RGH Xbox triniy turns on when click the ? or read nand

dumman59

Jul 11, 2017
So I plug in my Trinity board and plug in my nand-x to the PC and the console. Then I press the ? or read and and the console turns on. I unplugged it and tried to boot it and it works. This is my 3rd Trinity board and it has happened to all of them. This also happened when I used my Jr programer v2. Not sure why this is happening. My soldering is good. Can anyone help?

Joo C

VIP Member
Dec 2, 2011
South Africa
I experienced this once (out of more than 1000 rgh mods) - I doubt very much that all 3 Trinity boards could have the same issue which seemed to be related to the Southbridge in my case. Pics as per Mikaz's request please

gavin_darkglide

VIP Member
Dec 14, 2012
I have seen much worse soldering that worked, so I dont think that is the problem here. That being said, I have no idea what might be causing the console to boot when you try to read the nand. Have you tried it without the ROL board connected? It probably wont make a difference, but it is always worth a try.

dumman59

Jul 11, 2017
Would this be the case for the other two Trinity boards I had? If the southbridge is the issue, do I need to reflow it. It is also an interesting case. Currently the Xbox is not powering on when I plugged it in but it may the next time. I also have another Xbox that makes noise when you press the power button but does not turn on. Would this be a southbridge issue?

gavin_darkglide

VIP Member
Dec 14, 2012
The one that only makes noise could be a reflow/bad chip issue, but it could also be a corrupted nand issue. The sound chip is seperate from the actual xbox board, and doesnt interact with it other than the fact it is attached to the buttons like the southbridge is. The SMC image is loaded by the southbridge from ram, unless it cant find it, in which case there is a failsafe in the southbridge that will allow spi read/write to flash an image to the nand. Then when south bridge is reset, it will load the new image from nand, and act normally. This is speculation, as I have no idea what the deal is with the console, but ran into this with a corrupted nand write on a couple of consoles.

john mathews

VIP Member
Jan 3, 2014
peoria illinois
The one that only makes noise could be a reflow/bad chip issue, but it could also be a corrupted nand issue. The sound chip is seperate from the actual xbox board, and doesnt interact with it other than the fact it is attached to the buttons like the southbridge is. The SMC image is loaded by the southbridge from ram, unless it cant find it, in which case there is a failsafe in the southbridge that will allow spi read/write to flash an image to the nand. Then when south bridge is reset, it will load the new image from nand, and act normally. This is speculation, as I have no idea what the deal is with the console, but ran into this with a corrupted nand write on a couple of consoles.
i should of said retail as long as it never been rghed or nand messed with.

dumman59

Jul 11, 2017
Thanks everyone for the great info. I'm confused about the first Xbox. I just came home and tried to start it and it had same issue as the second Xbox. I unplugged it and waited a few minutes then tried to turn it on and it worked. The second Xbox turned on during a nand flash, so I assume the it needs to be replaced or southbridge replaced.

dumman59

Jul 11, 2017
I got the stock nand flashed to the Xbox that was not working at all and it now works. I will do further testing because it seems to start when plugged in. The Xbox I originally posted about boots but when I unplug the power cord it stops working and still beeps when press power button. It will work after I leave it unplugged for awhile and will work fine until I unplug it.