Xecuter 3 Soldering Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
I've finally finished this video and currently hosting via Bittorrent.

It's 5 minutes in length and demonstrates soldering the LPC, HDD/LAN and D0 wires.

NOTE:
I've moved away from Bittorrent and uploaded it to alt.binaries.games.xbox. If you have a NZB capable newsgroup downloader (such as NewsBin etc), extract the attached file and run the NZB - there's no need to download all the headers from the full group.

Direct download mirrors:

Mirror 1 - thanks to Admiral_Ackbar6 - UP

Martin

Last edited:
Reactions: homelessflea1

Catalyst

VIP Member
Mar 16, 2005
San Antonio
Well, I admit that I was hoping for a good deal more frontal nudity nad the shower scene was poorly lighted... but other than that it was a well rounded film.... two thumbs up! :D

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Awsome job!!

speedio

Noob Account
Dec 2, 2005
very nice! thank you very much. I have never soldered before and I know this will be a great help for me when I get my chip :D
as you notice I'm a very new at all this, xbox moding and all. and new to this forum,
I have read the rules in case your wondering and I love to search forums and google is my best friend :) . funny place to have a first post :)

thanks again. loved it.

madnlooney

Noob Account
Nov 30, 2005
thats a good video and im sure it will help alot of people including myself. cheers for taking the time

wooster241

VIP Member
May 31, 2005
thanks a lot Martin. although when i do my x3ce it is a 1.6 mobo, it alowed me to see how to do it in person. ive read that you souldnt touch the solder to the iron, i couldnt tell if yours was touching but it didnt stick because of the flux i see. as for the flux, was it just a regular flux pen? thanks again

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
wooster241 said:
thanks a lot Martin. although when i do my x3ce it is a 1.6 mobo, it alowed me to see how to do it in person. ive read that you souldnt touch the solder to the iron, i couldnt tell if yours was touching but it didnt stick because of the flux i see. as for the flux, was it just a regular flux pen? thanks again
It's called a NoClean Flux pen - there are different kinds to choose from. I would avoid the rosin flux pens since they really need a flux remover for afterwards. You're just looking to clean the surface and aid solder flow.

Martin

wooster241

VIP Member
May 31, 2005
sweet thanks Martin C

MaX ReaLiTy

VIP Member
Jul 18, 2005
Utah
Nobody is seeding this so it wont download.

MaX ReaLiTy

VIP Member
Jul 18, 2005
Utah
Yeah I tired the mirror too. Its downloading now. Thanks Martin.

scoobaman

Oct 5, 2004
toronto, ont
cool thats pretty sweet..

MaX ReaLiTy

VIP Member
Jul 18, 2005
Utah
Awesome video man. I finally watched it today. The music fits perfect "I Love giving hope to you" thats how I feel like I have some hope to make it work LOL. Now if I installed a solderless chip and just want to add the HDD and LAN lights can I just solder those and connect it? Or should I solder the whole thing?

P.S. You should be a hand model for an electronics magazine.

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
Yes, if you install a solderless and want the HDD/LAN lights, then you only need to solder the two wires. You can actually cut the grey d0 if it's not needed.

Martin

MaX ReaLiTy

VIP Member
Jul 18, 2005
Utah
I've only soldered a few times on an old radio, and didnt have much luck. From your video, it looks like the best thing to do it but the solder iron on the actual connector and heat that up then touch the solder to the connector. Is that correct?

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
MaX ReaLiTy said:
I've only soldered a few times on an old radio, and didnt have much luck. From your video, it looks like the best thing to do it but the solder iron on the actual connector and heat that up then touch the solder to the connector. Is that correct?
Yes - you don't melt the solder on the iron (typically). The joint gets heated and the solder flows onto it.

A couple of times I do put the solder briefly on the iron, but that's only because I was using crap solder! My advice - buy good quality solder, that has a low melting point.

Martin

MaX ReaLiTy

VIP Member
Jul 18, 2005
Utah
One more question.. Do you have to have the flux? And what exactly does it do?

Last edited:

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
No - you don't. It just makes things a LOT easier.

Flux is a substance which aids solder flow. It's already contained in most solder you buy but in much smaller quanitiy. If you apply the solder directly to the iron, you usually burn out the flux making it very hard to do anything with it.

By applying extra, you actually make your life a lot easier as wherever the flux goes on a metallic surface, the solder will follow providing the temperature is good enough.

Martin

MaX ReaLiTy

VIP Member
Jul 18, 2005
Utah
If I mess up just soldering these two points will I just lose those functions? Or will my board be shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.