Xecuter CoolRunner - Phat Install (Wires)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubergeek

Noob Account
Feb 24, 2003
California, USA
UPDATE 11/23/2011 - SEE WIRES LAYOUT UPDATE ON BACK OF BOARD

I have made this into 1 large image so its easy to share around.

We recommend that the CoolRunner is programmed first with the correct jed/xsvf file before installation.

Use the wires that are included with the CoolRunner kit. They are cut to optimum length. Make sure the switch is set to PHAT (Yes I had to say this as you'd be surprised as to how many people would ask lol)

LED INFO:

RED LED: Power
GREEN LED: Glitch Cycles (Should flash on/off every 5 seconds)

SWITCH INFO:

The NOR/PRG switch is designed only to be used when you are programming the CoolRunner while it is installed to the Xbox. It cuts off the power line only. If you need to program while it is installed then turn the power off to the Xbox and set the switch to PRG. You can now program using LPT or USB. When the CoolRunner is installed and running, the switch should be set to NOR.

Note: Many users have damaged their NAND-X by programming the CoolRunner while it's installed to the Xbox and the switch is set to NOR and/or the Xbox power is ON. We recommend that you program the CoolRunner while it is not installed to the Xbox just so that you are 100% safe. When programming the CoolRunner as a standalone unit it doesn't matter if the switch is set to PRG or NOR.

This is how the position of the CoolRunner looks like when installed to a phat.

Here are how the bottom wires are positioned. I used a hot glue gun to make a nice neat job.

UPDATE: It has been reported that some consoles have trouble booting or boot fine but freeze frequently. One of our members, Westbox found that if he routed the wires a little differently on the back of his board he get perfect boots every time with no freezing. here is his diagram (you can see the difference from the above picture):

Troubleshooting

If you have a Big Block Jasper (256/512) and your boot times are very slow (Over 30 seconds) then we suggest you add a 68nF 100V Ceramic Capacitor across PLL_BYPASS (A) & GND like the following picture (thanks to SeanR28 for the pic - however I must suggest that the cap legs are cut as short as possible to the coolrunner - leaving them long like that will just attract noise and spoil the wave shape)

Another troubleshooting tip: Switch the CoolRunner to Slim and see if the times improved - this works for some :)

You can also try using double-shielded low interference 50ohm cable for your wiring. Some users have reported great success.

tonyg243

Noob Account
Nov 3, 2010
Scotland
Re: Xecuter CoolRunner - Phat Install (Wires Only)

Thanks uber.Looking forward to doing this when all the pieces drop through my letter-box:)

Reactions: kilroy23

Ubergeek

Noob Account
Feb 24, 2003
California, USA

So is it necessary to use QSB or are wires only enough?
I would absolutely recommend the QSB's

They have the NAND-X connection built in all-in-one, there are resistors to clean the signal and it is the most optimum install that you will probably be able to do.

However if you don't have the QSB's yet feel free to install with wires only first and get everything working. You can always upgrade to the QSB's later (which are very cheap to buy anyway)

Reactions: kilroy23
Jun 4, 2010

Its so easy but you will still be amazed by how many people will reuin something during the install :rolleyes2: .

cypher21

VIP Member
Jun 15, 2005
Netherlands

Installed one yesterday (thx k3!)
Its working like a charm

From the 20 cold boots i've done 15 booted through in the first cycle (so 1-3 seconds) a few in the 2nd or third cycle and one a bit longer.

I was too anxious to try it so didn't make much pics, but here's the chip attached and working ACE!

stargate24k

Noob Account
Nov 1, 2011
cardiff

just got mine to like 5 mins ago but am allways amazed with TX stuff there so small but powerfull lol =) just got wait for the QSB and the update cables =)

Last edited:

tr4ckerz

VIP Member
Aug 20, 2010

Thanks Uber, precisely made tutorial as always.

MANUMAN

VIP Member
Jun 11, 2011
DUBLIN

Great guide uber thanks. will you be posting a coolrunner programming guide ? just asking dont flame me please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support Our Sponsors