XBox Will Not Turn On, Does Everything Else Fine, Worked Previously, Please Help

jdoe91011

VIP Member
Nov 18, 2013
Hi Guys,

I wasn't sure where to post this, but the RJTAG forum is somewhat applicable.

First, I am not new to this stuff, I have successfully completed 2 Proto V2 installs, 2 RJTAG installs, and 2 Demon installs.

About a week ago I finished installing a DemoN and an RJTAG into my 16MB Jasper. The console was working perfectly, glitching in 1-2 cycles, booting on the retail NAND and the hacked NAND, no issues. I used it everyday for over a week.

Yesterday, I decided to install the Sonus 360 kit before I closed the console up and moved on to my next Xbox project. I got the Sonus kit all wired in, and it was making the power sound when I pressed the button on the RF board, and the eject sound when I pressed the eject button on the motherboard. I soldered a new LED onto my RF board to use for the "glitch" light and soldered the wire for this light to the ROL pad on my RJTAG chip along with the orange wire for the glitch sound for the Sonus 360.

While I had the console down to its Motherboard, I decided to swap out the GPU heatsink for one with the pipe attachment since I had an extra one lying around, and I figured this would cause the Jasper to run a bit cooler and thus, quieter. So I removed the old heat sink, replaced the thermal paste (as I've done on my two Slims, no problem), and attached the "pipe" GPU heatsink.

Finally, I swapped out the LED's in my Talismoon Legacy Whisper fan for Red ones. This is probably needless info, but I want to state everything I did, so maybe I can help narrow down what my current issue is.

NOW TO THE POINT: When I finished all the above work, I put the Xbox back together and hooked it up to my TV to test everything. Upon doing this, the Xbox made the power sound when I pressed the button on the RF board, but it did not start up.....nothing. When I pressed the eject button, it made the eject sound.....but that's it. I figured the Sonus was causing problems so I completely de-soldered it, one wire at a time, while trying to boot the console in between removing each wire, it never booted.

I tried booting the Jasper with 3 different RF boards, 2 different power supplies, different DVD powere and SATA cables, and I checked all the ports for anything that could be causing a short....the console still will not boot.

Neither the hacked NAND or the Retail NAND will boot.

Finally, the Jasper is acting completely normal in every other regard: with the power supply plugged in, the light is on on the RJTAG chip, the 2 blue lights are on on the DemoN USB board outside the console, I can read the stock NAND in JRUNNER, and I can write a hacked Xebuild image to the DemoN NAND (which i did). Also, I can still switch NAND's with the DemoN USB board outside the console, I can still switch NAND's by holding the Sync button on the console, and I can toggle NAND's in JRUNNER. As I said, the console acts perfectly fine, as it did before I installed the Sonus, changed the heat sink, and the LED's in the fan....it just will not boot.

I feel like there is a short somewhere, but I have looked at every square inch of this board multiple times, and I can not see anything. Could I have damaged something by wiring both the Sonus glitch wire and the LED glitch wire to the ROL pad on the RJTAG board?

I have included a lot of pictures and as much info as I can in hopes that you guys may be able to help me resolve this issue. It seems like it may be something very specific, based on the how the console is acting.

I took the GPU heatsink off for these pictures, thinking may be there is visible damage from when I replaced it, but I don't see anything.

I really want to get this fixed, I was really enjoying this hacked dual NAND console before it stopped working yesterday, and I would really like to get it back.

I will be monitoring this post, and will be happy to answer any questions or provide more info if needed,

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated,

Thank you

Last edited:

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
You've not included any images of the DemoN. This is the most likely area of concern. Test for continuity between the DemoN QSB and the Console's NAND.

jdoe91011

VIP Member
Nov 18, 2013
You've not included any images of the DemoN. This is the most likely area of concern. Test for continuity between the DemoN QSB and the Console's NAND.
I took the pictures of the DemoN the same time I took the previous pictures, but there is a 20 image upload limit per post, and I didn't want to double post before I got a reply.

Here they are:

I'll check the continuity between the DemoN QSB and the console NAND right now.

Martin, I was hoping you would get on this thread, thanks for the help :)

Last edited:

jdoe91011

VIP Member
Nov 18, 2013
Ok, so I checked continuity on the solder points from the DemoN QSB to the console NAND on the side closest to the DemoN power wire on the QSB. I'm not sure how to check continuity on the other solder points on the DemoN QSB (the points closer to the front of the console on the QSB), excuse my ignorance there.

I got continuity on all the points. However, while testing this, I noticed there is no resistor at the R2D2 point on the motherboard, near the NAND. There is a trace leading from this point to the NAND. There are just two little squares of what looks like the motherboard copper, where it looks like there should be a resistor; there isn't even solder on these points. Is this how it is supposed to be? I doesn't seem like it, (please see attached picture)

I referred to this point on another Jasper motherboard I have, and although there is no resistor, there is at least what looks like solder on these points, granted this motherboard has a Samsung NAND, so I suppose parts of it may be a little different.

Either way, am I missing a resistor or anything at this R2D2 point on my motherboard?

View attachment 25056

jdoe91011

VIP Member
Nov 18, 2013
Did you check the continuity for all these points, that resistor is not normally there so your ok.

As you will see in the pic this has no resistor at that point.

View attachment 25057
Ok, I have continuity at all the points from the DemoN QSB to the console NAND, from the picture you attached.

Oddly enough, I read continuity from the point at the red line on the bottom half of the NAND in the picture to the point on the DemoN QSB that I didn't have to solder because there was no pad on the motherboard to solder to. I put one end of the multimeter in the empty space on the QSB and one end on the last corresponding leg of the console NAND according to the picture and the multimeter read continuity, does that make sense?

Either way, I have continuity at all points from the DemoN QSB to the console NAND, and all the wires attached to the DemoN as well.

jdoe91011

VIP Member
Nov 18, 2013
And you can definately read AND write to both nands ??

Yesterday, when this problem first arose, I hooked the console up to my PC via the DemoN USB board, and in JRunner, I read the stock NAND, no problem. I then built a new Xebuild image, and wrote that to the DemoN NAND, think maybe the Flash had been corrupted or something; I was trying everything I could think of.

So, with that being said, I know I can read the stock NAND, and I know I can write to the DemoN NAND. I have never written to the stock NAND on this console before, as when I do installs, I don't like to touch it if I don't have to.

Also, I would like to add, when I had the Sonus attached, it was making the startup sound when I hit the power button on the RF board, and the eject sound when I hit the eject button, so there is something being recognized when I hit these buttons, just the console is not even making an attempt to do anything other than that.

Does this info help narrow down an possibilities as to what it could be?

Is it seeming like a NAND issue to you?

jdoe91011

VIP Member
Nov 18, 2013
Did you also check to ensure you have no shorts or bridges between points which shouldn't be joined?
I've looked at all the solder points multiple times, checking for shorts and bridges, and I see none.

Martin, you seem to know a lot about the inner workings and processes of these machines. Do you know what happens once the power button or eject button is pushed? where does that signal go in order to start the startup process? is it possible I have fried a physical component that starts this cycle. The console won't boot with either the eject button or the power button, which are on opposite sides of the board. However, they made sounds with the Sonus when I pressed them, so the console is recognizing that I'm pressing the buttons, but whatever is supposed to happen next, just isn't. As you can see, the motherboard has power running through it, it just isn't doing anything with it.

Utmad

VIP Member
Aug 15, 2010
Southampton, UK
As Martin says it all seems to be pointing at the Demon as it seems that the console is not seeing either nand when attempting to boot hence looking at the Demon for the problem. This is normally the issue if you are just getting the sounds but no boot with a Demon. You sure there are no shorts by checking continuity between adjacent points.

Last edited:

jdoe91011

VIP Member
Nov 18, 2013
As Martin says it all seems to be pointing at the Demon as it seems that the console is not seeing either nand when attempting to boot hence looking at the Demon for the problem. This is normally the issue if you are just getting the sounds but no boot with a Demon. You sure there are no shorts by checking continuity between adjacent points.

Ok, it seems I should disconnect the DemoN and see if the console boots as a normal retail Xbox. Would disconnecting the 5 volt power cable from the DemoN be sufficient to do this? If the console boots off the stock NanD with the RJTAG and DemoN deactivated, then I guess I could narrow it down to the DemoN.

Would I need to disconnect/desolder anything else in order to deactivate the DemoN to test this? Could it stay on the board with just the power disconnected?

I will test for continuity between adjacent points on the DemoN, using a multimeter, before doing anything else though, like you guys suggested.

Last edited:

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com

gavin_darkglide

VIP Member
Dec 14, 2012
Check the resistor value for the eject wire from the sonus. I had a retail console I put a sonus in, and the heat from my iron burnt out the resistor, and until I replaced it, the console would not boot. Now, instead of wireing to that resistor, I run the wire under the board, directly to the eject button.

Reactions: jdoe91011

crazed-cracker

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2011
OR
If it powers on without the case put together but does not with it all together make sure you put electrical tape between the demon and metal cage to prevent a short.

jdoe91011

VIP Member
Nov 18, 2013
If it powers on without the case put together but does not with it all together make sure you put electrical tape between the demon and metal cage to prevent a short.
The motherboard doesn't power on in the cage or out of it. Either way, I always put electrical tape between the DemoN and the cage when I do these installs, as it just seems like good practice.

jdoe91011

VIP Member
Nov 18, 2013
Check the resistor value for the eject wire from the sonus. I had a retail console I put a sonus in, and the heat from my iron burnt out the resistor, and until I replaced it, the console would not boot. Now, instead of wireing to that resistor, I run the wire under the board, directly to the eject button.
It's funny you should mention this, it actually occurred to me that this resistor could be the issue when I first started having problems a couple days ago, but I forgot about it and never pursued that line of troubleshooting. I had a little bit of trouble with this solder point when I was installing the Sonus eject wire, and maybe I burned out the resistor as you suggested. I have a feeling this is the source of my issues.

I am going to test the value of this resistor right now. Does anyone know what resistance value it is supposed to be?

I have attached a picture from the Sonus install guide for reference to the resistor in question.

Thank You

View attachment 25070

jdoe91011

VIP Member
Nov 18, 2013
Ok, the resistance value on the R1G3 resistor leading to the eject button reads as 14.5 M ohm. What does this indicate? I'm a little new to this aspect of troubleshooting, so bear with me. Does this indicate that the resistor is bad/blown? or is this an expected value for this particular resistor?

I'm still trying to troubleshoot why my console is not booting, and would like to either identify or rule out this resistor as the problem.