XBOX ONE - How To Install A Bigger Hard Drive !

jweb6102

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2014
wigan uk
congrats on getting your space but just as a precaution i would suggest you do a full reset (reset deleting all accounts and game storage) just to make sure you still end up with your 3.5gb of space or an error code. if the latter then back to the drawing board i have successfully done it on mine but i have a 3.5 inch drive modded into my console so a little different to yours.

Tidder

Noob Account
Nov 11, 2017
I'll give it a go when I get home. When I first plugged it in, I had apparently triggered a reset (by a previous failed drive swap attempt) but the one that doesn't wipe the game store. That completed successfully, but I'll try a full reset as well.

Thanks for the tip, no idea what to test. Games launch fine so far, I have a little over a TB of games saved on it so far. Things are looking good.... so far. :D

Thantelius

Noob Account
Nov 20, 2017
YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!

This is the perfect recipe for a success HDD Upgrade.

THANK YOU!!!

Just upgrade my XB1 from the stock 1TB HDD to 2TB SSHD. Not as straight forward as I expected. However, great success at the end.

I use the Windows script to format the SSHD. And create the folder A and B as per the guide. That's was the easy part.

Open up the console is a bit harder than I expect, but few youtube videos help. And able to open it without damaging anything.

Swap the new SSHD in. The machine boot at the 1st time without any error code. However, I didn't expect the XB1 actually still "remember" my user profile, apps installed, etc. Of course, all profiles / apps won't work because the actual data is not in the new SSHD.

So, I perform the system update via the USB stick, and thing start to go wrong. I don't know that I download the outdated OSU1. After the system update. I expect the XB1 can go back to the initial state, but it's not. Still the same, able to boot, with all the old unusable profile / data.

So, I decide to give it a reset. Yes, I know I should not do this, because it will re-format the SSHD, however, what I want to achieve is just bring the XB1 back to live.

After choosing "reset but keep user data", the XB1 reboot and give me the error E20X. So, I choose full reset in the diagnosis manual. Again, the machine boot with another error E20X code. I screwed up at this point.

So, I took the SSHD out, put it back into the computer. That shows the SSHD was re-formated to 500GB (as expected).

Try the same steps to format the SSHD and put it back in again and again, always shows error, unable to boot with all E101, E102, E203, E205 E206.... and always re-formated to 500GB standard (even though I didn't choose 'reset" again, what I suspect is that the XB1 was stuck at the "reseting" process, so, until I can get out the loop. It just re-format my SSHD and then shows error due to unable to boot).

Even though my XB1 is a 1TB version. I decide to dig out a 500GB HDD, and give it a try (because it keep re-formating my SSHD base on the 500GB standard). When I formating the 500GB HDD, I kept playing my iPhone. Eventually, I completely forget to create those folder A and B...

After I made that "clean" but correctly formatted HDD, I put that into the XB1 straight away, plug in a USB drive that with the most up to date OSU1, and plug in the ethernet cable as well. Held down both buttons and tap the power button, keep held down the 2 buttons until the system upgrade start. What a surprise, with this unintentional "clean" HDD and intentionally plugged in the ethernet cable. I manage the bring the XB1 back to it's initial state. Everything is fixed!

Since there is no more "ghost" data / error in the XB1. I try the upgrade again. I use the Windows script to format the 2TB SSHD again, but intentionally keep it clean this time, no folder A, no folder B, simply nothing. Swap that into the XB1, plugin the USB drive, plugin the ethernet cable. Held the buttons to start, force it to update again. And this time work!

After the update completed, my XB1 boot with the initial welcome screen. I can follow the initial setup step to login my original accounts. 1.7TB space avail. After downloaded the games back and run them once, the save will automatically download from the server.

The whole process including trouble shooting cost me about 7hr. By considering the difficulties and satisfactory result. Very happy in the end. May be I pick there wrong timing to do this, because when I upgrading the HDD, MS just release the new system update. I really have no idea if that cause me the error, or helping me to fix all the errors. But anyway, now the XB1 is more responsive, clearly load faster, and have much more space.

For those who try to upgrade. I will suggest you do the following.

1) Make sure your XB1 is connected to the internet and all saves are synced to the server.

2) Sign out and remove all your profiles.

3) Perform full reset before you actual start the upgrade.

4) Shut down the XB1 once it finish the reset and show you the initial screen.

5) Prepare the new HDD, however, no need to make folder A or B, no need to copy anything to the HDD. Just run the script, let it finish the format, and then eject the HDD straight away.

6) Prepare the USB drive with the most up to date OSU1 (or the correct OSU for your machine). The easiest way to get the correct OSU is from this page (
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/system-updates-solution). Go there, select the "update offline" option -> your xbox model -> tick. Then the page will give you the 100% correct OSU1 link.

7) Install the new HDD

8) plugin the USB drive AND ethernet cable

9) force the XB1 to update via USB drive by holding the 2 buttons and then tap the power button (keep holding the 2 buttons until update start).

After these 9 steps. The XB1 should boot like a new machine with the upgraded HDD. Yes, I know re-downloading everything is not fun. However, compare to deal with those error. I prefer to keep everything clean, and error free.

Update 1: After 3 days of testing. I must admit my 2TB SSHD doesn't work as expected. I haven't try the clone method yet. It seems only the HDD that can survive from the factory reset can run flawlessly.

If I put in a 500GB HDD (non stock), it can perform factory reset, and then the XB1 work as expected. After multiple HDD swap and OS update.If I put the original HDD back in, it will show error on start up. But after a force OS update and a factory reset, the stock 1TB HDD can function as expected (full 1TB avail).

However, even I managed to boot with my 2TB SSHD, sign in, download games, play the game. At some stage, error will suddenly pop up, and no more games / apps can be open. User data cannot sync with server. And the XB1 basically can't do anything. If I perform a factory reset, not just only 500GB of 2TB will be used, but also follow by a start error, and unable to perform a forced OS update.

My console is the 1TB CoD AW special edition. Not sure if this model make any difference on 3rd party HDD support. What suprise me is that a factory reset will format the 2TB SSHD to a 500GB one, but not 1TB. However, if I put a 1TB HDD in, it will be correctly formatted.

Update 2: Try the Linux method, do exactly as per the readme step (or those good detailed youtube videos). The 2TB SSHD will shows E105 on startup. I do the HDD upgrade after the factory reset. So, no data in the XB, and no data required from the original HDD. 2TB just doesn't work for me. Or simply because I pick the wrong SSHD that's not supported (Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD)?

Adm_SkyWalker

Noob Account
Feb 15, 2014
congrats on getting your space but just as a precaution i would suggest you do a full reset (reset deleting all accounts and game storage) just to make sure you still end up with your 3.5gb of space or an error code. if the latter then back to the drawing board i have successfully done it on mine but i have a 3.5 inch drive modded into my console so a little different to yours.
How did you format your drive? This black Friday i managed to get a 4TB SSD (crazy, I know) and I wanted to pop it in my X. I use the windows script and the only option is to format the whole drive rather than a set size. But then as you know I would risk not be able to reset the Xbox.

jweb6102

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2014
wigan uk
How did you format your drive? This black Friday i managed to get a 4TB SSD (crazy, I know) and I wanted to pop it in my X. I use the windows script and the only option is to format the whole drive rather than a set size. But then as you know I would risk not be able to reset the Xbox.
you have to format the whole drive using the latest win version of scripts for drives bigger than 2tb. for a 4tb you will have about 3.5gb of space and resets work fine if done correctly

peter0123

Noob Account
Dec 20, 2017
you have to format the whole drive using the latest win version of scripts for drives bigger than 2tb. for a 4tb you will have about 3.5gb of space and resets work fine if done correctly
Please help me.. I found not the version with that a 4tb hdd format is possible. I know a tutorial for reset etc is with the script. But i found only old onces.

Viper187

Apr 30, 2015
I'm curious if anyone's thought to convert the internal to an external (eSATA?) so you only ever have to open the console once. That way if you use an SSD or whatever and it sh*ts the bed you can replace it much easier. Plus, the drive and console would stay a little cooler. I'm getting an XB1X, and I haven't decided if I want to open it or not. I build my own computers, but I really have no patience for this sh*t. I broke a PS2 once cause I took it apart and couldn't get it back together. lol

Last edited:

bnbsfsd

Noob Account
Jul 12, 2012
I've a question in regards to xbox 1 x, my hdd failed and would like to know how I can go about replacing the drive. Do I use the same script or can I clone the xbox 1s or what would be the best step. Ty for your input.

nofeloniesyet

VIP Member
Jan 16, 2011
Nowhere
I've a question in regards to xbox 1 x, my hdd failed and would like to know how I can go about replacing the drive. Do I use the same script or can I clone the xbox 1s or what would be the best step. Ty for your input.
same script works fine,dont use a clone from xbox one s,not sure if it would work at all,or if it did you would at very least lose the xbox one x boot animation.

Santa2512

Noob Account
Jul 17, 2019
UK
Hi all,

1st post and it's a typical Noob question,

My one x is in its dying throes, it started throwing up E105 errors and after a couple or resets and reinstall's progessed to USB installs of the OS

Now its either E105 or E102 errors - its slow and glitchy and some menu options get cranky.

Its a bit of catch 22 I cant sell it as it wont boot, to get an MS refurb is £200+ and even then i would only get £160 ish as a trade in

so ive got to spend money to loose money.

So ive aquired a new 1TB hard drive, and want to fit that (like for like)

Now this is where it gets confusing , i see you can use Linux or windows to format the drive -

That i understand ( i'll prolly use windows) but it mentions running scripts etc. all based around a 500GB drive

Ive got a 1TB so abviously the partition sizes will be diffferent, now i cant guarantee the original drive will be in a readable condition,

So how would i proceed? i have the OU1 files downloaded from MS and i have recovered the drive a few times is it just a matter of transferring them to the new drive

or have i missed something

:)

Santa2512

Noob Account
Jul 17, 2019
UK
After purchasing a new drive and using the Linux method, it achieved nothing, still back to an E102 error.

I recheked the origina drive, and corrected a format / partition error. Howeve i was unable to copy the startup files accross I could do A but it kept saying folder B was full.

I just reasemmbled it and powered on with the USB recovery - it ran to 100 % and reinstalled everything ;) well allmost ...

I told it not to restore the could based profile and set it up manually..

The only thing i dont get now is the one x atartup animation and the xbox green screen.

I just get a black screen and then it welcomes me in to the dashboard...

A small price to pay if its all working .

One thing i have noted. the linked OSU1 file is for the X box 1 The X box one X has loads more files in its USB recovery package