X2.6 Wire Install

Xecuter

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 6, 2002
Asia
team-xecuter.com
First of all wire install suck. we dont like them. The LPC was designed for a pin header. However what do we know ? SO if you want to use wires - make sure you follow the X3 Pin Header Tutorials to the letter - except of course the part where you have to solder a pin header - in this case you will be soldering the wires.

You will notice that there is a really long red wire on the wires adapter. This is mainly for the v1.6 - where you have to pull 5V from an alternative point. Do not connect the extra red wire supplied - this is for pin header installs only. You must tape up / insulate the 5v pin on the X2.6 PCB itself so it doesnt short anywhere.

Simply follow the solder points below - very easy to follow.

V1.0 - v1.5

V1.6

Reactions: dpainter3380

8itgreat

Noob Account
Dec 16, 2003
really surprises me when i read you guys dont like wire installs lmao...thats all i do and love them....pinheaders are a pain in the ass...every wire install i have ever done is perfect to this day... did one pinheader install and weird things were happening with it (might have been a dodgy dvd rom drive) but took it out (pain in the freaking ass ) did a wire install and presto its perfect again

Stevenz

Dec 10, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
8itgreat said:
really surprises me when i read you guys dont like wire installs lmao...thats all i do and love them....pinheaders are a pain in the ass...every wire install i have ever done is perfect to this day... did one pinheader install and weird things were happening with it (might have been a dodgy dvd rom drive) but took it out (pain in the freaking ass ) did a wire install and presto its perfect again
I don't trust pinheader installs, the modchips have too much unsprung weight on them. My first xbox got moved about a _lot_ and eventually the traces on it got damaged. I've since stuck to wire installs so everything stays put. It also means I don't have to bother taking the motherboard out of the case.

mingwingming

Dec 7, 2002
You will notice that there is a really long red wire on the wires adapter. This is mainly for the v1.6 - where you have to pull 5V from an alternative point. Do not connect the extra red wire supplied - this is for pin header installs only. You must tape up / insulate the 5v pin on the X2.6 PCB itself so it doesnt short anywhere.

Im guessing that you mean to say the single red wire supplied with the 2.6 kit is ONLY to be used on the 1.6 board. Where as the long single red wire on the wire adapter is still used, if not then the drawing shown makes no sense as you show a red wire being used !!!

kero

Jan 3, 2003
xecuter said:
This would read better and be less confusing if it read:
]You will notice that there is a really long red wire on the wires adapter.
For v1.6 - connect this to the alternate 5V point.
For v1.0-1.5 - shorten and connect to the red pin as shown in the diagram below.

Do not connect the extra red wire supplied (this is not the really long red wire) - this is for pin header installs only. You must tape up / insulate the 5v pin on the X2.6 PCB itself so it doesnt short anywhere.
And here is a image that you may freely use... that might help some people.

(Note: i had not insulated the 5v pin yet as you all should do).

P-Dawg

Noob Account
Dec 25, 2004
MA
What version is that right there? of course its not a 1.6 due to that 5v not in use. i'm really new top this and been spendin most of my christmas trying to figure out how to run my x2.6 i orderd the other day.
thanx

kero

Jan 3, 2003
P-Dawg said:
What version is that right there? of course its not a 1.6 due to that 5v not in use. i'm really new top this and been spendin most of my christmas trying to figure out how to run my x2.6 i orderd the other day.
thanx
Its a version 1.0
I would only recommend using the wire install if you have a version 1.0 with the LPC port holes filled in.

Airdog

Noob Account
Oct 28, 2003
Finally! Some pics of a X2.6 install. I've been looking all over the net and all I've found are X3 install pic's for the X2.6...???? Anyway, I did a header install on a ver. 1.0 box the other day and it doesn't work with any Xecuter chip. I've tried a x2.3pro and a 2.3lite from other working boxes and all I get is Christmas tree lights. And yes, I checked all soldering points - even got the trusty multi-meter and did the continuity checks. All show good. What is it with the ver. 1.0 that causes this problem with the header install?

kero

Jan 3, 2003
Airdog said:
What is it with the ver. 1.0 that causes this problem with the header install?
It all worked fine for me on a v1.0..... The LAN and hdd leds do not work at the moment but when i get some more time im sure ill fix that.

avp2goobles

Noob Account
Dec 30, 2004
St. Louis
Do you have the smaller wires ( the set of red, green ,and grey) going anywhere? I can't figure out where they go.

kero

Jan 3, 2003
avp2goobles said:
Do you have the smaller wires ( the set of red, green ,and grey) going anywhere? I can't figure out where they go.
Pull the motherboard out and connect the three points on the back of the board.

Spork033

Noob Account
Feb 13, 2004
Hmmm... I bought the 2.6 from system-mods and my wire adapter doesn't have an orange wire... I've got in order:

# Color
1 Brown
2 Black
3 Empty
4 Empty
5 Long Red
6 Empty
7 Yellow
8 Empty
9 Blue
10 Green
11 Empty
12 Purple
13 White
14 Grey
15 & 16 Empty

Is this a faulty wire adapter?

kero

Jan 3, 2003
Spork033 said:
Hmmm... I bought the 2.6 from system-mods and my wire adapter doesn't have an orange wire... I've got in order:

# Color
1 Brown
2 Black
3 Empty
4 Empty
5 Long Red
6 Empty
7 Yellow
8 Empty
9 Blue
10 Green
11 Empty
12 Purple
13 White
14 Grey
15 & 16 Empty

Is this a faulty wire adapter?
Looks like they missed a wire. It would probably be easier for you to put your own wire in there - or see if they will send a replacement

halo2master1150

Dec 21, 2004
Behind You
nbcheats.tk
um i know it is going to be hard but i did the pinheader install first but it messed up and now i cant get it out. any suggestions on how to get it out and if not how to do a wireinstall on the opposite side of the mobo

seeker1

Nov 8, 2004
north east
pin header removal

Its actually not that difficult to remove the pin header, just gently heat the solder on one pin at a time while pulling the pin with a small pair of pliers.
It can be a bit arkward trying to hold the board but I find that gently holding it inbetween your knees is ok they should come out without much of a problem.

halo2master1150

Dec 21, 2004
Behind You
nbcheats.tk
um aight i got it out i hed an "expert" halp me solder it in da 1st tome and he melted the pin header to my mobo
now on to wire installation

Xbox Mod

Jan 28, 2005
xboxcomm.proboards42.com
i will soon post mine once i can fix it and other members can use it was a guide it's some wat like the 2.6 chip that is show one the first page but i use the stright pins:D

xcrosende

Noob Account
Jan 31, 2005
Xecuter said:
First of all wire install suck. we dont like them. The LPC was designed for a pin header. However what do we know ? SO if you want to use wires - make sure you follow the X3 Pin Header Tutorials to the letter - except of course the part where you have to solder a pin header - in this case you will be soldering the wires.

Simply follow the solder points below - very easy to follow.

V1.0 - v1.5

V1.6

dont do it it burn your xbox