JTAG WIP on Alternate NAND/JTAG points/ Tut

erfan223

Nov 1, 2011
USA
Like many of you new JTAGGERS using the NAND-X, I have ran into the ever so dreaded "Cannot detect flash controller" in Jtagtool. I decided to make a guide, and show you my problem along the way. This is my first time doing the JTAG. My goal is to dump the NAND first. Hopefully who ever has this problem can look at this and see how good or bad their joints are.

References: Diagram of ALTERNATE POINTS TO SOLDER TO
http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55120
Credits goto: Xmods
How to Install the NAND-X: http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54423 Credits goto: Xecuter
Video Guide to Freeboot install and Xell/Xellous:
http://www.jtaggers.com/videos/61-e...ool-and-nand-compare-nand-x-cygnos360-ltp-etc Credits again goto: Xmods​

****I am only able to work on this during weekends so bare with me as I upload pics along the way. ****

My setup: Using the NAND-X with the wire heads cut off. (Direct wire installation)
Zephyr Motherboard w/ dashboard 6717 (VERY OLD)
Windows 7 x64 Nand x drivers are installed
Power cable plugged in, and same for ROL when trying to dump NAND

MY PROBLEM: Rebuilding J1D2.3 J1D2.5.
Okay, so if you dont use the other 4 pin holes on the J1D2 and you have messed them up, is it ok to not rebuild those? Or are they needed for data to run through?

Please guide me as I try to fix this issue. Thanks

Last edited:

erfan223

Nov 1, 2011
USA
*****THIS IS A PIC OF MY OLD REBUILD THAT DID NOT WORK** I have desoldered this and a starting fresh and clean. More pics to come when I have time. WIP...

erfan223

Nov 1, 2011
USA
Here's some tips smaller gauge wire less solder. That tut that is posted above worked a treat for me use 30g wire. What watt iron are you using.

I always do a full rebuild for safety's sake.
I am using a 15 Watt Radio Shack Iron, without flux because I dont have it, and also okay I will use smaller gauge. The hard part is actually rebuilding the entire 9 pins on J1D2 -_- Its all good tho

WestCoastConsoles

VIP Member
Dec 29, 2010
Portland, OR
Bottoms line you need to use flux. It will cut contact time way down and reduce future damage. Flux insures there are no cold joints. There's a soldering tutorial around here somewhere shows you how to correctly solder. You need to use flux or this will not work easily.

TilVl

VIP Member
May 11, 2011
GET FLUX!!!! most important thing in the world as far as soldering goes.

syst3merror

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Indiana
wow, ummmm....might I suggest teaching yourself to solder on something OTHER than your xbox? Points are pretty fragile on the xbox and based on your pictures of your soldering, I'm afraid you are going to ruin it!

erfan223

Nov 1, 2011
USA
wow, ummmm....might I suggest teaching yourself to solder on something OTHER than your xbox? Points are pretty fragile on the xbox and based on your pictures of your soldering, I'm afraid you are going to ruin it!

I know how to solder you cocks***er! Ill invest in some flux, you go troll off somewhere else. Thanks to all others for advice. haha.

keil423

VIP Member
I know how to solder you cocks***er! Ill invest in some flux, you go troll off somewhere else. Thanks to all others for advice. haha.
Looking at your pics I would have to suggest that you practice your soldering more. Your second post looks like a nightmare I had back in Tech School!

It is a VERY good suggestion that you go take apart a cheap $20 Radio or something and try again. I am not trying to insult you but that soldering is very poor and your board is pretty well burnt there buddy.

Useing flux you should see a big Difference in your results.

erfan223

Nov 1, 2011
USA
Looking at your pics I would have to suggest that you practice your soldering more. Your second post looks like a nightmare I had back in Tech School!

It is a VERY good suggestion that you go take apart a cheap $20 Radio or something and try again. I am not trying to insult you but that soldering is very poor and your board is pretty well burnt there buddy.

Useing flux you should see a big Difference in your results.

Yeah man I went and got some flux, thanks!

erfan223

Nov 1, 2011
USA
Ok so I went ahead got some flux, and did the rebuild 2 weeks ago. The dangling blurry wire in the 3rd pic is unattached since its ground (yellow wire) i will solder it before i do the nand dump.

Questions: I noticed the tutorial for alternate points doesnt include the other alt points for the other 4 pins. Can anyone tell me where J1D2.6-9 are supposed to goto? Are these 4 pins necassary at all?

For some reason, nandpro tells me DLPortio is missing or something. and dlportio is for LPT im using the NAND x so whats the problem there?

erfan223

Nov 1, 2011
USA
Downloaded Nandpro 2.0d drivers from this website. The one from *bins didnt work because the folders were not organized. Anyways nandpro cannot detect my flash controller. Looks like this one is a complete failure. :(