XCIs not loading

izmeeimer

Noob Account
Nov 6, 2018
Hey there,

im having issues loading XCI files into my Switch. I installed SX through the Pro Version (Dongle) and booted into the CFW where Homebrew runs without any issues (versions 1.9 & 2.0.1).
Now opening up a xci file from the root of my MircoSD Card fails with the error "The game card could not be read. Please remove and reinsert it". There's no real game card in the designated slot.
I copied an XCI file smaller than 4GB because my SD is formatted with FAT32 and only has 16GB. I repeated this multiple times to prevent corrupt files but still facing the same issue.

I even tried running the following command (replacing SDCARD with the name of my volume) because I set up my SD Card using Mac OSX:
sudo chflags -R arch /Volumes/SDCARD#

Switch Firmware: 4.0.1
MicroSD: FAT32, 16GB
SX OS: 1.9, 2.0.1

Thanks for help in advance,
Greets

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Top Poster Of Month
Dec 2, 2010
Reactions: izmeeimer

izmeeimer

Noob Account
Nov 6, 2018
So you think the SD Card format might be the issue? Problem is you can't format a 16GB card into exFAT format afaik. A solution therefore might be buying a new and bigger SD Card, format that into exFAT, update the switch and repeat it?

Velvet

Nov 9, 2018
So you think the SD Card format might be the issue? Problem is you can't format a 16GB card into exFAT format afaik. A solution therefore might be buying a new and bigger SD Card, format that into exFAT, update the switch and repeat it?
Correct. You can't just format any SD card into exFAT format, it needs to be of at least 64GB in order to do it, else you can only format on FAT32. I don't see this recommendation anywhere on this forum and it's really important to know. Before trying with other SD card, make sure yours is properly formated (FAT32 in your case), and be sure you have all the needed files inside *your license and the SX OS*. Check if it works *loads* okay. If yes, than you can try splitting .xci *games* files that are over 4GB. I use XCI-Cutter, this program splits files over 4GB into lesser sized files.

If you want exFAT support on your console, and don't want to be splitting files, then you can follow this guide that also serves for the purpose of enabling exFAT support on a console (It's for both banned/unbanned consoles):

https://team-xecuter.com/forums/threads/154987-How-to-Update-Firmware-on-a-Banned-Nintendo-Switch

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Top Poster Of Month
Dec 2, 2010
Correct. You can't just format any SD card into exFAT format, it needs to be of at least 64GB in order to do it, else you can only format on FAT32. I don't see this recommendation anywhere on this forum and it's really important to know. Before trying with other SD card, make sure yours is properly formated (FAT32 in your case), and be sure you have all the needed files inside *your license and the SX OS*. Check if it works *loads* okay. If yes, than you can try splitting .xci *games* files that are over 4GB. I use XCI-Cutter, this program splits files over 4GB into lesser sized files.

If you want exFAT support on your console, and don't want to be splitting files, then you can follow this guide that also serves for the purpose of enabling exFAT support on a console (It's for both banned/unbanned consoles):

https://team-xecuter.com/forums/threads/154987-How-to-Update-Firmware-on-a-Banned-Nintendo-Switch

It doesn't HAVE to be 64GB or larger to use exFAT. This is the 2nd time you have posted this in the forums. Please stop telling people this as it's not true.

unxpect3d

Noob Account
Dec 25, 2018
I have the same issue, i have 6.2 ofw and i used the latest 2.5 sxos.. some games they are reading it but some games are not (xci).. i am using 128gb exfat so quite sure that there is no problem with SD card since some games are really working currently..

games not working are xenoblade 2 botw, d3

BlueArtist92

Noob Account
May 3, 2019
VietNam
I also have the same issue, I have 8.0.1 ofw and I use the SXOS 2.7.1 beta. All xci games which are placed in the root appeared but when opening them, it shown the notify "The game card could not be read. Please remove and reinsert it".
When I tried to install the xci games, it worked. So at this moment, the only way to play games for my switch is install them whether I want it or not.
I am using 128gb exfat Micro SDXC Sandisk Ultra A1 so quite sure that there is no problem with SD card since they are really working current when installing.

Games I used: BOTW, Baynetta 1 & 2, The World End With You, Dragonball Z Fighter.

dausone

Noob Account
Jul 21, 2018
I’m also having similar issues as some folks here. I am on ofw 8.0.1, SXOS beta 2.8. SD card formatted by NSW - Micro Center 256GB Micro SDXC.

A couple games ran fine when selected, BOTW, Odyssey, but most of them gave me the SD card error. When I install the .xci, they all loaded and played fine.

My question is, what’s going on when they are being installed? Is an nsp container being created for these to load as cartridges? And when you open directly from .xci, is SXOS attempting to wrap it to play on the fly? Sorry I just got my hands on SXOS yesterday so trying to figure this out. I know that some games take a very long time to install, so there may be an issue with the way SXOS is attempting to wrap those .xci’s to play on the fly without an nsp container. It doesn’t seem to be an SD card issue in my case.

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Top Poster Of Month
Dec 2, 2010
.xci files are loaded into a virtual game cartridge slot.

When you choose to install an .xci then it will be treated as an .nsp file and installed the same way thus removing all the benefits of loading .xci games.

If you are having trouble with your .xci files please use SX Dumper to dump a new .xci file and try again.

dausone

Noob Account
Jul 21, 2018
.xci files are loaded into a virtual game cartridge slot.

When you choose to install an .xci then it will be treated as an .nsp file and installed the same way thus removing all the benefits of loading .xci games.

If you are having trouble with your .xci files please use SX Dumper to dump a new .xci file and try again.
Thanks for your feedback! Is there a way to fix the .xci files? I do not have my original cartridges with me now as I am traveling so I have no way to dump them again at the moment.

It is strange that all games work when installed (.nsp) but do not work when loaded as a virtual game cartridge (.xci). And what are the benefits of loading .xci games vs installing? I don't quite understand the difference in part because of my issue... other than the fact that it takes a long time to install games. I also see that installed games remain loaded in the main menu which is convenient as there is no need to go into the SX OS Album to go through the games. I also wonder if I am missing something here in terms of benefits?

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Top Poster Of Month
Dec 2, 2010
the benefits of using .xci is that you can keep your legit titleID as part of the XCI, so the switch only sees it as your original cart and is "less risky" for ban reasons... although, it's still a risk. The moment you install something onto the switch that didn't come from the eshop in a legitimate way, you will 100% be banned if your switch goes online.

If you don't have your original carts, then I can't help you any further.

dausone

Noob Account
Jul 21, 2018
the benefits of using .xci is that you can keep your legit titleID as part of the XCI, so the switch only sees it as your original cart and is "less risky" for ban reasons... although, it's still a risk. The moment you install something onto the switch that didn't come from the eshop in a legitimate way, you will 100% be banned if your switch goes online.

If you don't have your original carts, then I can't help you any further.
Got it. I am not interested in going online anyway so install ftw! Loading virtual carts is too buggy at least in my experience. Thanks!