Xbox 360 Slim, deadly slow boot times

EnDLesS

Noob Account
Jul 22, 2020
India
Hi team

I am new here, reached out to the forums while looking for a solution to my Xbox 360.

I bought a used rgh 360 which has been working well from an year. I have the dashboard v17544 installed a few months back. A few days back i realised that my DVD drive isn't reading discs. A few google searches led me to a simple fix which was rebulding the nand with disable fcrt.bin check.

I actually have 2 rgh console and I did everything same on them. They both worked well for a few days but one day both consoles shuted down randomly with a beep on aftter another (Yes, exactly on the same day in a diff of 15 mins). I am not sure it was temps or what but one never repeated it and still works fine, but the other did the same thing 2 or 3 times again the same day and the next day but not in last 5-7 days.

But, the same console started having issues with the boot times now. It is very random, 5 - 15 secs, 15 mins, 30 mins or sometimes doesnt even start in 2 hours. The RGH chip installed is CoolRunner (not sure of the revision but it has Corona printed on it.

Please help on how can i fix this.

Last edited:

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2010
Colne, Lancashire (UK)
This issue is caused by one of two things - wiring (signal too short / long, specifically on POST_OUT and CPU_RST) or the timing file written to the chip.

Each console has it's own "sweet spot" which is why the configuration differs slightly between consoles.

Can you tell us if XeLL boots fine on the console if you power it on using the eject button?

Please post photos of the glitch chip and wiring please.

EnDLesS

Noob Account
Jul 22, 2020
India
Botting to XELL is same, earlier it has mostly been instant, since issue has started, it may take 5 or 15 mins or may not boot forever. Just for reference, below is a photo of xell screen i took today morning once it booted after 15 mins.

Also, about the wiring and timing file, I read that in other threads also but mostly were on new installations. What I actually failed to understand was that how can that be the issue in a system that has been working fine from so many months. I shall anyways send the chip and wiring photo at night as I need to take it apart again :cry:

Last edited:

playingmax

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Botting to XELL is same, earlier it has mostly been instant, since issue has started, it may take 5 or 15 mins or may not boot forever. Just for reference, below is a photo of xell screen i took today morning once it booted after 15 mins.

Also, about the wiring and timing file, I read that in other threads also but mostly were on new installations. What I actually failed to understand was that how can that be the issue in a system that has been working fine from so many months. I shall anyways send the chip and wiring photo at night as I need to take it apart again :cry:
did you make any changes to the console? install hdd, wire controller? any lil change could efect the boot times.

jligg

VIP Member
Mar 16, 2011
Cincinnati Ohio
I've seen this a few times on consoles that been rgh for a good while that customers have sent me. A quick swap with an Ace chip and SRGH timing file always fixed it right up.

EnDLesS

Noob Account
Jul 22, 2020
India
did you make any changes to the console? install hdd, wire controller? any lil change could efect the boot times.
Not even a single change in the 360. It just started happening one day.
I've seen this a few times on consoles that been rgh for a good while that customers have sent me. A quick swap with an Ace chip and SRGH timing file always fixed it right up.
That was my first thought too but replacing the chip will require some professional knowledge I believe. Other than soldering, I currently have no knowledge on the same. Also, just in case any special tools or connectors are required, I don't have them. Going to a professional also is a bit of trouble right now. Please suggest what you think is best here.
Please find below the installation photos.

Last edited:

jligg

VIP Member
Mar 16, 2011
Cincinnati Ohio
Everything is wrong. All wires are way to long, chip and soldering look absolutely terrible. Where are u located? I could fix this up for u. It should look like this

Last edited:

playingmax

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Everything is wrong. All wires are way to long, chip and soldering look absolutely terrible. Where are u located? I could fix this up for u. It should look like this

as @jligg said wires r way tooooo long, soldering looks bad. the 3v3 point doesnt look like its making good contact.

EnDLesS

Noob Account
Jul 22, 2020
India
Thanks but I live in India and doubt you can help me here. Btw, the chip installation was done by some professional who does this all day for living. I can fix the soldering and the wire part but if this also requires reprogramming the chip that it would a deal breaker. Also, fixing wires or the soldering is not a problem but if this is wrong, how it has been working perfectly from so long in the first place ?

Also, something strange happened yesterday, while I have been looking for an alternate solution and read in some thread here only that turning the switch to phat helps in improving the timings. I tried and it did not work. But surprisingly, after turning the switch to slim, the console is able to boot in around 65-70 seconds 9/10 times. I did nothing else to the console.

Please let me know, if I should go ahead and cut short the wires, because once I cut them, its gone. I dont have spare wires.

Thanks in advance

jligg

VIP Member
Mar 16, 2011
Cincinnati Ohio
I almost wouldn't mess with it then, if you are able to get it to boot. Cutting the wires down could require you to have to use a different timing file. If you are not able to program the chip, no extra wires, ect then I would leave it alone. The only thing you could really do is clean up the solder joints with flux and fresh solder.

EnDLesS

Noob Account
Jul 22, 2020
India
Sure, I'll try doing that. Also, is there a simple way to convert into retail without the need of jr programmer? I am actually thinking of selling it out as a retail and buy another properly working jtag.

Also, my both 360 randomly shuts off with a beep just like someone pressed the power button. What could be the problem? Both console start and stop doing that around same time. This is something that is driving me nuts.

jligg

VIP Member
Mar 16, 2011
Cincinnati Ohio
Sure, I'll try doing that. Also, is there a simple way to convert into retail without the need of jr programmer? I am actually thinking of selling it out as a retail and buy another properly working jtag
If u have the original nand dump u can put it on a fat32 USB stick and boot xell. Xell will write the nand to the console. Then just desolder the chip.

Also, my both 360 randomly shuts off with a beep just like someone pressed the power button. What could be the problem? Both console start and stop doing that around same time. This is something that is driving me nuts.
I wouldn't know what to do with this without the console in front of me to diagnose the issue.