Zephyr Problems? Read Here ! *** UPDATED AUGUST 10TH 2013 ***

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2010
Colne, Lancashire (UK)
Re: Zephyr Problems? Read Here !

spent the money on a superfluous JRP v2 thinking that measuring s*it would make a difference. Well, no. (having the v1.1 upgraded version + 2 NAND-X already I see that JRPV2's only difference to JRP v1.1 is the code in the pic chip + the extra wires for "rater" so maybe it could be converted to v2 easily, not that it matters now that I have them both)
The JRP v2 is an awesome piece of kit (hundreds if not thousands of units have already been sold) and in my opinion, it should be part of every serious modder's tool kit.

The code on the JRP v2 is different and it also includes POST TTL which the v1 doesn't have - if you find a way to make RATER work with the JRP v1, please tell us.

Back to the topic - the new Zephyr code is being heavily tested as we speak and we are doing our very best to perform rigorous tests on our Zephyr consoles so that the final product can be used without any problems on your consoles.

pengekcs

BANNED
Mar 1, 2010
EU

Thanks.

I am really a bit eager now to try this v1.1 R-JTAG on my zephyr.

As of JRP v2. Since I was not involved in creating it I cannot tell for sure - but just looking at v1.1 and v2 they seem eerily the same *with the exception* of the added lines for rater. Plus obviously the microchip pic code of course that is clear. Anyway the rater idea is solid and it works well no problem with that.

bluebottle

Jan 19, 2011
nr Petersfield Hants UK

So is the new version v1.1 on back order on the ck3 site? As Bl4k3y has informed us its still being tested. I am confused (nothing new there :) ). It would be nice to know how you will support people like myself and pengekcs, a vnc session sounds safe to me, nice and quick too. Cheers

Last edited:

Xecuter

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 6, 2002
Asia
team-xecuter.com
Re: Zephyr Problems? Read Here ! *** UPDATED AUGUST 2ND 2013 ***

AUGUST 2ND 2013 UPDATE:

After testing many different Zephyr's we found there are 3 types so far. We have changed the hardware to a new version (v1.1). All resellers will have these in stock by now, and if they are not advertising v1.1 and you have a Zephyr insist that the version they send you is v1.1. It will not matter if you have a Falcon/Opus/Jasper. This does not mean that the v1.0 was faulty, we wouldn't have shipped it if our Zephyrs didn't work, of course not. What it means is that after large usage a number of customers found that they had one of the versions that we did not know about. As soon as we discovered this we launched a plan to get as many of these as we could so we could make any necessary changes or additions. There is no way to tell you if a v1.1 will work or if a v1.2 will be released in future. If there is a new release then we will not swap any v1.1 for v1.2 or any other subsequent version as we are giving full notice of this policy so it shouldn't be of any surprise. We are offering to change the v1.0 to v1.1 for Zephyr users as a gesture of goodwill.

Now bear in mind Zephyrs suck. Even if it glitches there is every chance that it won't boot due to the fact that the board requires a reflow or better still a reball - especially the CPU/GPU.

We have 19 Zephyr's in our possession and every single one of them works with v1.1 (half of those required a reflow at least). This is great but we cannot guarantee that they will work with every Zephyr.

Along with all the different ways to fine tune a Zephyr there are also two new options with v1.1

1. The DIP switch settings have changed
JASPER DIP 7-8 ON ON
ZEPHYR DIP 7-8 OFF OFF <---- NEW
FALCON DIP 7-8 ON OFF

These remain as 1.0:

FALCON DIP 7-8 ON OFF
JASPER DIP 7-8 ON ON
ZEPHYR DIP 7-8 OFF ON

2. You can also use a FALCON NAND (basically use Falcon 5770 CB) with the new ZEPHYR setting.

I know there are users who have an R-JTAG v1.0 and they can't get it to work on their Zephyr. While there is never any guarantee that if you can't get it to work you can return it, we will in this case accept R-JTAG v1.0's from Zephyr users who wish to get a v1.1 model. This will be done on a RTB (Return to Base) basis only i.e. You ship the R-JTAG itself (no packaging / wires / qsb's etc) to one of our collection addresses in China at your expense and we will arrange a return shipped item at our expense.

We have setup a special email address for users to contact and make the necessary arrangements: [email protected]

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

pengekcs

BANNED
Mar 1, 2010
EU

This is very good news - I am contacting you about this. I only have one question: how could we make use of a falcon NAND with this (you wrote as option 2) ? Get a donor falcon with 5770? or use cb_5770 from the jrunner /common/ directory? How is it supposed to work, and should we try it?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

COMPLETE_TOOL

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2011
ny

Thank you Xecuter for standing by your product

Xecuter

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 6, 2002
Asia
team-xecuter.com

I'm a dumbass I posted the wrong ZEPHYR v1.1 settings. The correct ones are:

JASPER DIP 7-8 ON ON
FALCON DIP 7-8 ON OFF

If the Zephyr fails to boot on 2E, it is glitching correctly and the R-JTAG is working perfectly - the problem is that the CPU needs a reflow / reball.

Sun_Lizard

Dec 8, 2002
This side of the sun

Zephyr with same problem as pengecks (Same 4569 CB).

Tried the new settings (and various DIPS switched on -- methodically, of course). Before start stepping the voltage on the R-JTAG, is it worth trying to utilize a Falcon Donor first, or step the voltages on original image and THEN got to FALCON.

Since I"m thinking just to to step voltages first since I know how to solder but will have to learn how to build an image with a donor nand (especially from another box type...)

Input?

RF1911

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2011

Get any falcon nand, and when i say any i also include old 9199 premade jtag images (google is your friend), load it in jrunner and create Xell for rjtag. Flash it and select new setting on chip. Please report back including post log. Thanks.

Reactions: pengekcs

jsinger47

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Feb 6, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI

Get any falcon nand, and when i say any i also include old 9199 premade jtag images (google is your friend), load it in jrunner and create Xell for rjtag. Flash it and select new setting on chip. Please report back including post log. Thanks.
Alternatively, just write "falcon_hack_aud_clamp.bin" from the common/xell folder of JR.

EDIT: Having full NAND would probably be a better choice.

Xecuter

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 6, 2002
Asia
team-xecuter.com
AUGUST 10TH 2013 UPDATE:

We are now seeing users getting their Zephyrs to work, however as expected the boards are awful quality and require a reflow/reball to the CPU/GPU/RAM.

We have confirmed the following RATER POST error codes:

Zephyr RJTAG stock smc:

Hang on fast 2E locks up = 0110 -> CPU/GPU/RAM Related
Hang on 40, 41 or 42 = 0102 -> CPU/GPU/RAM Related
Hang on long 2E = 0022 -> General HW Error

nofeloniesyet

VIP Member
Jan 16, 2011
Nowhere
AUGUST 10TH 2013 UPDATE:

We are now seeing users getting their Zephyrs to work, however as expected the boards are awful quality and require a reflow/reball to the CPU/GPU/RAM.

Zephyr RJTAG stock smc:

0110 can also be caused by gpu

[email protected]

VIP Member
Jun 21, 2012
AUGUST 10TH 2013 UPDATE:

The quality of Zephyr board is as bad as the quality of Falcon board. They both share one and the same GPU that fall off the board sooner of later.

Zephyr RJTAG stock smc:

My Zephyr gives me 2E, however both the CPU and GPU were re-balled, stock nand image boots fine. Well, eventually R-JTAG boots, it might take 100 glitch cycles. If I put a piece of paper between CPU heatsink and fan shroud and heat the processor up it boots from the first or second glitch every time. Definitely R-JTAG hack isn't suitable for Zephyr at this moment.

I have another Zephyr with re-balled GPU, R-JTAG gave me 2E also. I tried to lift the CPU in order to reball it but failed to perform a clean lift. Motherboard is still alive. If anyone is willing to ship me Xenon/Zephyr CPU (I'm in the U.S.) I will try again and post the results with images here. I will pre-ball the CPU myself.

Last edited:

chronic1553

VIP Member
Jun 5, 2010
USA
Eugene PM me I have a xenon with a dead MB I could pull the cpu off of and send you.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

oO Elite Oo

VIP Member
Sep 3, 2011
In your Nand

AUGUST 2ND 2013 UPDATE:

After testing many different Zephyr's we found there are 3 types so far. We have changed the hardware to a new version (v1.1). All resellers will have these in stock by now, and if they are not advertising v1.1 and you have a Zephyr insist that the version they send you is v1.1. It will not matter if you have a Falcon/Opus/Jasper. This does not mean that the v1.0 was faulty, we wouldn't have shipped it if our Zephyrs didn't work, of course not. What it means is that after large usage a number of customers found that they had one of the versions that we did not know about. As soon as we discovered this we launched a plan to get as many of these as we could so we could make any necessary changes or additions. There is no way to tell you if a v1.1 will work or if a v1.2 will be released in future. If there is a new release then we will not swap any v1.1 for v1.2 or any other subsequent version as we are giving full notice of this policy so it shouldn't be of any surprise. We are offering to change the v1.0 to v1.1 for Zephyr users as a gesture of goodwill.

Now bear in mind Zephyrs suck. Even if it glitches there is every chance that it won't boot due to the fact that the board requires a reflow or better still a reball - especially the CPU/GPU.

We have 19 Zephyr's in our possession and every single one of them works with v1.1 (half of those required a reflow at least). This is great but we cannot guarantee that they will work with every Zephyr.

Along with all the different ways to fine tune a Zephyr there are also two new options with v1.1

1. The DIP switch settings have changed
JASPER DIP 7-8 ON ON
FALCON DIP 7-8 ON OFF

These remain as 1.0:

FALCON DIP 7-8 ON OFF
JASPER DIP 7-8 ON ON
ZEPHYR DIP 7-8 OFF ON

2. You can also use a FALCON NAND (basically use Falcon 5770 CB) with the new ZEPHYR setting.

I know there are users who have an R-JTAG v1.0 and they can't get it to work on their Zephyr. While there is never any guarantee that if you can't get it to work you can return it, we will in this case accept R-JTAG v1.0's from Zephyr users who wish to get a v1.1 model. This will be done on a RTB (Return to Base) basis only i.e. You ship the R-JTAG itself (no packaging / wires / qsb's etc) to one of our collection addresses in China at your expense and we will arrange a return shipped item at our expense.

We have setup a special email address for users to contact and make the necessary arrangements: [email protected]

Thank you
Beautiful! This what is what you call Customers satisfaction, im glad TX are offering Free upgrade to v1.1...Awesome :)