GENERAL Xbox 360 S No Power Help Please

BuntyK

Noob Account
Nov 9, 2016
Hi all,

I have just joined the forum so apologies if I post in the wrong section. I also wasn't aware that there were different variations of board and chipset so if you need me to take pictures or send you details please let me know.

I would REALLY appreciate some help

I have a Xbox 360 Slim with a no power problem. I have checked the power brick shorted the pin in the connector end to ground and the brick turns green, in fact I ordered another brick and tried that too just in case and that also failed to power it on.

When the brick is plugged into the xbox the light on the brick is orange and does not flash or change. its just in standby mode. When I press the eject or power, nothing happens at all.

I opened the xbox and had a close look at the power board (the one that you touch to turn on the xbox) no obvious signs of failure, I probed around a little with my multimeter and it seems power is flowing to the board.

I further opened the xbox and exposed the motherboard, had a look around and again no bulging or leaking capacitors, and no other obvious signs of failure.

I have been reading extensively online and many people have said the problem could be one of the following

a failing mosfet
a failing +5 or +12 fuse
a lifted resistor

I am a total noob (although I have some experience in electronics nothing extensive)

I was hoping you guys could guide me in the right direction as I don't know the locations of these components, there are many mosfets, which one am I looking at for power to the board? I know I can possible test them with pin 1 and 2 for power in, and pin 2 and 3 for power out, is this correct?

where are the fuses on this board I have tried finding pictures online but have had no luck.

Any help would be much appreciated. I am at the point of giving up and have honestly exhausted all avenues, I hate being defeated by things like this, I am an IT engineer and usually am able to fix almost all It equipment I get, but I am struggling to fix my own xbox :(

Can someone offer a helping hand please?

Thank you so much

Bunty

Dec 14, 2012
Interesting question..... Does the console beep or make noise when you hit one of the buttons? If not, I would be looking at the ribbon cable for the touch sensors. The fuses that most people talk about on an xbox are in the CPU itself, so there is no replacing them. They also have nothing to do with the console powering on, so I wouldnt worry about them quite yet.

BuntyK

Noob Account
Nov 9, 2016
Hi Gavin,

Many thanks for your reply, the console make absolutely no sounds, no lights, no nothing, is there anyway to bypass the ribbon and turn the xbox on by shorting out some pins? just as a test to see if the ribbon is definitely the problem. If not then i'll just go ahead an order a new ribbon and see how that works. Thanks again for your reply i really appreciate it.

BuntyK

Noob Account
Nov 9, 2016
Ok so i figured it out, i spent a little while examining the motherboard found an area labelled 'power' there were two pads. I shorted them out and nothing happened but i noticed the RF board was really hot, i removed it and shorted the two pads again and everything sprung into life, plugged the board in and it switched the machine off. Therefore the fault is with the RF borad, iv ordered a new one for £10. Can go wrong.

by the way the RF board is the board that you touch in order to switch on the xbox or eject a disk.

hope this can help someone one day.

Last edited:

Support Our Sponsors