XGD3 Quality Test Guidelines

Ubergeek

Xecuter Groupie
Feb 24, 2003
California, USA
FYI This is the kind of setup that works for me and others. Its not "Gospel" and is not set in stone. It is meant as a guide to demonstrate that this can be a flawless process. There are so many variables that can effect the end result and as much as we would love to give you a definitive answer - there isn't one. What we do say is stick to Verbatim MIS (Made In Singapore). Once you have great results go from there and go with the process that works best for YOU.

UPDATED: 10/29/2011

I see lots of confusion so let me clear a few things up

Make sure KProbe2 is set to 4x CLV Scanning

PI MAX should be 100 or less & PI Average should be 5 or less
PIF MAX should be 4 or less & PIF Average should be 0.20 or less
Nero Score should be no less than 90

The fact that the burn verifies at 100% is irrelevant when you are testing the quality through KProbe2 so you may want to not waste your time doing that extra step. It doesn't hurt of course - but if you are running a full Kprobe scan its going to give you your correct verify results anyway regardless of what imgburn tells you.

There are many factors that affect a quality burn and/or test. Too many processes open in the background in Windows, poor quality SATA chipset, SATA set to AHCI instead of IDE can affect results, a dirty disc (fingerprints etc), burning from a fragmented drive (make sure images are on a nicely defraged drive with plenty of free space).

Also there are various settings with the EEPROM / IMGBURN that you can play with such as.....

Smartburn = enabled
Force Hyper Tuning = enabled
Online Hyper Tuning = enabled

Remember Verbatim MKM-001 = 2.4x with OPC in IMGBURN disabled and Verbatim MKM-003 = 4x with OPC in IMGBURN Enabled.

Nothing is set in stone but this is a good guide to put you on the right path. Remember the discs are now being pushed to their limit so the margin of error has been greatly reduced.

Please use this thread to post your success's and tips and tricks. Do not post here asking for advice or asking "does this graph look good".

Note: If you have problems with MKM001 - try this http://www.team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74097

ecko04

Mar 5, 2004
I'll post what I posted yesterday.

Written 10/23/2011

For those who can't get IMGBurn to verify immediately after burning stop trying. HOWEVER, if you still want to try because "it makes you feel better" try these steps. Instead, let the burn complete then go back into IMGBurn and do "Verify Disc".

This method may verify for you just fine, in which case you can stop reading this and continue to KProbe for additional tests.

For others, you may be receiving some I/O Errors. Well, simply saying "I've got I/O Errors" will not help us to diagnose the problem.

I'll briefly go over 1 of the MANY types of I/O Errors. If your I/O error says "The semaphore timeout period has expired", that is a hardware error. In other words, you're running IMGBurn from your main hard disk, while verifying an image on another hard disk, while using an external optical disc drive. Basically, IMGBurn is saying "WTF, information is not cached and i'm tired of resetting the device for it to catch up so i'll throw this error". If you require further explanation, I an give it to you.

Assuming that you're using media that Uber, C4, TX, etc. have approved as working (MKM003 or MKM001) chances are, nothing is wrong with your burn and you can continue to KProbe for further verification.

To solve this issue, try to make all things equal. In other words, don't use an external optical drive enclosure because you're creating a bottleneck and just for verification sake, copy your backup image onto your main hard drive. I know what you're saying, "You just built that massive Core i7 machine and it's capable of curing cancer!" Well it's not.

Just reduce your variables and try again. If you're using a external enclosure for your optical drive you're limited by not only the USB connection but the controller of the external enclosure, and to be frank, most of them suck so you'll receive errors. Like I said, make it easy on yourself.

Chances are, if your backups look like this in KProbe, (this is a XGD3 backup) you're just fine. Also, look at Uber's scans. Like I said before, even if IMGBurn verification fails, you may well have a good disc. The true test lies within KProbe.

If you're still experiencing issues, we need to know the exact type of I/O error you're receiving, the type of disc you're using and information on your setup in order to help you.

Happy verifying!

Last edited:
Reactions: talby71

ecko04

Mar 5, 2004
A little more insight:

I have a iHAS124B in a NexStar DX SATA to USB 2.0 external enclosure. This works just fine and in fact, passes KProbe scan verification. However, it will fail IMGBurn verification and throw I/O errors. Nothing is wrong with the disc though. Chalk the error up to a sh*tty external enclosure controller. Tested using MKM003 and MKM001.

I have an internal iHAS424B which the same disc taken from the iHAS124B will pass verification in IMGBurn with. So once again, don't take everything you see from IMGBurn verification to be fact. Test your media with KProbe.

Furthermore, if you're writing from different hard disk partitions, please make sure your disk isn't fragmented.

IMGBurn settings left to default

MKM001 OPC disabled 2.4x
MKM003 OPC enabled 4x

Last edited:

DigitalGhost

VIP Member
Oct 17, 2011
So just to clarify, MKM-003's should be written at 4x with OPC on for optimum performance?

Because even though I have that type of media, I have still been using 2.4x with OPC off because I wanted to get the best burn possible and did not necessarily need the discs burned in a hurry.

Ubergeek

Xecuter Groupie
Feb 24, 2003
California, USA
So just to clarify, MKM-003's should be written at 4x with OPC on for optimum performance?

Because even though I have that type of media, I have still been using 2.4x with OPC off because I wanted to get the best burn possible and did not necessarily need the discs burned in a hurry.
use your noodle

try both and see which gives you best results and then post your findings

DigitalGhost

VIP Member
Oct 17, 2011
use your noodle

try both and see which gives you best results and then post your findings
Will do, I'm getting a new external enclosure today anyway so I need to test that.

My burns have mostly been fine so far, scoring under 100 PI, but PIF was 6 on one of them.

jivex5k

Dec 20, 2004
NC
Also there are various settings with the EEPROM Utility that you can play with such as.....

Smartburn = enabled
Force Hyper Tuning = enabled
Online Hyper Tuning = enabled
You can set this in IMGBurn as well if you go to Tools>Drives>Change Advanced Settings>LiteOn

bobby621

Noob Account
Jan 31, 2011
interesting read I found.
_http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/2290-verify-after-burning.html

This is great info for readers, I am well aquinted with these tests and it is amazing just how Sh!t a burn can be even when verified, highly recommended!!!

You can also try Opti Drive control, a full guide on how to use the soft can be found here:

http://www.optidrivecontrol.com/files/OptiDriveControl.pdf

Last edited:

charincol

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2011
Colorado
I was getting huge spikes in PI of 400 - 1600 and PIF of 30 - 300 with my first 124 flashed as various models (very similar to the results above.) Every burn was terrible around the layer break and "perfect" everywhere else..

Replaced it with a second 124 purchased from a different source and started playing with different configurations.

Finally got good results with 2nd drive crossflashed as 524.

Same Verbatim media the whole time - only took 18 discs to find a happy combo.

Burn Proof - Off
OPC, SmartBurn, Force HT, Online HT - On
Speed - 4x

You'll just have to find what works for your computer since there's hundreds of thousands of setups out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: dynamix

jant90

VIP Member
Jan 26, 2010
At first I couldn't get ANY 4x OPC MKM003 burns verified with ImgBurn (2.4x burns were fine, only the Kprobe scans looked just 'okay', not great like I want to). So I just had to burn my MKM003 (which are rated at 8x) at 4x speed but I always ended up with errors at 50% during verification.

After a few burns I enabled hypertuning and online hypertuning in the EEPROM (and smartburn was enabled by default) and I got over the 50% during verification but then I got thrown some miscompare errors (3 in total). Somebody informed me that might be caused by bad RAM and because I wanted to take all possible sources of error out of the question I decided to test my memory.

I tested 2 (out of 4) of my RAM modules with memtest86+ and they both showed no errors after 1 pass of testing, as those 2 modules make up for 4GB of RAM in total I removed the other 2 completely and decided to go on with just those 2 (that are pretty surely error-free, even though I ran tests for only 1 pass).

I changed SATA port on my motherboard and hooked up the burner with a brand new SATA cable freshly unpacked from a sealed package.

Then I decided to try again, the burn fully verified and the Kprobe scans started to look better. This is my first successful burn at 4x w/ OPC and hypertuning, ofc a XGD3 game (Warhammer 40k: Space Marine):

So to sum it up:
  1. Verbatim MKM003 (printable) DVD+R DL's
  2. Brand new Lite-On iHAS324
  3. Burned at 4x with OPC
  4. Enabled hypertuning and online hypertuning
  5. Changed S-ATA port and used a brand new S-ATA cable

navydude

Noob Account
Aug 2, 2011
I have burned 7 disc's all being bad. Changed opc , i changed burn speed to a manualy set 2.4x, tried all settings in eeprom except ovespeed, upgraded from 224 to 624 then back to 224 then back to 624, I tried using x360usb to burn an a different pc (all-in-one) with no sata connector,the all-in-one is only two weeks old and very stable so at this point im unsure what the hell to do. I am using Kodak media as you can see the id in the picture. Never had one bad burn untill now (F*#$ XGD3) :mad2:

navydude

Noob Account
Aug 2, 2011
Yeah..i guess...but i dont think thats my problem...if it is i will order the f**kers tonight!