Again, we need to BE SURE your switch is powered COMPLETELY OFF
Remove the jig and Pro Dongle
push the power button one time. Then wait for 10 seconds, then PRESS AND HOLD POWER FOR 15 SECONDS
Now plug in the charging cable that came with your Switch and leave it on the charger for 1 hour.
After 1 hour has passed, go back to step 3 and try again. If you have returned here again, read on to step #6

#6.
Due to the possibility of a completely dead Switch battery, the next test would be to try this Pro dongle on a different Nintendo Switch.
There is no need to boot completely into SX OS, all you would need to do is get to the BootLoader Menu to confirm the dongle is working.
If you absolutely can NOT get the Pro dongle to work, then you will need to contact your reseller with any questions you may have about warranty.
If you are stuck at a black screen instead of seeing the BootLoader, then try sending THIS PAYLOAD using:

[Windows] TegraRcmSmash
[Android] SX Tools
[Linux] fusee-launcher

If using one of these methods to send the payload and boot into SX OS works, and your Pro dongle hasn't worked, then contact your reseller.

This guide will likely change as other tests and solutions are brought to my attention.

THERE ARE SOME ISSUES WITH FOLKS WHO HAVE ENABLED AUTORCM AND HAVE LEFT THEIR SWITCH IN RCM MODE SO LONG IT COMPLETELY DRAINS THE BATTERY.
BATTERY ISSUES SHOULD BE ADDRESSED IN A DIFFERENT THREAD.

Last edited:

Totoriko

Jul 16, 2018
"There is no need to boot completely into SX OS, all you would need to do is get to the BootLoader Menu to confirm the dongle is working."

I suspect that I have a defective dongle. If I try this on my other Switch (that I want to keep official and unbanned), will it risk getting banned if I boot to the menu using the dongle and jig?

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 2, 2010
If you are just testing the pro dongle and not booting into CFW or installing AutoRCM, then you will probably be fine. In that case don't even use the SD card, and instead of seeing the bootloader you will see an error message on the screen. That's all you need to see to confirm the Pro dongle is working.

sheltop

Noob Account
Aug 16, 2018
I have tried all of the steps above but it doesn't work. I've contacted the reseller but it's not worth it to pay the shipping cost to send it to China. I'll just use my phone or laptop to boot the firmware.

colking

Aug 20, 2018
My dongle seems to have a good charge (green when plugged in) but my switch screen stays black after following the rcm jig/volume +/Dongle method. Can't get bootloader menu to show up... My switch is brand new, bought recently (4.1) - I think nintendo may have patched my model as I can't install homebrew with jig method either. Can this patch prevent the bootloader from booting properly? My sd card (200gb scandisk ultra) is FAT32. Tried only having the boot.dat on root of sd card with nothing else. Still nothing. I didn't want to format exFAT on switch to avoid updating to latest firmware.

Not sure where to go from here...

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

delawaare

May 16, 2012
Germany
I want to buy a new Switch from Amazon how can I see before I buy if it is a patched Console ?
Do you have serial number ranges ?

Or which bundles are infected with that patch ? any information ?

fmartinit

Sep 9, 2018
Hello,I followed the intructions. My dongle turns the green light on so apparently is charged. I inserted the SD card with the boot file onto the root.
However, when I insert the jig the Switch doesnt turn on (holding + and power) If i take the jig of the Switch turns on normally (holding + and power) Any idea of what it could be?

Thanks,

rory2005

VIP Member
Jan 15, 2007
Sunny old England
You dont hold power, You hold + and tap power

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 2, 2010
Yes. I mean I hold + and tap power
I responded to your support thread. There is a chance your switch is patched. Either that or there is a problem with your SD card, or you did something wrong.

fmartinit

Sep 9, 2018
I responded to your support thread. There is a chance your switch is patched. Either that or there is a problem with your SD card, or you did something wrong.
[FONT=&quot]Hey,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I managed to fix it formating the SD card. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I installed the [/FONT]AutoRCM and after i boot it, tapping continue and continue the switch turns off and doesnt turn on again. Then I have to use the jig again and turn off AutoRCM.

Any idea of how i can fix it?

neil90

Noob Account
Sep 16, 2018
So I have Nintendo Switch Serial Number XAW1007188XXXX it came with version 4.1.0 when I try to load to the SX OS I cant get past the boot screen any ideas? Attached are images of the stuck screen and the contents of the SD card(boot.dat is SX OS 1.9)
IMG_3416.JPGnintendo switch micro sd.png

christianyuri

Noob Account
Dec 3, 2018
salve la mia console e xaj4005784******* la la mia sx pro non funziona sulla console.domanda? è la mia console che non può essere modificata??

pjrg

Noob Account
Jan 2, 2019
Portugal
Yes, if your switch has been patched, you CURRENTLY can not run SX OS. Hang tight.... TX is working on this situation.
My switch is patched. Can i buy the SX OS Pro dongle now, and wait for a future solution, or should i buy the dongle only when the solution for patched switchs is out?