XGD3 Quality Test Guidelines

ihasproblems1

Nov 8, 2011
A follow up from my previous post. I've gotten my best results yet burning MKM003 MIS at 2.4x with OPC on, OPC cleared before burn, and SB/HT/OHT all on:

Still a massive spike at the layer break, but getting closer to acceptable levels. I'm currently freeing up another 100GB on my hard drive (already at 0% fragmentation) and trying the new settings LightningUK himself recommends. If I still don't get anywhere, I'm going to have to pop the drive into a different computer and see if my luck changes. I've already set myself back at least $15 in coastered MIS Verbs, so here's to hoping things improve sooner rather than later.

EDIT Tried LightningUK's recommended settings and got my worst result yet:

Last edited:

jbblackbird

Aug 2, 2005
have you tried clearing the opc history and rebooting your computer and not starting any other programs? This is what worked for me.

Sunseng

Noob Account
Nov 9, 2011
Hi all, newbie here, just wanna say, I have a LITEON iHas 122-04B DVD burner, then I crossflash it with iExtreme Burner Max firmware iHAS-124B-AL0S-MKM001MKM003-final.
After that I burn my backup XGD3 disc, with IMGBurn and Verbatim MKM003, with setting as suggested by Ubergeek:
- write speed 4x
- OPC on
- Smartburn on
- Force HT on
- Online HT on
- Overspeed off
But before it run, I clear the OPC history first, then burn it and I got a 93% disc quality Nero5, as shown by the picture :)

ihasproblems1

Nov 8, 2011
have you tried clearing the opc history and rebooting your computer and not starting any other programs? This is what worked for me.
Yup. Cleared OPC history, rebooted, tried running ImgBurn with realtime priority, nothing. Tried the drive in a different PC which has an XP install with nothing but JungleFlasher and system drivers installed, no internet connection even, and it yielded the same crappy results. Just ordered an iHAS324 overnighted from Amazon and am praying I get a B revision.

jbblackbird

Aug 2, 2005
you said something about jungleflasher, do you have an external enclosure? what are you using jungleflasher for? Maybe you need to go straight sata to motherboard.

ihasproblems1

Nov 8, 2011
you said something about jungleflasher, do you have an external enclosure? what are you using jungleflasher for? Maybe you need to go straight sata to motherboard.
JungleFlasher is on there is because it's the PC I use for modding my 360s. I've got iXtreme revisions, drive backups, NAND dumps, etc. on there and nothing else. It's a dedicated mod-station.

Not using an external enclosure. Just tried a couple more burns on that rig, still crap, worse than my other PC with the ICH7 chipset. Just going to have to wait for my iHAS324 to show up.

sparky53

Jan 2, 2012
Date : 2012-01-02 19:14:22
Model : 0-0-1-0 ATAPI iHAS124 B AL0S
Disc : DVD+R DL , MKM003 [Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation]
Speed : 2x
ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
Scanned range : 0 - 4267021
Sampling count : 245236
Errors : 0
PI Max : 733
PI Average : 19,68
PI Total : 615044
PIF Max : 45
PIF Average : 0,64
PIF Total : 19865

Followed this guide http://www.team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74721

any help plz?

after 5 unsuccessful burns (all max PI over 400)using all different settings ive settled on these

ihas 124b using x360usb pro and drive mounted in a tower using internal power supply. verbatim 8x 46666 mkm 003-00 from amazon uk.

cleared opc history then power cycled the drive

- Write Speed - 4x
- OPC - off
- Smartburn - on
- Force HT - off
- Online HT - off
- Overspeed - off

keep getting spikes at layer break. are there any suggested setting that may help this??

this is a second burn of a different game (skyrim) with same settings. didnt power cycle drive or clear opc with this one first.

Last edited:

deadliner

Aug 3, 2011
Your max pif is over the recommended limit. The same thing is happening to me, but all of my other results are great. Just the pif is going over 4 continually.

mespo365

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2010
USA
after 5 unsuccessful burns (all max PI over 400)using all different settings ive settled on these

ihas 124b using x360usb pro and drive mounted in a tower using internal power supply. verbatim 8x 46666 mkm 003-00 from amazon uk.

cleared opc history then power cycled the drive

- Write Speed - 4x
- OPC - off
- Smartburn - on
- Force HT - off
- Online HT - off
- Overspeed - off

Link To Image

keep getting spikes at layer break. are there any suggested setting that may help this??

this is a second burn of a different game (skyrim) with same settings. didnt power cycle drive or clear opc with this one first.

Link To Image
Thats really not bad. My drive tends to have a bit of trouble at layerbreak. Its most likely the drive, as my buddies on my computer is fine.

I wouldnt worry if its just a tad over. These are just guidelines. People have been playing with much worse.

deadliner

Aug 3, 2011
I wouldnt worry if its just a tad over. These are just guidelines. People have been playing with much worse.
What if PIF is the only thing that is just a tad over by 1 or 2, but Nero rates it a 56%? Why would Nero give it such a bad score if all KProbe results are excellent, with the exception of PIF being a 5 or 6?

DrunkenNinja

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2011
RGH
What if PIF is the only thing that is just a tad over by 1 or 2, but Nero rates it a 56%? Why would Nero give it such a bad score if all KProbe results are excellent, with the exception of PIF being a 5 or 6?
Because the Parity Inner Failure (PIF) is the most important value, plus thats rubbish Nero would not rate a disc at 56% with a value or 5 or 6 more like 7 or 8.

J3rk My Turk3y

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2010
Manchester
After trying all different settings and buying media from different sources. I still could never get a decent burn that was in the guidelines set by ubergeek.
I orderd a dell XPS 8300 as a few people on the irc channels said to upgrade my pc as it had a amd processor. This is my spec and my results upto yet.

Intel i7 2600 sandybridge quad core Processor
Dell 0Y2MRG Motherboard
6GB of Dual DDR3
460 Whatt PSU

Img Burn Settings
OPC ON
OHT ON
FHT ON
SMARTBURN OFF
4 x

I have been on the image burn site and the kprobe site to try and gather some more information and i stumbled upon this. "If you just got your Lite-On Burner: The first two burns might not be a clear indication of the quality of the discs.
After about the 4th or 5th disc is where the drive calibration to work correctly and show more realistic Kprobe results".
After reading this in theory my results should get better than what they are now, in a couple more burns. I think this is the end of the chapter for me having failed kprobe2 tests.
One annoying thing is kpobe2 will now work on my new pc hence the nero disk speed test above. When i open the program the part where the speed setting box is ment to be it is missing. If i run in safe mode and use kprobe2 it works. I have tried in compatability mode and the same.

Last edited:

DrunkenNinja

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2011
RGH
After trying all different settings and buying media from different sources. I still could never get a decent burn that was in the guidelines set by ubergeek.
I orderd a dell XPS 8300 as a few people on the irc channels said to upgrade my pc as it had a amd processor. This is my spec and my results upto yet.

Intel i7 2600 sandybridge quad core Processor
Dell 0Y2MRG Motherboard
6GB of Dual DDR3
460 Whatt PSU

Img Burn Settings
OPC ON
OHT ON
FHT ON
SMARTBURN OFF
4 x
Link To Image

I have been on the image burn site and the kprobe site to try and gather some more information and i stumbled upon this. "If you just got your Lite-On Burner: The first two burns might not be a clear indication of the quality of the discs.
After about the 4th or 5th disc is where the drive calibration to work correctly and show more realistic Kprobe results".
After reading this in theory my results should get better than what they are now, in a couple more burns. I think this is the end of the chapter for me having failed kprobe2 tests.
One annoying thing is kpobe2 will now work on my new pc hence the nero disk speed test above. When i open the program the part where the speed setting box is ment to be it is missing. If i run in safe mode and use kprobe2 it works. I have tried in compatability mode and the same.
Try downloading Kprobe 2 again, I remember someone having this problem before and it was fixed when they downloaded it again, having said that Nero Discspeed will also do a grand job of analyzing your discs, it also has that nice green yellow orange red ratio that kprobe misses out on, and graphs are written in real time, personally I favor it over kprobe.

I'm onto dvdinfo pro now and find it the best of the lot, I must say it's top notch and worth the small fee.

A PIF Max of (3) is very good so it's definitely a keeper, don't worry too much about the PIE results, just make sure they are below (100) and your good to go, and yes results should improve with those settings but don't expect PIF results of (1) anytime cause it most likely won't happen, maybe a (2) after some time, maybe.

Reactions: J3rk My Turk3y

J3rk My Turk3y

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2010
Manchester
Thank you for your reply mate. I will just carry on with nero disk speed if it is not that bad. Reinstalled and kprobe2 is the same. Im just over the moon that finaly i dont have any more tea coaster's comming out of my pc. I have spent like £900.00 in total trying to get a good xgd3 burn lmao. Thats including the pc and im backing up all my games like no one's buissnes so ill burn some more and see what i get after four or five burns as this was my first one.

Reactions: DrunkenNinja

DrunkenNinja

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2011
RGH
Thank you for your reply mate. I will just carry on with nero disk speed if it is not that bad. Reinstalled and kprobe2 is the same. Im just over the moon that finaly i dont have any more tea coaster's comming out of my pc. I have spent like £900.00 in total trying to get a good xgd3 burn lmao. Thats including the pc and im backing up all my games like no one's buissnes so ill burn some more and see what i get after four or five burns as this was my first one.
That's dedicated (be sure to give a donation to JF also).

If you have any problems please read through my thread:

http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74721

It seems you are using the settings provided in my thread so feel free to post any questions you might have there.

J3rk My Turk3y

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2010
Manchester
Just done another burn. This one is not as good but the drive is still learning i guess. It is still in the parameters so im still happy with the result.