X3 Wont start flashing via CD or DVD

Bad2bones

VIP Member
Jun 12, 2004
Hawaii
www.thinkgeek.com
Ok,

Basicaly i cant flash with CD-R or DVD-R (I made the disk correctly)

Would i not be able to flash X3 1959 because maybe of a dodgy Pin header install

read below for more info on how i installed X3

Any info would help

Thanks in advance

Xbox V1.0
Flashbios v3.0.1
X3
Samsung 616t

when i was installing i had a hard time removing the solder, ( I should have gone with wire install). well after about 2 hours and about 3 feet of desoldering braid i finaly got all the holes showing. but the problem was when i held the mobo up the light there was a little tiny bit of solder left in the LPC holes. i tried to get it all out but i didnt want to ruin my mobo. so i put in the Pin header and it took a litle bit of a nudge. then once i was happy i soldered them on. most of the soldering was perfect except 1 or 2 or the pins. (i have resoldered them and they look ok)

then i soldered the Do, lan, and Hd wires (did that easy took about 5 mins)

plugged everything in and the first time i booted up if fragged. so i tried to boot again and frag. i nearly died. then when i booted 3rd time i got Flashbios 3.0.1 (i was thinking yay) then i tried to boot to M$ bios. booted fine.

now i dont have computer at home so i have to flash though cd or dvd. i tried both but it dosnt start to flash. is it posible that the LPC holes had some solder left in?

when i try to flash it just hangs on the "Please insert disk - Flashijng mode"

Shuld i get some more braid and desioder the pin header and then clean it up and then resolder.

Also at the root menu of Flashbios v3.0.1 it dosnt highlight my selection :(

THanks

mrwill

Dec 22, 2004
UK
it stays on that screen whilst it attemptes to read the dvd media. Do you hear it reading?

I would suggest trying a diffrent media or cheking out a tutorial on how to burn a bios image to disc correctly.

If I were you I would also do a continuity test on that solder job.

Bad2bones

VIP Member
Jun 12, 2004
Hawaii
www.thinkgeek.com
whats a continuity test?

also when i boot up it flahes green then red then back to green and stays on green like a longer one frag.

Bad2bones

VIP Member
Jun 12, 2004
Hawaii
www.thinkgeek.com
Also the forum search is not that acurate.

can you search for exact phrase like searching on google "search for this"

xboxviciado

Jan 2, 2004
Case Painting Question

Hi, I just bought a "Replacement" case from DealExtreme.com. It was pretty cheap and the only place I could find just the cases (obviously I don't want to buy a new 360 every time I want to do a case mod of any kind.)

The only concern I have now that I have actually received the product is that the case has a satin finish on it. Would this mess with the paint at all?

Any information or advice would be wonderful. thank you.

TimTheTroll

Jan 22, 2004
Sand it down with 800 Grit sandpaper (Available at Wal Mart and Automotive stores). Just to be safe that's what I would do. And be sure to use a paint for plastics, I prefer KRYLON FUSION which is also available at Wal-Mart.

xboxviciado

Jan 2, 2004
alright. I painted a controller using Krylon Fusion paint and after about a month of playing with it the paint started to rub/chip off.

I cleaned the controller with rubbing alcohol, rinsed with water. did 2 coats of paint and two of clear coat.

any idea?

TimTheTroll

Jan 22, 2004
painting question

Alright, I'll just give you a run down of how I've been painting for the last few years.

Sand and clean controller.

Mask off areas like under the thumbsticks, battery pack area, and put tubing in button slots.

Then apply first coat of paint, a light coat......wait 10-15 min
Apply second coat....wait 10-15 min
*Apply third coat if necessary.

THEN put your painted pieces in the sun for a couple of days, that will make sure the paint fully dries.

After a couple of days your controller should be fully cured and ready to clear coat.

Apply first layer of clear coating....wait 10-15 min
Apply 2nd layer.... wait 10-15 min
Apply 3rd layer.... wait 10-15 min and then

Place controller in the sun for at least 3 days. Or near a heater for a few hrs at a time.
I've also noticed that paint can fade inbetween the two pieces where your hands go. To avoid fading, flip the controller of and apply some clear coat to the bottom sections, this way it gets inbetween the sections that hold the two pieces together. Let it sit in the sun for a day.

Then assemble your controller and get back to gaming! Hope this helps ya man!

I also attached a pic

TimTheTroll

Jan 22, 2004
Use painter tape for the stripes. You can get pinstripe tape at an automotive store, OR use the NEON GREEN painters tape. It's wayyyy better then the blue painters tape and wont let paint bleed through.

Be sure to do a paint job with the lighter color on the bottom, that way your top coat won't require as many layers of paint. The lighter the coats the better for two tone paint jobs because you won't have a layered texture to your paint job.

TimTheTroll

Jan 22, 2004
I don't know if the primer its self would adhere to the plastic.

Dupli Color Adhesion promoter makes it so that you can use whatever spray paint you want, it's just a clear spray of what's in krylon fusion that makes the paint adhere to plastic.