GENERAL XGD3 - MKM003 / MKM001 Settings & Burn Guide - Co-written with the author of IMGBURN

DrunkenNinja

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2011
RGH
XGD3 - MKM003 / MKM001 Settings & Burn Guide - Co-written with the author of IMGBURN

UPDATED 23/01/2012 (housekeeping removed some unnecessary information from statistics)

Added my own personal combined burn settings for both MKM001 and MKM003 media types.

Tips added for MKM001 media

See settings section
Credit for overspeed strategy goes to Noobguru and Michael2016

LIGHTNING UK MKM001 Media settings now added

This guide is an alternative for those not getting success with the standard settings and is targeted for users with MKM003 (Made in Singapore) Media, these also come in a white printable label type discs as well as conventional silver and for those wondering if their discs are made in Singapore, please be sure to read the label on the packaging before asking.

Tests were conducted by "LIGHTNING UK!" the author of IMGBURN and I have full permission to use the attached results and images.

LIGHTNING UK! You have mine and the community's thanks for your contribution to the Burning industry.

It should be stated that me and many others consider these the "Most compatible" media for XGD3 back-ups, they are also the most expensive (You get what you pay for!!) if you really want to test if your drive is faulty then this thread is a good start as you are providing it with the most favorable conditions.

TEST RESULTS

Verbatim 8x DVD+R DL [MKM-003-00] [MIS] @ 4x

25 Pack of Verbatim 8x DVD+R DL Printable - #43667 0709-20 - Supplier: 7dayshop

Media Information:

ATAPI iHAS124 B AL0S (ATAPI)
Current Profile: DVD+R DL

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Free Sectors: 4,267,040
Free Space: 8,738,897,920 bytes
Free Time: 948:15:65 (MM:SS:FF)
MID: MKM-003-00
Supported Write Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 6x, 8x

DVD±R DL Boundary Information:
L0 Data Zone Capacity: 2,133,520
Changeable: Yes

Results - 1st Attempt:

OPC: Yes
Advanced Settings - Force HT: No, Online HT: No, OverSpeed: No, SmartBurn: Yes
Average Write Rate: 5,360 KB/s (3.9x) - Maximum Write Rate: 5,695 KB/s (4.1x)
Cycling Tray before Verify...
Image File Size: 8,738,897,920 bytes
Read Speed (Data/Audio): MAX / MAX
Verifying Session 1 of 1... (1 Track, LBA: 0 - 4267039)
Verifying Track 1 of 1... (MODE1/2048, LBA: 0 - 4267039)
Verifying Layer 0... (LBA: 0 - 2133519)
Failed to Read Sectors 1804064 - 1804095 - Reason: L-EC Uncorrectable Error
Failed to Read Sector 1804080 - Reason: L-EC Uncorrectable Error
Failed to Read Sector 1804080 - Reason: L-EC Uncorrectable Error
Failed to Verify Sectors!
Average Verify Rate: 6,992 KB/s (5.0x) - Maximum Verify Rate: 10,480 KB/s (7.6x)

Scans:

Results - 2nd Attempt:

Average Write Rate: 5,357 KB/s (3.9x) - Maximum Write Rate: 5,646 KB/s (4.1x)
Verify Rate: 7,751 KB/s (5.6x) - Maximum Verify Rate: 11,279 KB/s (8.1x)

Scans - 2nd Attempt:

Results - 3rd Attempt:

Average Write Rate: 5,360 KB/s (3.9x) - Maximum Write Rate: 5,642 KB/s (4.1x)
Failed to Read Sectors 2103904 - 2103935 - Reason: L-EC Uncorrectable Error
Failed to Read Sector 2103920 - Reason: L-EC Uncorrectable Error
Failed to Read Sector 2103920 - Reason: L-EC Uncorrectable Error
Average Verify Rate: 5,977 KB/s (4.3x) - Maximum Verify Rate: 11,197 KB/s (8.1x)

Scans - 3rd Attempt:

Last edited:

DrunkenNinja

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2011
RGH
Re: XGD3 - MKM003 (MIS) Settings & Burn Guide as conducted by the author of IMGBURN

Results - 4th Attempt:

After 3 rubbish burns I decided to 'Clear OPC History', cycle the power to the drive and then try again.

Average Write Rate: 5,363 KB/s (3.9x) - Maximum Write Rate: 5,645 KB/s (4.1x)
Average Verify Rate: 7,751 KB/s (5.6x) - Maximum Verify Rate: 11,294 KB/s (8.2x)

Scans - 4th Attempt:

Results - 5th Attempt:

Average Write Rate: 5,360 KB/s (3.9x) - Maximum Write Rate: 5,647 KB/s (4.1x)
Average Verify Rate: 7,751 KB/s (5.6x) - Maximum Verify Rate: 11,278 KB/s (8.1x)

Scans - 5th Attempt:

Results - 6th Attempt:

Attempt 5 showed the burn quality was getting worse again so I did 'Clear OPC History' again and then turned off 'Perform OPC Before Write' in settings before trying a 6th disc.

OPC: No
Average Write Rate: 5,360 KB/s (3.9x) - Maximum Write Rate: 5,642 KB/s (4.1x)
Average Verify Rate: 7,751 KB/s (5.6x) - Maximum Verify Rate: 11,294 KB/s (8.2x)

Scans - 6th Attempt:

Last edited:

DrunkenNinja

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2011
RGH
Re: XGD3 - MKM003 (MIS) Settings & Burn Guide as conducted by the author of IMGBURN

Results - 7th Attempt:

Average Write Rate: 5,363 KB/s (3.9x) - Maximum Write Rate: 5,639 KB/s (4.1x)
Verifying Layer 1... (LBA: 2133520 - 4267039)
Failed to Read Sectors 2133552 - 2133583 - Reason: L-EC Uncorrectable Error
Failed to Read Sector 2133562 - Reason: L-EC Uncorrectable Error
Failed to Read Sector 2133562 - Reason: L-EC Uncorrectable Error
Average Verify Rate: 135 KB/s (0.1x) - Maximum Verify Rate: 11,262 KB/s (8.1x)

Scans - 7th Attempt:

Results - 8th Attempt:

Why can't this drive burn consistently?!

Even with OPC turned off, the 7th attempt showed things were getting worse again so I did another 'Clear OPC History'.

I decided to enable the 'Force Hypertuning' (FHT) option this time around but left 'Online Hypertuning' off.

In theory, HT and OHT are always enabled for MKM-003-00 media because MKM-003-00 has been renamed to MKM-0a3-00 in the firmware's media table. The drive always enables HT and OHT for unknown media.

By enabling FHT in the Advanced Settings and leaving OHT off, I'm effectively disabling OHT. (This is according to a post by 'Wind' (LiteOn employee) over at the MyCE forums)

Advanced Settings - Force HT: Yes, Online HT: No, OverSpeed: No, SmartBurn: Yes
Write Rate: 5,394 KB/s (3.9x) - Maximum Write Rate: 5,644 KB/s (4.1x)
Average Verify Rate: 7,751 KB/s (5.6x) - Maximum Verify Rate: 11,283 KB/s (8.1x)

Scans - 8th Attempt:

Results - 9th Attempt:

Average Write Rate: 5,397 KB/s (3.9x) - Maximum Write Rate: 5,647 KB/s (4.1x)
Average Verify Rate: 7,751 KB/s (5.6x) - Maximum Verify Rate: 11,262 KB/s (8.1x)

Scans - 9th Attempt:

Last edited:

DrunkenNinja

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2011
RGH

Results - 10th Attempt:

Average Write Rate: 5,397 KB/s (3.9x) - Maximum Write Rate: 5,651 KB/s (4.1x)
Average Verify Rate: 7,751 KB/s (5.6x) - Maximum Verify Rate: 11,289 KB/s (8.2x)

Scans - 10th Attempt:

Results - 11th Attempt:

Average Write Rate: 5,394 KB/s (3.9x) - Maximum Write Rate: 5,645 KB/s (4.1x)
Average Verify Rate: 7,751 KB/s (5.6x) - Maximum Verify Rate: 11,273 KB/s (8.1x)

Scans - 11th Attempt:

Results - 12th Attempt:

Average Write Rate: 5,391 KB/s (3.9x) - Maximum Write Rate: 5,647 KB/s (4.1x)
Average Verify Rate: 7,751 KB/s (5.6x) - Maximum Verify Rate: 11,278 KB/s (8.1x)

Scans - 12th Attempt:

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]First I want to explain a bit about the settings and what they do before we continue:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
OHT (Online Hyprer Tuning) is basically an on the fly quality check that checks for incosistancys in the burn and makes adjustments accordingly, this can extend the burning time.

SB (Smartburn) The ability to optimize current write strategies and save the results so in theory every burn should be at least as good as the last.

HT (Hyper Tuning) is when the firmware attempts to use automated write strategys (AWS), It is believed it can store upto 5 strategy for each media and will create new write strategys for unknown media.

OS (Overspeed) This allows the drive to write at a faster than recommended speeds

OPC (Optimum Power Calibration) is the calculation of the optimum output and adjusting it for writing that particular session

Clear OPC The deletion of historically learned OPC data

Don't be fooled all settings in the EEPROM can quite as easily make burn quality worse, as better, it really is a case of trial and error as UBER originally stated, it's just these settings seem to work for this particular media code.

So the settings that got the most consistent results are listed below:

First clear OPC in EEPROM power cycle the drive and then try these settings

IMGBURN SETTINGS:

Layerbreak: Calculate optimal
OPC=OFF

EEPROM SETTINGS:

SB=ON
FHT=ON
OS=OFF
OHT=OFF

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
They should give you a nice stable burn on MKM003 with Singapore discs [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FOR THOSE USING MKM001 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]IT IS NOW WELL KNOWN THAT OVERSPEEDING A MKM001 BURN at x4 SPEED IMPROVES RESULTS, (CREDIT TO NOOBGURU AND MICHAEL2016 FOR THIS TECHNIQUE)

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]IF USING MKM001 MEDIA TRY ONE OF THE FOLLOWING BURNED AT x4 SPEED:
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] 1. THE [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]NOOBGURU AND MICHAEL2016 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]SETTINGS - OPC = ON, OHT = ON, SB = ON, FHT = ON, OS = ON
2. THE LIGHTNING UK! SETTINGS [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- OPC = OFF, OHT = OFF, SB = ON, FHT = OFF, OS = ON[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. ORIGINAL [/FONT][FONT=&quot]LIGHTNING UK! [/FONT][FONT=&quot]MKM003 SETTINGS [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]- OPC = OFF, OHT = OFF, SB = ON, FHT = ON, OS = ON[/FONT]
For my own personal burns "DrunkenNinja" I use the following settings for both MKM001 & MKM003 media, I always burn at x4 speed.

Layerbreak: Calculate optimal
OPC=OFF

EEPROM SETTINGS:

SB=ON
FHT=ON
OS=ON
OHT=OFF

The above settings are convenient as I don't need to mess around with settings when switching between media types and always get nice burns, so the best of both worlds.
[FONT=&quot]Important: You should only Clear OPC and power cycle the drive before the FIRST burn, on every other occation you should not touch any settings, one of the reasons for these tests was so users didn't have to mess about with their drive settings before each burn.

Also With Smart Burn enabled the drive will memorise the last (EIGHT) burns and after this time will formulate a write stratagy best suited to the media, so if your getting slightly erratic but still decent to not acceptable, this is your drive formulating it's write stratagy so please perservire with the same settings and burn some more discs. (This is also evidenced in the scan results made by LIGHTNING UK!) If you are getting terrible results with these discs it is likely to be your drive.

In addition these burns can be done under the normal running conditions of your operating system, forget talk of running in safe mode and clearing processes, neither are applicable here. I know this is is a slightly contoversal view so I am going to Quote LIGHTING UK! on this very subject.

Once the data hits the drive's buffer (which it is doing just fine), your entire system is out of the equation. (With the exception of something like a faulty psu that can't provide enough power to the drive)

The drive and its firmware control every aspect of the burn and the quality of burn you'll eventually end up with. When have you EVER seen burning software say anything in the changelog about improving the write quality on such and such a disc? Exactly, never. That's something you see in firmware release notes.

Doing things like enabling 'Perform OPC Before Write' will change how your drive behaves (internally) and could have a positive/negative effect on burn quality but things like buffer sizes, I/O interfaces, IDE/AHCI etc never will.

*The comment about buffer size not being an issue assumes there are no problems supplying the drive with a steady stream of data - if you're abusing the hdd during the burn, the drive may have to pause now and then until there's enough data for it to start up again. That might introduce a PIE/PIF at the point of relinking but you'd never notice it. You're only burning at about 5.5MB/s at 4x so it's hardly taxing for a modern hdd. The default 40MB buffer will last about 7 seconds without ANYTHING being read from the hdd - and 7 seconds is quite a long time (to a computer) for nothing to happen

To explain the OHT comment made at Result 8 basically when a Media is not recognized no burning strategy is available, therefore OHT and HT are AUTOMATICALY enabled by default, my understanding was that this could not be changed even if selected manually, as this right is lost when using unrecognized media, but Wind the member Lighting UK mentions actually works for LITEON and knows the manufacturer setting codes to disable such functions manually!!!, in this instance LIGHTNING UK is stating that by enabling FHT while also disabling OHT does in fact disable the OHT setting, so it really is quite a puzzle finding the correct settings as they may do more than you think.

LIGHTNING UK! has made hundreds of scans like this in the past for nearly every DVD Drive and Media combination in existence, don't take his results lightly, it is lucky that he was curious enough about a DL Overburn firmware to do these tests, I also just noticed he was using beta beta version of his own software to run them (so we might be in for a treat in future Imgburn versions).

It is my understanding he is now working on a way to get simular quality from the MKM001 discs, I will keep you posted.

I can also tell you that other media was also tested, one of which was Aone gold but I can tell you results were not good as expected.

Many Thanks Lightning UK!! and Wind for additional OHT info.
[/FONT]

Last edited:

[Death]

VIP Member
Mar 8, 2005
South West UK

i defo think it should be a sticky :)

Reactions: ajmlmm

MegaLiftman

VIP Member
Apr 13, 2011
Concrete Jungle

Hmmm might have to break out the MIT's and see if I can get a tune out of this trombone!!!

razblade77

VIP Member
Sep 4, 2011
bedfordshire

thanks [FONT=&quot]LIGHTNING UK and [/FONT]DrunkenNinja going test this out soon and ill let u know.

[Death]

VIP Member
Mar 8, 2005
South West UK

im usin MIT at mo m8, no probs here, still waiting on damn sings turning up :(

MegaLiftman

VIP Member
Apr 13, 2011
Concrete Jungle

Gunna fire one up now. Got a pack of Taiwans that have been sh*te so we will see what happens. Post results in a bit!

N.E.Modz

VIP Member
Sep 27, 2009
A.K.A daleh43

heres my results, best yet with singapore printable verbs

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

still cant get rid of that spike at the beginning tho

dale

mgrover

VIP Member
Jan 16, 2011

please kill me, wasted a 25 pack of tiw...

MegaLiftman

VIP Member
Apr 13, 2011
Concrete Jungle

Heres my results with an MIT and Lightning UK's settings.

Not brilliant but acceptable and alot better than any previous burns with these discs.

Reactions: ratcatcher1

[Death]

VIP Member
Mar 8, 2005
South West UK

May help u also, I always burn in safe mode :)

kamenrider

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2011
UK

[FONT=&quot]EEPROM SETTINGS:

SB=ON
FHT=ON
OS=OFF
OHT=OFF

where are these settings found?
[/FONT]

[Death]

VIP Member
Mar 8, 2005
South West UK

eeprom tool, or inside imgburn advanced settings