X2.6 working but not working....

DynaMight

Dec 22, 2004
Devon
Very strange problem, I've installed loads of X2.x chips and never had meny problems, the usual frag from a poor connection etc but easily fixed. Just modded a v1.4 with a 2.6, It boots up, chip's blue LED shines, all lights on the external switch come on as they should but it boots to the MS Dashboard, No FlashBIOS... It doesnt boot my Evox DVD which tells me it's running the original BIOS somehow.

But the chip is on, External switch is set to On, Flash Protect Off and Bank 1 and 2 (I've tried both). If I turn the chip off I get the same MSDash but no blue LED from the chip.... Any ideas?

I've rechecked the LPC and D0, All seem perfect

M

ModDoc

really just sounds like a D0 problem. That's the only thing I can think of.

- or a faulty modchip on-off switch... but doesn't sound likely if the light are working.

DynaMight

Dec 22, 2004
Devon
I thought that at first but I've resoldered the D0 point 3 times now just to be sure. It's annoying now, I wish it would frag or something :)

DynaMight

Dec 22, 2004
Devon
What a total nightmere.

Resoldered it quite a few times, Same problem. Flashed it using the programmer, Same problem.

Installed the chip into a 1.0 and then my 1.1, Same problem... Installed my 2.2 into the 1.4 and that worked fine first time.

I have a 'slight' feeling the chip is somehow faulty :(

M

ModDoc

sounds like it. Must be something wrong with the chip. I ordered (2) 2.3b pro's way back in the day, and one was faulty right from modchips.ca

I sent it back and they replaced it for me.

DynaMight

Dec 22, 2004
Devon
What a night, 3 xbox's totally ripped apart. Started about 5:30pm and just finished putting them all back together(9:30pm)

Oh well, Back to the shop they go. Annoying because it always reflects badly on you (me)

Thanks for your help too

DynaMight

Dec 22, 2004
Devon
Sorry to bring this totally back from the dead, But I'll let everyone know what it was in the end, just incase someone else has the same problem.

It was the ...... Wait for it.... External switch! No idea how or why but it was!

So there you are, All sorted :)

ultimatecutter

Noob Account
Apr 14, 2005
its the swith thats sh*tting up if you hold down the connection to the switch and the chip and turnn it on it might work

motleysalty

Dec 26, 2003
RROD fix

Ok so my xbox got the RROD and I bought the stuff to fix it. I did the fix and over heated and then the xbox would work for a while. Redo it and it would work again. So I bought some Artic Silver 5 and since then cant get it to work after overheating. Idk what else to try and it is stressing me out, lol.

ReMix

Console Freak
Nov 4, 2003
Re: RROD fix

look up a reflow person on craigslist

should run you thirty bucks

xvanwilderx

Console Guru
Dec 7, 2003
Re: RROD fix

Don't do the overheating trick. Overheating your console while it's turned on is not good. All it will do is slightly warp your console so it will work for about a week (if you're lucky). You can read about it here.

If someone is doing professional repairs, they will charge at least $40 - and that's for a basic reflow. If someone claims to fix your console in only a few hours and / or for a really cheap price, it'd be worried that they are just going to hit it with a heatgun and then do a cheap x-clam fix (which would be worse then just leaving the x-clamps in).

I do professional repairs (reflows and reballs). I charge $45 for a reflow and $65 for a reball.

Find someone who knows their stuff and get them to fix your console.