Xecuter CoolRunner - Slim Install (QSB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubergeek

Xecuter Groupie
Feb 24, 2003
California, USA
I have made this into 1 large image so its easy to share around.

We recommend that the CoolRunner is programmed first with the correct jed/xsvf file before installation.

Use the wires that are included with the CoolRunner kit. They are cut to optimum length. Make sure the switch is set to SLIM (if you have trouble glitching you can also try switching to PHAT too as that works on some slims)

LED INFO:

RED LED: Power
GREEN LED: Glitch Cycles (Should flash on/off every 5 seconds)

SWITCH INFO:

The NOR/PRG switch is designed only to be used when you are programming the CoolRunner while it is installed to the Xbox. It cuts off the power line only. If you need to program while it is installed then turn the power off to the Xbox and set the switch to PRG. You can now program using LPT or USB. When the CoolRunner is installed and running, the switch should be set to NOR.

Note: Many users have damaged their NAND-X by programming the CoolRunner while it's installed to the Xbox and the switch is set to NOR and/or the Xbox power is ON. We recommend that you program the CoolRunner while it is not installed to the Xbox just so that you are 100% safe. When programming the CoolRunner as a standalone unit it doesn't matter if the switch is set to PRG or NOR.

This is how the position of the CoolRunner looks like when installed to a slim.

Note: CPU_RST (D - BLUE) IS 50 CM LONG - THIS IS INTENTIONAL DO NOT CUT. SIMPLY LOOP THE WIRE LIKE SO:

TIP

A slim should not take longer than 10 seconds to boot. If it does take longer then we suggest changing the length of the CPU_RST wire. First try 40cm then 30cm and go with whatever the best results are. Only do this if you are successfully glitching to Xell reloaded. This is not meant as a fix for non booting consoles - this is boot time fix only.

or you could use the TX CoolRunner Slim POST QSB

Cut the blue wire down to 8cm and then try different length points starting at 50 and settle for whichever is your best time. If you glitch within 2-4 cycles then you should be very happy. The yellow wire goes to point 1.

Added:

Another troubleshooting tip: Switch the CoolRunner to Phat and see if the times improved - this also works on many consoles - like we tell you, different slims have different timings :)

You can also try using double-shielded low interference 50ohm cable for your wiring. Some users have reported great success.

tr4ckerz

VIP Member
Aug 20, 2010
Thanks Uber, can't wait to get QSB's, still waiting to be stocked in EU. I will definitely use this method.

<storm>

Mar 19, 2007
Portugal
the QSB looks awesome instaled, you have made a beautifull work. now to complete all this , is a tutorial made the way as the uber knows, thanks

locobrown

VIP Member
Aug 5, 2011
I just received mine today! I now have to wait for the slim QSB. I haven't dumped the NAND yet because the QSB has the adapter for both CoolRunner and NAND-X. At the moment, im gathering everything that I need for when my QSB and the update cables arrive.

Last edited:

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
Ok - see pics attached for reference.

This goes for ALL QSB installs, not just the Slim as they essentially have the same technique.

A quick fundamental to successful soldering: ALL surfaces requiring soldering MUST be both clean AND at the SAME TEMPERATURE. Dry joints occur when one of these factors is out. Therefore you must ensure this is the case.

1. (see Pic 1) Before even placing the QSB onto the motherboard, apply extra solder to each of the points you're going to be using. Why? Because the sh*tty lead-free stuff that MS use will have been added from a reflow point of view and won't be anywhere near decent enough to solder directly on to. It'll also make your life 10 times easier when soldering the QSB to the point as mentioned above, it'll be easier to get the solder to melting temperature and it'll flow nicely to the QSB.

The point circled in red is a ground point and as such will take a LOT of work to melt solder on to if you only have a 15W iron. Ideally you need a variable watt iron for soldering work, but you may need to make do with a 20-25W. DON'T press hard on any points - it won't make the solder flow any quicker or heat it up faster. you want to WET the iron with solder and LAY the tip on the point for a good 5-10 secs. You should see the solder melt into the point. At this point, feed a little more solder into it.

2. Lay the QSB over the points. Not only will you find it easier to align it (as you have domed points) but the next part will be a doddle, since the solder points will already be touching the QSB points.

3. Gently apply your soldering iron tip to the domed solder and it'll melt very nicely into the QSB touching it (providing you've done the other steps ok). No more solder is needed. It's not glue. Once it's soldered and you see it flow onto the QSB, that point is done. Move to the next one.

It should look like Pic 2. Excuse the bad image!

4. Bottom via points. This is where people ALWAYS get it wrong. You do NOT put your iron directly on the point. The trick here is to place the iron so the tip is JUST on the edge of the via and feed a little solder into the gap between the tip and the via. The solder will melt and will naturally flow into the nearest metallic point. You guessed it - the via. Once you have a nice little dome of solder on the via, get your wire and trim it to about .5mm. Seriously, you don't need any more than that.

Technique here is to place the iron tip on the very edge of the newly soldered via, JUST so it touches the solder and you see it melt. You then carefully push the tip of the wire into the solder. Done. See pic 3 for how it should look. (again, excuse the bad pic.).

That's it really. Then it's just a case of soldering pad to pad (pic 4).

In closing, I have to reply to the below:

I've removed solder points by using higher watt irons and destroyed at least two mobos,
This is due to poor technique and nothing more. The work you see in the attached pics was done with a 1mm iron tip at 420 degrees c (about 40 watt). You see any damage?

Ubergeek

Xecuter Groupie
Feb 24, 2003
California, USA

TIP

A slim should not take longer than 10 seconds to boot. If it does take longer then we suggest changing the length of the CPU_RST wire. First try 40cm then 30cm and go with whatever the best results are. Only do this if you are successfully glitching to Xell reloaded. This is not meant as a fix for non booting consoles - this is boot time fix only.

kukuku

VIP Member
Aug 30, 2011
FL
Thx for the tips!!!! just bought new xbox from target for 150!!! and CR comming tomorrow!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.