Xecuter 3 Soldering Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

covey

Noob Account
Mar 21, 2006
Is there another way to get this video? Both mirrors are down, and there are no seeders either. I would like to see it. Thanks.

covey

Noob Account
Mar 21, 2006
Got the video. Great job all the way around. I have my Xbox all torn apart, and I am waiting on my chip to arrive. Most of my soldering experience has been with battery packs, and connections in rc cars. So I was a bit timid about soldering on PCB for the first time. Seeing how you were able to stay on the board, without it melting, put my mind at ease, so I went ahead and de-soldered the LPC holes. Now I am just parked in a holding pattern til my parcel arrives. I hope the rest goes as smooth as your install did. Thanks for taking the time to help us out.

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
kylea said:
what mods can the x3 do? especially on halo2
Not the best place to be posting this question - check the X3 FAQs which should answer most of your questions.

Martin

f0rca

Noob Account
Apr 19, 2006
Hi, I just wanted to thank you Martin C for that video. I have yet to install the chip but watching this gave me alot of confidence to try it. Reading the tutorials is helpful, but some things were still unclear especially if you have no prior knowledge of soldering electronic stuff.

Could you please tell me if I got this right?
To desolder the holes for a pinheader installation in a v.1.1 xbox, I would have to add some fresh solder, then use the braidwith the iron?

Do I need to tine the wire for d0/hdd/LAN points? and to do this I would just heat the wire alittle and touch the solder to the wire?

thank you for all the help, and another thanks to everyone helping on the forums, I have learned so much just reading through this great site, and to think that a few weeks ago I barely knew what a BIOS was!:)

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
f0rca said:
Could you please tell me if I got this right?
To desolder the holes for a pinheader installation in a v.1.1 xbox, I would have to add some fresh solder, then use the braidwith the iron?

Do I need to tine the wire for d0/hdd/LAN points? and to do this I would just heat the wire alittle and touch the solder to the wire?
First off, you're welcome - I made the video to assist people who have never soldered small PCB items, so if it helped any - cool!

Desoldering is as it looks on the video. Get a no-clean flux pen (i.e a non-rosin based) and apply to the area you're working on as well as the desoldering braid. If you find the braid sticks to the solder and won't budge, don't panic - apply a little solder to the top of the braid, directly above where it's stuck (you are right in thinking this would help conductivity as it does!). It should come away effortlessly.

You don't need to tin the wires as they are pre-tinned. If you still want to, then what you described will do it.

Martin

f0rca

Noob Account
Apr 19, 2006
Got it, thanks for the extra info on desoldering. I'll keep an eye out for that flux pen.

rcw4

Noob Account
May 20, 2006
thank you for the video . . . never soldered before, but I am going to start.

Question 1: Will a 15W soldering iron do damage to the board (not intentionally) but if a rookie (such as myself) left the iron on the board not knowing in an attempt to solder the pcb?

Question 2: In your video it appears at times that you are litterally touching the board. How close to the board do you need to get in order to make a good solder joint such as you depicted in your video?

Thanks

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
1. A 15W Iron will be fine as long as the surfaces are clean and you're using good quality solder.

2. I don't get the question here! Sorry, can you rephrase it?

Martin

rp.

May 1, 2006
I would really like to see this video. It sounds very useful.

Does anyone have a rehost of the wmv file?

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
I'm seeding it now - I usually keep it seeding for those who want to take a look.

If anyone else has a copy, keeping it going would be very handy!

Martin

renslip

Noob Account
Jun 24, 2006
Hey guy's just want to say great fourm awsome answers where found here.

I was wondering if someone could seed this solder video for me as I ran into a problem soldering the lpc board on.
Xbox turns on works with the modchip off but when I turn it on with the chip enabled it turns red.
So i am thinking something happened when I soldered the lpc board. So I would like to see the video on it and hopefully it will help me solove the problem.
Thanks so much.
If you need to know I am running a 1.6b with x3ce chip

MEL&FXbox

Noob Account
Jun 26, 2006
Xecuter3 Soldering

I am impressed for the timing chosen with the Background music followed by your Video Instruction. I am only sorry to have been able to find you after three days of searching for Help in installing my newly Purchased Xecuter3 CE + Xec3CPL.
I Purchased it from MrModchip Website and I am very Disappointed in the Way he/They have handled my Order as the main Part (PINHEADER Component was Missing) though I bought it as Combo for £64.00 + P&P of £6.00 and I am very Pleased as the Actual Soldering and connecting of the Xecuter3 CE was as easy as you have made look it on the video. I bet though that you had all the Part/Component needed to complete your Installation where I had to make my Own PINHEADER (DIY PinHeader) still I have succesfully Installed it now has anyone any IDEA in where I can Doublecheck mi Connection between the Xec3 CE + Xec3CPL (Controll Pannel with pre switches and USB Connectors Attached).

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
Glad you made use of the video :)

So do you have the X3 working on your Xbox now? If so, the only connection between the X3CP and the chip is the LCD and bank select cable.

The install pictures from the Mr Modchips website are here:

http://www.mrmodchips.co.uk/catalog/images/x3cp_install.jpg

Martin

Sylvia

Dec 30, 2006
Thanks Martin C for a very useful video.

I'm thinking about installing my Xecuter 3 CE tonight. I bought my Xbox and the chip for educational purposes and I want to practise soldering and have Xbox-LAN-parties with my friends and so on. Enough about that.

I've got a 30W soldering iron and rosin cored solder.

I wonder if a flux pen o similiar are optional or should I walk to a store and grab one ???

Last edited:

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
Sorry, I'm only seeding this on request now - It's currently seeding and I'll leave it as such for the next 48 hours or so.

Flux pens are optional but will make it a lot easier..

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.