Xecuter 3 Soldering Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

drastikat

Dec 25, 2005
Martin C:

Any specific solder you would recommend so I don't end up being a sucker to the cheap stuff?

...and the flux pen, I saw in another post somewhere that you disliked a certain one...rosin maybe? Most Radio Shacks carry these, correct?

appreciate the help.

-dkat

edit: Oh, fantastic video by the way. Maybe I'll dance/solder to it.

Last edited:

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
Get a branded solder - Antec or multicore(tm) will be fine. Just don't buy their own brand stuff - the melting point is fine if you have a 50W iron, but crap for a 15-20W.

Only reason to steer clear of rosin flux is because you need a flux remover for any excess since it's pretty messy once set. Also keep away from acid flux since it will eat away at the board.

I use a 'no-clean' flux pen mostly - the 'no-clean' part gives it away!

Martin

joegeek

May 11, 2005
Salisbury, Md
I'm having a problem viewing the video. Do you have a mpg or avi version?

I've already soldered my pin header in, and it works. However, three other ppl have asked me to mod their xboxs. I'd love to watch your techniques. I used solders with rosin cores. I had a hell of a time with it. I've ordered the NoClean Flux Pen you've suggested in your posts. As I was in Business/Computer Technology rather than Electronic Arts in high school (ten years ago), I've never watched anyone solder. I've only followed text tutorials. I'd love to see this video.

tjwilly

Jan 16, 2006
I have it in WMedia format - if you have something big like gmail, I can email it to you right now. I know I got a good copy of it.

joegeek

May 11, 2005
Salisbury, Md
tnks anyway tjwilly, but I got it by d/l`n another media player.

Martin, there was only one difference between what you had done and what I did. Flux. Plain and simple, flux. By what I saw in your video, flux makes all the difference.

I'm telling you, It was like pulling teeth getting the pin header in with nice clean solder joints.

EvilShindo

Aug 6, 2005
Hey Martin, awesome video, great for an inexperienced solderer like me. At first i was bit skeptical about even touching the pinheaders and d0 part because i thought if i mess up it would seriously destroy my xbox! THANK YOU SO much for this video!

btw, is a 15watt iron good? how long should it be heated? also should you apply flux to the HD and LAN points aswell as the d0? THANKS AGIAN!

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
EvilShindo said:
Hey Martin, awesome video, great for an inexperienced solderer like me. At first i was bit skeptical about even touching the pinheaders and d0 part because i thought if i mess up it would seriously destroy my xbox! THANK YOU SO much for this video!

btw, is a 15watt iron good? how long should it be heated? also should you apply flux to the HD and LAN points aswell as the d0? THANKS AGIAN!
Thanks! A 15w iron is perfect as long as you make you you're using a low melt good quality solder. Don't buy any old crap stuff as you will find you have problems purely because the temperature won't be high enough to do the job. Leave it on for about 5 minutes and try to melt a little solder on the tip of the iron. If it takes a few seconds, then leave it for a few minutes more. If after 10 minutes it's still not melting on contact then the solder is no good.

You don't need to flux the LAN and HDD points, but if you feel it would help you there's no harm in doing so. Good luck!

Martin

EvilShindo

Aug 6, 2005
Yaaaa...

Yea, i guess i need at least a 25watt iron since it seems like my 15watt isn't doing the job. I touched the rosin core(Radioshack)solder to the 15watt soldering iron pencil(Radioshack) and it doesn't seem to instantly melt the solder like it was shown in your video. Is there any type of soldering iron/solder you would reccommend i purchase? Can you support a link if possible?

THANK YOU!

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
EvilShindo said:
Yea, i guess i need at least a 25watt iron since it seems like my 15watt isn't doing the job. I touched the rosin core(Radioshack)solder to the 15watt soldering iron pencil(Radioshack) and it doesn't seem to instantly melt the solder like it was shown in your video. Is there any type of soldering iron/solder you would reccommend i purchase? Can you support a link if possible?

THANK YOU!
I'm in the UK, so the stock will be different. Don't go buying a hotter iron because the solder's not melting. You'll need some finer solder (preferrably not lead-free) and you'll find it will do the job better. Keeping the tip clean also aids heat conductivity.

Martin

Necrophiliac

Mar 27, 2005
VA
Martin C said:
I'm in the UK, so the stock will be different. Don't go buying a hotter iron because the solder's not melting. You'll need some finer solder (preferrably not lead-free) and you'll find it will do the job better. Keeping the tip clean also aids heat conductivity.

Martin
Great video, I had a similar problem to that other person when soldering the pins though. I got a 15w soldering iron at radio shack and held it against the hole and pin at the same time. The pins never heated up enough to melt the solder. regretably i cheated and touched the solder to the tip of the solderer in order to get it to work. I had picked up some 0.032" diameter lead-free solder at Radio Shack as has been reccomended on several pinned topics on xbox-scene. Are you reccomending using solder which contains lead instead? The xbox works fine but should I go back and look for cold joints and use a desoldering braid on any that I may find?

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
Trying to find a good combination of a low wattage iron and good lead free solder is hard.

Lead solder melts at a much lower temperature - just don't go breathing in the fumes. It's always best to get an old PCB and test how your iron/solder combo fair.

Martin

Necrophiliac

Mar 27, 2005
VA
But do you personally reccomend lead-free solder over those containing lead? Does one conduct better than the other?

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
Lead-free solder is a lot less harmful than leaded solder. Both are as conductive as each other. If you manage to get a good lead-free solder then great - you'll have no problems during the soldering process. You just need to be aware that some lead-free solder doesn't melt all too well with a 15W iron. Leaded solder is becoming very rare these days as it's so dangerous - I'm not going to recommend you put your health at risk!

Martin

kennyD78

VIP Member
Aug 13, 2005
Lynchburg, Va
Yeah i got a really bad infection in my throat when i used lead solder, it really sucked ass. Just wear something, that wont let the fumes in, over your mouth, if you have lead solder.

sga_MODZ

Noob Account
Feb 13, 2006
Does anyone have this video on windows media player? I am on a limited account so I cant download torrents or anything so can someon put it up on google video or something for me?

Thanks

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
For starters, it's only 40MB in size. Secondly, I don't know of any internet accounts which prohibit the use of bittorrent software. The file you will be downloading is 100% legal - I created it and have already given permission for others to use it.

Martin

sga_MODZ

Noob Account
Feb 13, 2006
Nah, what I am saying i, it is a windows limited user account, so I cant download and install torrent clients like Azureus.

Thanks

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
A limited windows account? Sounds like a work or college PC - not really something you should be using to access this website!

Why not just download onto your own computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.