.xci VS .nsp

Tainted

Noob Account
Aug 6, 2019
None
hey... So... Searching these terms on this site says the words are too short in order for a search to be processed. That's even when I put the entire, ".xci VS .nsp" in the search field.

So... Which is best? I see .nsp on google search results more often, yet on this site, .xci seems to be the thing.

Are there any pros and cons to the file formats? I want to backup my purchases, and would like to know what the differences I should consider are.

RSJon

Dec 1, 2018
XCI isn't mentioned as often as sxos is the only one that supports their use.

There isn't much difference between them but how they're loaded.

XCI works like a game cart, has to be mounted first.
NSP works as an eshop install.

Reactions: Tainted

Victorb9

Feb 8, 2019
UAE
The thing about xci files that it can have all the game stuff in a single file. Game, updates, dlc. While nsp can be only one for file, so 3 separate files.

Functionally only difference is xci files don’t requires installation like nsp. But you can install xci if you want, it will be displayed in main menu just like nsp.

imprezgc8

Majora's Mask
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
The thing about xci files that it can have all the game stuff in a single file. Game, updates, dlc. While nsp can be only one for file, so 3 separate files.

Functionally only difference is xci files don’t requires installation like nsp. But you can install xci if you want, it will be displayed in main menu just like nsp.
I believe it needs to stay under 32gb though since that's the limit of carts. Not sure if that's changed recently though.

Tainted

Noob Account
Aug 6, 2019
None
Thank you all for the responses. It helped out a lot. @Victorb9 to clarify a little, lets say I convert my BotW into an .xci file, can that be one file WITH all the dlc included in that one file as if it were one full game? If I can start the game like an eShop purchased game (without having to remove a physical game cart) that would be sweet!

Also, where do I get the file program to backup my eShop games for SX Pro? The link in the manual is broken, and just 404's.

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Top Poster Of Month
Dec 2, 2010
The key point of xci is to include your game cart's certs making it appear as though you have inserted your actual game cartridge.

Installing nsps is very messy. It works but 100% fully expect a ban from installing them. There are some nsps floating around out there with incorrect headers even.

XCI is so much cleaner and the recommended way to run your game backups. Also an exclusive feature of SX OS.

Check the resources section for downloads. SX installer can dump your eshop titles. These will be .nsps.

Tainted

Noob Account
Aug 6, 2019
None
The key point of xci is to include your game cart's certs making it appear as though you have inserted your actual game cartridge.
Installing nsps is very messy. It works but 100% fully expect a ban from installing them. There are some nsps floating around out there with incorrect headers even.
XCI is so much cleaner and the recommended way to run your game backups. Also an exclusive feature of SX OS.
Check the resources section for downloads. SX installer can dump your eshop titles. These will be .nsps.
I'm not worried of being banned, as I am deleting my nintendo accounts, and not going online after deletion. It's just that if I delete my nintendo accounts, they take my purchases away without refunding, and I don't want to lose what I've already paid for. After I delete the accounts, I will only purchase Physical Full-Cart games. The only nsps I will have are the ones I actually own.

I'm going to get SX Installer (I thought it was native within SX Pro) and try it out. Thank you for clearing up that SX Installer can get done what I would like to get done, back up my eShop purchases.

Curious, if you can: Does loading an .xci require the physical game port to be empty?

Thanks Game_Over

RSJon

Dec 1, 2018
probably would recommend making an emunand copy of your system nand and only doing homebrew on your emunand with services offline.

It's not a guaranteed no ban, but it's far less likely.