GENERAL Zephyr RROD - 0031. - Please HELP

Ashwin

Mar 3, 2014
Recently bought a Halo 3 Special Edition Zephyr off of eBay and found it was missing a capacitor. (16V 1500uF) and the other with the caps blown..
Replaced both with (25V 2200uF) capacitors.(couldn't find 16V 1500uF in my area.... )
Both capacitors are the ones that supply power to the GPU(checked with the Zephyr schematics).
Still getting 0031 error... I tried replacing the DVD Cables.... No luck.
Seller claims he dropped the power brick while the XBOX was ON and immediately went to 3RROD and fans stopped spinning. I can see some brown discoloration on the surface of the board near the capacitors and MOSFETs.
Could it be a blown MOSFET or does it need a reflow???
BTW: Its not JTAGged or RGH'd or R-JTAGed. BenQ VAD6038 flashed with LT3.0.

Please help.......

Thanks in advance.....

Ashwin

Mar 3, 2014
TX Product(s) used: None..(No JTAG, RGH/RGH2,R-JTAG)
Console Type: Zephyr(Halo 3 Special Edition)
Manufactured on: 2007-08-01
Dashboard version: 2.0.16537.0
CB version: Unknown
DVD-Drive: BenQ VAD6038
Firmware: LT+3.0
Description of problem:
Recently bought off eBay. No X-Clamp fix done. Missing capacitor(16V 1500uF). 3RROD. Secondary error code 0031.
Console instantly powers off after switching on. On the bottom side of the board U6T1 is missing(fell off).
Problem started after power brick was dropped on floor.

Console was working fine prior to the incident.

Tried replacing capacitors. Still no luck... Is it because of U6T1 ?

ultimate360

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2013
MN, USA
TX Product(s) used: None..(No JTAG, RGH/RGH2,R-JTAG)
Console Type: Zephyr(Halo 3 Special Edition)
Manufactured on: 2007-08-01
Dashboard version: 2.0.16537.0
CB version: Unknown
DVD-Drive: BenQ VAD6038
Firmware: LT+3.0
Description of problem:
Recently bought off eBay. No X-Clamp fix done. Missing capacitor(16V 1500uF). 3RROD. Secondary error code 0031.
Console instantly powers off after switching on. On the bottom side of the board U6T1 is missing(fell off).
Problem started after power brick was dropped on floor.

Console was working fine prior to the incident.

Tried replacing capacitors. Still no luck... Is it because of U6T1 ?

Was it ever working with the bad caps?

Reactions: Ashwin

XDK

VIP Member
someone will say this so I might as well , this is a TX product support forum the best advice anyone can give u is dont buy things off ebay if u dont know how to fix them that being said goodluck.

Ashwin

Mar 3, 2014
Apparently it was.... someone suggested that I bridge U6T1 and U6T2 points. Is that supposed to help ?

ultimate360

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2013
MN, USA
Get out a donor board and pull off the pieces you need and solder them in place of where they broke off on your zephyr board. Also, if it was working then suddenly not working, I'd check into the gpu as well. I've had to reball many zephyr gpu's to clear a 0031 error. Good luck sir

Ashwin

Mar 3, 2014
I checked and the U6T1 is way too small for my soldering iron to remove and solder onto my board without damaging it.... Also, it appears that someone had already replaced one of the 712 48 13NG and 721 48 06NG MOSFETs. Is there any way to test the MOSFETs....?

ultimate360

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2013
MN, USA
I checked and the U6T1 is way too small for my soldering iron to remove and solder onto my board without damaging it.... Also, it appears that someone had already replaced one of the 712 48 13NG and 721 48 06NG MOSFETs. Is there any way to test the MOSFETs....?
To my understanding, you have to remove them first before you can test them.

gazcoigne

BANNED
Jan 31, 2005
Belfast, UK
IMHO your wasting time on a board that will most likely fail anyway after you manage to fix it.

you can pick up phats for pennies nowadays, i got a falcon with busted dvd tray for £10 the other day, was able to fix it with spare drive i had lying around.

£10 for console with 120gb hdd power brick and controller. not bad eh?

ultimate360

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2013
MN, USA
IMHO your wasting time on a board that will most likely fail anyway after you manage to fix it.

you can pick up phats for pennies nowadays, i got a falcon with busted dvd tray for £10 the other day, was able to fix it with spare drive i had lying around.

£10 for console with 120gb hdd power brick and controller. not bad eh?
I wish I could get them that cheap... I would've had to pay about $50-60 for that bundle... People still think they are worth something. That's pretty funny considering how anyone can get a brand new sealed box slim for only $100... Sigh